Mint 19 stable = forcing hands just like Microcrap

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rado84

Re: Mint 19 stable = forcing hands just like Microcrap

Post by rado84 »

whm1974 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:57 pm Indeed and I don't think that Mint is even close to being digital tyrannical at all. It pays to read the release notes and known issues before doing an in place upgrade to a new release.
Tell that to the backdoor devs of Mint. An 18.3 system which used to work quite fine 2 weeks ago now updates on its own in /silent mode without asking me whether I want that update or not, despite I had it set to only show all available but without anything being selected (checked), so I can do that manually. And I can't even revert it to 4.13 kernel because somehow it misteriously disappeared after 4.15 was silently downloaded.
Since I already tried all debian based distros and they all behave exactly like the last few days Mint (some even used a lot of Mint software), looks like it's time to learn to install Arch Linux or anything else that doesn't use Mint repoes and software.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Off you go then, the less time you spend ranting here, the more time you have to code your own OS.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

rado84 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 am An 18.3 system which used to work quite fine 2 weeks ago now updates on its own in /silent mode without asking me whether I want that update or not, despite I had it set to only show all available but without anything being selected (checked),
You might be making a mistake. Kernel updates and security updates are a different category in Update Manager, and have their own checkboxes in the Preferences:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ara-22.png
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rado84 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 am
whm1974 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:57 pm Indeed and I don't think that Mint is even close to being digital tyrannical at all. It pays to read the release notes and known issues before doing an in place upgrade to a new release.
Tell that to the backdoor devs of Mint. An 18.3 system which used to work quite fine 2 weeks ago now updates on its own in /silent mode without asking me whether I want that update or not, despite I had it set to only show all available but without anything being selected (checked), so I can do that manually. And I can't even revert it to 4.13 kernel because somehow it misteriously disappeared after 4.15 was silently downloaded.
Since I already tried all debian based distros and they all behave exactly like the last few days Mint (some even used a lot of Mint software), looks like it's time to learn to install Arch Linux or anything else that doesn't use Mint repoes and software.
@rado84 - with all due respect you've likely borked something your end with the 18.3 install. 4.13.x is still the default kernel series in 18.3 with all updates installed.

With the 19 install and the emergency mode issue, I strongly doubt it's anything to do with microcode. My first point of call would be to check for an incorrect fstab entry, and if I was going to make a wild guess given a couple of c***ups I made on restoring old settings whilst playing with the beta and dual booting with Manjaro that put me into emergency mode I'd suspect something to do with swap as 19 uses a SWAP file by default rather than a partition.

If you log in in emergency mode and post the output of sudo blkid && cat /etc/fstab someone might be able to help.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
7im4pple

Post by 7im4pple »

Didn't Mint used to get yelled at for not pushing updates..lol

And why on gods green earth do you not want the fixes to these flaws in the processors?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

rado84 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:50 am1. Doesn't allow to deselect intel microcode before clicking "apply updates".
What "doesn't allow"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6s0A7e5hjI
2. After installing the microcode it kept crying about a problem with these thumbnails which I never saw anyway.
What thumbnails?
3. After restart requested by the system in order to fix those thumbnails:
I doubt the kernel goes into "emergency mode" because of thumbnails.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I just install Mint 19 on my Thinkpad T430 the other day and so far I haven't had any issues with it at all. Of course I did read the release notes before installation to learn what the known issues are. Not to mention that I also was reading the Forum posts as well before that.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

OMG! You mean we have to READ! I demand a full refund... :!:
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm OMG! You mean we have to READ! I demand a full refund... :!:
Don't forget damages for willful infliction of emotional distress. These heartless Mint devs deserve everything they got coming. :lol:

/s
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm OMG! You mean we have to READ! I demand a full refund... :!:
It really is the users fault they refuse to read any of Documentation before doing a major upgrade, especially in place ones. In particular the Release Notes for Known issues.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

rado84 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:50 am ...
This kind of forcing hands was the reason for me migrating to Android and it seems like now it's time to migrate again - from Mint to another less invasive distro! :evil:

Goodbye! :evil:
Bye.
rado84 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:45 pm No need to answer here anymore, I'm done with Mint 19! :evil:
:|
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

smurphos wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:29 am
rado84 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 am
@rado84 - with all due respect you've likely borked something your end with the 18.3 install. 4.13.x is still the default kernel series in 18.3 with all updates installed.

Correction - it appears for 4.15 was promoted to the HWE kernel will the latest security update...apologies @rado84....

