LM MATE 19 - Funny thing happened after first S/W Update

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srq2625

LM MATE 19 - Funny thing happened after first S/W Update

Post by srq2625 »

Yes, I know this is still beta, which is why I'm posing in "Chat about Linux Mint" and not in one of the support sub-fora...

First - my machine:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: desktop Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx serial: N/A
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2901 date: 05/04/2016
Battery    hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh volts: NA
           model: Logitech Marathon Mouse/Performance Plus M705 serial: <filter>status: Discharging
CPU:       8 core AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core (-MCP-) arch: Bulldozer rev.0 cache: 16384 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 60678
           clock speeds: max: 3554 MHz 1: 3554 MHz 2: 1713 MHz 3: 3534 MHz 4: 3546 MHz 5: 3428 MHz
           6: 1678 MHz 7: 1892 MHz 8: 1681 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] bus-ID: 07:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dc4
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1600x1200@60.00hz, 1600x1200@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA GF106 High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 07:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0be9
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-23-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: b000 bus-ID: 0a:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: enp10s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (29.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_860 size: 500.1GB serial: <filter>
Partition: ID-1: / size: 46G used: 6.9G (16%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: /home size: 397G used: 114G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      System: supported: N/A
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 21.8C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:47C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
           deb http://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages tara main upstream import backport
           deb http://mirror.cogentco.com/pub/linux/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://mirror.cogentco.com/pub/linux/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://mirror.cogentco.com/pub/linux/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner
Info:      Processes: 216 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 1624.3/15934.3MB
           Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191 running in mate-terminal) inxi: 2.3.56 
With a fresh install, and before the first update, the "network icon" (I don't know what to call it) in the panel shows a little pig-tail (I guess that's supposed to be the Cat5 cord?). Anyway, it's there all pretty before the first system update (using the Update Manager). After the update, the icon is showing the network connection as being disconnected. Click on it and select the connection and it "establishes" a connection and then it says the connection has been disconnected. But, when it's finished that, my connection to my router (and thus to the internet) is still functional.

It's almost like there's a flag set and it gets toggled, which causes a routine to run, which interrogates the state of the toggle to determine which notice to display - only I think it's interpreting the value of the flag incorrectly. Weird. As you can see from the system up-time, I've rebooted the computer a couple of times and the behavior is persistent across reboots.

Maybe it'll be corrected in a patch sometime before LM MATE 19 goes final.

Anyway, just thought someone might be interested in this and, maybe, can corroborate what I'm seeing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: LM MATE 19 - Funny thing happened after first S/W Update

Post by gm10 »

Are you sure you are not just misinterpreting the icon? The default Mint-Y icon set has kinda weird icons. The open network socket means you are connected.

Mint 19 is final btw.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I see the same thing on MATE 19 on my pcloud icon on the panel, it looks like an icon-and-a-half, sort of fish-tailed as you describe. It doesn't affect pcloud itself though. With all the updates you should have the final Mint 19 up-to-date release now.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 pm Are you sure you are not just misinterpreting the icon? The default Mint-Y icon set has kinda weird icons. The open network socket means you are connected.

Mint 19 is final btw.
Understood, but clicking on the icon causes two notifications to appear:

- Connection established
- Connection disconnected

In that order.

Whatever - it still works a dream.

Oh, changing the theme turns the icon into the "unplugged" icon. So, I don't really know what's going on.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Wait, now I am confused. All clicking the network manager icon should do is pop up a menu, not cause any connections/disconnections. I think I might need a screenshot to see what you are looking at and what you are clicking on. If it matters to you that is. ;)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:29 amI might need a screenshot to see what you are looking at
I think that will be useful as well.

Here's how with a wired connection the "pigtail" icon and menu look for me:
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:29 am Wait, now I am confused. All clicking the network manager icon should do is pop up a menu, not cause any connections/disconnections. I think I might need a screenshot to see what you are looking at and what you are clicking on. If it matters to you that is. ;)
You're right. Click the icon for the menu, right click (or was it left click) the wired connection line to get the two notifications.

And, yes it does matter - I would like to understand what is happening and how, if possible, I can correct the issue.

Also, please know I first noticed this after a large number of adjustments (following Pjotr's 10 things to do first in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon pages). I couldn't make sense of it or correct it so, since I had nothing to loose, I did a fresh re-install. The pig-tail was there. I did the first update (using Update Manager), rebooted, and the pig-tail was gone and the icon had changed. No other changes to the system. I did note that both mint-x and mint-y packages were updated in that first update, making me wonder if that is what was changed. I don't know - at this point, I'm just throwing darts at the wall, hoping something will stick.

Anyway - I should be able to post pics around 2000 GMT - at work now and the machine in question isn't. :)
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

This is the icon right after booting the computer
01_RightAfterBoot.png
Applying a different theme, just to help me avoid confusion
02_AfterBoot_DifferentTheme.png
And this is the menu presented when I click on the icon
03OneClick_Menu.jpg
One last image on next post....
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Finally, this is the first notice I get when clicking on "Wired connection 1"
04_OnFirstClick.jpg
Then a second notice comes up saying the connection has been disconnected and that I'm now off-line. But, of course, my connection is still working.

Too funny.

Finally, note that this happened on a clean, fresh install with only the first update applied.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ok, so that icon showing there (in all pictures) means you're connected, so there's nothing wrong with that.

And clicking an established connection will disconnect and then re-connect you, so that's working as intended as well (I'm not sure why you are getting the messages in the wrong order but w/e).

So except for that notification lag it's all working as intended.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm Ok, so that icon showing there (in all pictures) means you're connected, so there's nothing wrong with that.
I have always thought the icon in the second image is showing the connection NOT established.
gm10 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm And clicking an established connection will disconnect and then re-connect you, so that's working as intended as well (I'm not sure why you are getting the messages in the wrong order but w/e).
Yep and that's one of the things that's been throwing me.
gm10 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm So except for that notification lag it's all working as intended.
About this I really don't care....as long as the connection actually works.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

srq2625 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:08 pm I have always thought the icon in the second image is showing the connection NOT established.
I agree, I think I already said that the icons are all a bit weird. But you can just click on disconnect in the popup menu and you'll see the difference.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Well, I finally resolved it for me - I changed the theme:
  • First I changed the theme to the "Mint-Y-Darker" - which I think is the new default
  • Then I customized it by changing the icons to "MATE", which I like better anyway.
  • Job done - now the connection icon has the pigtail on it again. Happy-Happy, Joy-Joy!
So, thanks all (especially gm10) for bearing with me through this <humor>huge</humor> ordeal!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”