Things I Love About LinuxMint 19

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Things I Love About LinuxMint 19

Post by Portreve »

I knew going into this, from having used the beta version of LM 19, that this was going to be a big improvement over what came before.

It's repetitive, but I just cannot believe how much snappier Cinnamon is under 19 than it ever was before. I also am so pleasantly surprised that my system fans (this is a laptop we're talking about here) aren't running like they were, and again I'm certain this is down to Clem and Co. finding ways of further optimizing things.

However, the thing which occasioned this post in the first place is the new (new I think) Timeshift utility. I had to step and fetch a disk to dedicate to this, mind you, but once I set it up, it's trivial to use.

I don't use the regular backup utility because it doesn't really fill a need for me, but I imagine it is a good idea for many.

So... what have the rest of you folks found in LM 19 that you really like? Anything you can't imagine you lived without previously?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Things I Love About LinuxMint 19

Post by JosephM »

Glad you're enjoying it :)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
rich_h

Post by rich_h »

Two words: BLUETOOTH WORKS!

[happy]
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Two words - WINE doesn't :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Should I install it alongside my 18.3 Cinnamon??

I really really, don't want to loose all the tweaks that I have just finished polishing up...

they are so hard to remember, even when you take notes ( and always leave most of them out )

little things that don't seem like much, but makes life sooo much easier. Defaults for certain things that can only be done in Terminal..... and sheesh, I wish I had written each and every one of them down.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I installed LM19 Cinnamon in this little HP TX2000 this afternoon.
The only thing I noticed is the selection of buttons and top panel colors are extremely limited. I always preferred "Aging Gorilla",
Now I only have a choice of light, Gray, or washed out dark with little non contrasting buttons :?
Speed and operation is virtually identical to LM18.3.
I appreciate the install of the microcode as part of the kernal install,
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 pm Should I install it alongside my 18.3 Cinnamon??

I really really, don't want to loose all the tweaks that I have just finished polishing up...

they are so hard to remember, even when you take notes ( and always leave most of them out )

little things that don't seem like much, but makes life sooo much easier. Defaults for certain things that can only be done in Terminal..... and sheesh, I wish I had written each and every one of them down.
To simplify new installs I go to my posts and all the problems etc. which were solved are there. If you have a lot of posts that is difficult so I put links to each important post in an easily found former post, one which is unlikely to be depreciated . It takes me just under an hour to personalize a new install.

My twekes are adding transparency to my theme (Aubergine), Changing the print screen option from Pictures to Downloads, and Custom icons. Those are the only ones which I fail to remember at new installs.

The one new thing I like best is that the install includes everything so little is left to deal with. The install also was a breeze with the Torrent download of the ISO which took less than 10 minutes . The install of 19 itself went well with only a couple of changes noted there and that was just as fast as ever with a USB dongle.
Last edited by Ozo on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 pm It's repetitive, but I just cannot believe how much snappier Cinnamon is under 19 than it ever was before.
+1 to that!
Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 pm However, the thing which occasioned this post in the first place is the new (new I think) Timeshift utility. I had to step and fetch a disk to dedicate to this, mind you, but once I set it up, it's trivial to use.
On my first install, I set up an ext4 partition dedicated to Timeshift and nothing else. I plan to play with that for a while before migrating my other production machines over to LM19...
Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 pm I don't use the regular backup utility because it doesn't really fill a need for me, but I imagine it is a good idea for many.
I don't use backup utilities either. I DO however (occasionally) copy all important data to an archive partition on my HD and to an external (off line) HD for redundancy.
Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 pm So... what have the rest of you folks found in LM 19 that you really like? Anything you can't imagine you lived without previously?
In general I am enjoying the snappier performance and the fresh look and feel. I am still running LM17 Cinn. on my production machines so LM19 is a nice little leap forward (4 years worth!)... although I think the changes are more evolutionary than revolutionary but that's OK... there is no need for revolution (major paradigm shifts) - they only piss off the loyal user base usually for no good reason!!! :wink: :lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 pm Should I install it alongside my 18.3 Cinnamon??

I feel ya. To be honest, I'd have to ask the pros here for ways to automate setting up all the tweaks I normally set up manually with each wipe-n-reinstall.

One thing Mac OS X has that I wish the GNU+Linux community would find a way to re-implement is Automator. When I was still using Mac OS X, I had occasion to use it a couple times, and from what I saw of its features, tutorials by others, and demonstration videos, you could just about make it do any kind of task, period. Conceivably, you could set it up such that you fed it a disk of data files, of configuration files, etc., and it could move files and/or manually step programs through the process of tweaking all their default settings.