With the 19 install and the emergency mode issue, I strongly doubt it's anything to do with microcode. My first point of call would be to check for an incorrect fstab entry, and if I was going to make a wild guess given a couple of c***ups I made on restoring old settings whilst playing with the beta and dual booting with Manjaro that put me into emergency mode I'd suspect something to do with swap as 19 uses a SWAP file by default rather than a partition.

If you log in in emergency mode and post the output of sudo blkid && cat /etc/fstab someone might be able to help.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

From the OP's signature: Windows 7 x64 ... & no mention of Linux :roll: .. for someone who likes to be in control, what happens when support ends?

I might have read it wrong, but it looks like the OP is trying to reinstall stuff backed up from a 16.04 base, on to an 18.04 base.

Why not reinstall the kernel that worked & use that?

Otherwise, good luck with Arch and its "5th update"!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
rado84

Post by rado84 »

BG405 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am From the OP's signature: Windows 7 x64 ... & no mention of Linux :roll: .. for someone who likes to be in control, what happens when support ends?

I might have read it wrong, but it looks like the OP is trying to reinstall stuff backed up from a 16.04 base, on to an 18.04 base.

Why not reinstall the kernel that worked & use that?

Otherwise, good luck with Arch and its "5th update"!
1. I changed the signature to Windows after Mint 19 forced me to install something I don't want.
2. Nothing of the kind. It was a clean install of Mint 19 ISO.
3. 19 seems to install with 4.15 and there is no way to install 4.13.
4. I found a way (finally, after several attempts on a VM) to trick 19 not to install the microcode. For unknown reason right after the welcome screen appears, if the user doesn't take any action the update started automatically in a few minutes. So when the installation was finished, I loaded the boot menu, pulled the LAN cable and booted the HDD with Linux. I did that to prevent it from updating. Then checked every new package carefully and if it contained the words kernel, header and microcode, I put it in the blacklist. Then allowed the update process to continue and now that there is no microcode, there's no black screen or emergency mode and Mint works as it should.
And just because I found a way to disable kernel update, I still don't think it's right to force users to install the microcode. Idk about other people but I for one don't wanna destroy my CPU with microcode. Linux has never needed a CPU microcode for it to run, so to me it's useless plus I read some articles saying the microcode could damage the CPU which is the other reason I don't want it.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rado84 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 am plus I read some articles saying the microcode could damage the CPU which is the other reason I don't want it.
Spectre bug was created intentionally to make you install microcode to make you destroy your CPU to make you buy a new one. It's all making sense now!

/s
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 am
rado84 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 am plus I read some articles saying the microcode could damage the CPU which is the other reason I don't want it.
Spectre bug was created intentionally to make you install microcode to make you destroy your CPU to make you buy a new one. It's all making sense now!

/s
Yes Really, this is the first time I've heard about installing microcode could damage your CPU. OP, I have news for you, Microsoft also installs new microcode when AMD and Intel releases them as well.

Oh by the way OP, could you show us the articles that told you microcode could damage you CPU?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

whm1974 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:35 am
gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 am

/s
Yes Really, this is the first time I've heard about installing microcode could damage your CPU. OP, I have news for you, Microsoft also installs new microcode when AMD and Intel releases them as well.

Oh by the way OP, could you show us the articles that told you microcode could damage you CPU?
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/1 ... date_woes/ (Red Hat slams into reverse on CPU fix for Spectre design blunder
Microcode mitigations trigger system wobbles, penguinistas warn, By Paul Kunert 18 Jan 2018 at 07:36)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3248975 ... intel.html (Stop installing our buggy Spectre CPU firmware fixes, Intel says - 22 Jan 2018)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

A) This is old news, superseded by now
B) Intel had revoked its initial intel-microcode patch package. So had Ubuntu. Around June, a bugfixed intel-microcode package had been made available.
C) Where exactly did anyone tell the (buggy first) intel-microcode patch could damage the cpu?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

karlchen wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am A) This is old news, superseded by now
B) Intel had revoked its initial intel-microcode patch package. So had Ubuntu. Around June, a bugfixed intel-microcode package had been made available.
C) Where exactly did anyone tell the (buggy first) intel-microcode patch could damage the cpu?
If I recall didn't the patches only caused slow downs with certain workloads, mostly with servers?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

karlchen wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am C) Where exactly did anyone tell the (buggy first) intel-microcode patch could damage the cpu?
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/0 ... wered_pcs/ (It gets worse: Microsoft’s Spectre-fixer wrecks some AMD PCs, KB4056892 is not your friend if you run an Athlon, By Simon Sharwood, APAC Editor 8 Jan 2018 at 06:30) ???

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”