Darn if that wouldn't be useful here as well.
rich_h wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:50 pm Two words: BLUETOOTH WORKS!
Huh... I've never noticed that it didn't. Then again, I don't use it all that often, so I've probably just never run up against anything bad.
tdockery97 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:39 pm Two words - WINE doesn't :lol:
Huh. Really? Well, there go my plans for world conquest and domination this weekend.

Actually, about the only things I've ever tried to use in Wine are MS Office 2007 (it works, but it's "meh" at best) and Diablo and Diablo II. There's setup issues and startup issues, but once you manage to blindly navigate your way into a game, it works perfectly.

I wish whomever owns Diablo I/II at this point would let those versions go over to the f/oss community kind of like what happened with Myth II. That way, one can have a newly compiled executable to run the discs that we fans bought so long ago.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

+1 on a snappier Cinnamon.
Nemo's search is also so much better/quicker.
Quite like the looks of the new modern Dconf Editor although it's taken a bit of step back in discoverability of keys.
Overall think the reduction in prominence of the levels system in update manager and the promotion of update everything is a good thing and a great compromise between allowing user control of updates and promoting security.
A few issues with software availability but that's down to third parties abandoning development / PPAs of some older software. I miss Dupe-guru for discovering near duplicate photo's and haven't found a replacement.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Portreve wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 pm To be honest, I'd have to ask the pros here for ways to automate setting up all the tweaks I normally set up manually with each wipe-n-reinstall.
A separate home partition will go a very long way to sorting that out.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I love the automated Timeshift, because now I feel even more assured that I can advice LinuxMint to my inexperienced friends and family. Even when they mess things up by accident, there is always the automated Timeshift feature to fall back upon for help.

Just to promote LinuxMint to my friends and family it is an improvement that now one can choose for automated software updates. Some computer-illiterate friends of mine find it bothersome to have to check manually for software updates. LinuxMInt becomes even more user friendly with this new feature. Really great move.

For me personally I LOVE the new Vlc mediaplayer update, because it fixes my screen tearing while watching videos. I have smooth picture play now. Oh HOW GLAD I AM ABOUT THAT!

To end my compliments, I want to applaud the makers for the general look and feel of Tara. It feels quicker, smoother and more prettier.

Lots and lots of thanks for the makers of Tara!!!!
SpectreOl

Post by SpectreOl »

Best thing about Mint19?

I have a Lenovo T410, that has a DVD-RAM drive in it - its a Matshita (the quality is in the name...)

It was enough trouble getting Windows to recognise it, so I could write a Linux live CD.. Finding drivers for scummy hardware in linux can be even more of a pain..

Mint18.3, never saw the drive. Well, it knew what it was, but just ignored it - wouldn't even begin to write, before trashing the disk..

Mint19 is a new release and will have some issues, but seriously, its fixed the DVD writer (found that out on live) and all my other hardware seems to be recognised out the box. The only issue I had was k3b would make coasters, but that was remedied by disabling multi-session.

Upgrading Mint from 18.3 didn't work for me.. No biggie, Just a fresh install.. Yeah, Ive had to re-install software, but I backed up settings and work, before upgrading - I can live with that..

So yeah, Thankyou, Mint devs...
ThinkPadUser

Post by ThinkPadUser »

I had briefly used Mint 18 but when I saw 19 had been released, I moved onto that instead. Like the OP, my computer isn't kicking it's fans on or getting hot at all. Whereas on Windows 10, it was not really performance killing hot but it was getting pretty warm and all I really do is browse online, write documents, and all of that basic user stuff. I do love that I'm able to use my SD card slot now too, W10 had no drivers for my Thinkpad's SD slot.

And this is just a Mint thing, not really tied into 19 but I still can't get over the fact that a few clicks to install Mint gets me pretty much all of the software I was going to download anyways on Windows. Now I can just install Steam on my gaming PCs and do nothing else besides game on them.
SpectreOl

Post by SpectreOl »

Mint19 is slightly more resource intensive than 18 and 18 has long term support. Unless you have a good reason to go for 19, I'd advise sticking with 18. If it's not broke, don't fix...
ThinkPadUser

Post by ThinkPadUser »

I've already moved onto 19, but I can agree with that, 18 is fine as it is.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”