Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by smurphos »

Dark Owl wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:09 pm
Fine... but explain why we should have our chosen theme and wallpaper altered without so much as a "by your leave"? Wouldn't it be more sensible to leave things as they are, and give the user the option to choose a different theme if they wish?
If you upgrade that's exactly what happens - your personal settings are left untouched, if you do afresh install whilst preserving your home folder that is also what happens*

If you do a new fresh complete install including wiping home then sure you end up with the default theme and wallpaper for that release but that's not really unexpected.

* so the caveat would be if you are using some third party theme you may need to source an updated version of that theme if your upgrade or home preserving reinstall is 18.x > 19, 19.x > forthcoming 20 etc. If you are using one of the stock themes (Mint X or Y) then the theme itself may have had subtle tweaks, generally to improve the types of issues under discussion in this thread, contrast etc.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

all41 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 am
+1 Dark Owl's point

It's much like shopping at your favourite grocery store where
you have become accustomed to the aisle and shelf location and plan your
route with that in mind.

How upsetting it can be to find the store has rearranged everything
and you now have to search to find what you need. It's upsetting to your routine
to have to learn the new layout.
+1 all41's point
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

I lean toward the conservative opinion in that time spent on the computer is unproductive, therefore the more time I spend learning new designs and layouts, the more time I am wasting.

In regard to the original question "is Linux Mint ugly?" I really don't care as long as the fancy designs do not obscure the functionality. A pleasing artistic appearance is all very well, but it must always take second place to legibility and functionality on my computer, which is why for many years my wallpaper or whatever it is called in Linux was just a grey screen. No picture, no design, no patterns, just a plain medium grey screen.
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Even in death there is change. The body you start out with ends up in a completely different state. In sum, and to borrow an expression, the only constant is change.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Portreve wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:33 am
Even in death there is change. The body you start out with ends up in a completely different state. In sum, and to borrow an expression, the only constant is change.
But of course. Entropy will always win.
Cliff Coggin
Mister Cabbage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mister Cabbage »

i think mint's appearance is fine, as is the operating system overall, and i didn't come to mint based on its appearance. the default themes, software, etc. are enough to get one started in a Linux OS. rather than change the themes, why not an easier tool to customize themes. i realize there are existing software projects that do this to some extent, but maybe the mint team might consider something in-house and a bit easier for newcomers to use?

i'm more interested in window manager functionality. i really dig the tagging system for awesome tiling manager, but i'm still acclimating to i3wm. if there was an easier means of getting apps started on specific workspaces/tags via a GUI menu, i'd probably go back to using cinnamon desktop. i think there's ways to get more control over workspaces with scripting in cinnamon, but i found it easier to learn how to use and tweak i3. although, I've enjoyed learning to do more things in general via cli.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:41 am
...In regard to the original question "is Linux Mint ugly?"
I really don't care as long as the fancy designs do not obscure the functionality.
A pleasing artistic appearance is all very well, but it must always take second place to legibility and functionality on my computer,
which is why for many years my wallpaper or whatever it is called in Linux...
...was just a grey screen. No picture, no design, no patterns, just a plain medium grey screen.
Amen... :lol: :wink:
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

Dark Owl wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:41 am
The purpose of a PC as a tool is for it to help not hinder, and every time Windows got revamped, they changed the user interface so there was a loss of productivity getting used to the new one... and the older you get the more difficult that transition is. I stopped at Win7, unwilling to switch to Ribbon toolbars and the Metro GUI.
I subscribe everything you said in your post. I stopped upgrading Windows and I am still on XP and that is why I am using Linux Mint.

There was no need to keep changing things around but MS just changed their business model. The fundamental reason they kept making changes was because they needed to keep making money.

In the case of LM I agree with you that the main focus should not be aesthetics but stability, lack of problems, continuity, compatibility, etc. and looks should take a very second place. Unfortunately a lot of people just get bored with things and just want the excitement of change.

I absolutely hate it when I have to upgrade and fight with a million little changes, glitches, things that are now broken, etc. Every change to fix something breaks at least one other thing.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

Portreve wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:18 pm
The box clearly showed "5400 watts" as its nominal output. I was 3 meters away and I could see that. However, the two were trying to work out if the unit was "fifty-four hundred watts" or "five thousand four hundred watts".
The easiest way to figure it out is to convert it first to HP. ;)
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

GS3 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:03 pm
Portreve wrote:
The box clearly showed "5400 watts" as its nominal output. I was 3 meters away and I could see that. However, the two were trying to work out if the unit was "fifty-four hundred watts" or "five thousand four hundred watts".
So... I'm assuming you're referring to something other than Hewlett-Packard. :lol:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

GS3 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 am
In the case of LM I agree with you that the main focus should not be aesthetics but ...
personally if my screen doesn't look aesthetically pleasing, why would i spend time on it staring at videos or documents?
anything is stable as long as you don't update it. the good linux should have a complement of both aesthetics and stability. and i don't mind a few edgy software packages like timeshift or some video driver settings.

i want to be able to turn on my computer, refresh a few updates without killing the boot and then go on the internets and have some fun.
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

Portreve wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:58 pm
GS3 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:03 pm
Portreve wrote:
The box clearly showed "5400 watts"
So... I'm assuming you're referring to something other than Hewlett-Packard. :lol:
No it is 18,425.5 Btu/hour. Can't anyone get anything right..... :twisted:
Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

smurphos wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:15 am
Dark Owl wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:09 pm
Fine... but explain why we should have our chosen theme and wallpaper altered without so much as a "by your leave"? Wouldn't it be more sensible to leave things as they are, and give the user the option to choose a different theme if they wish?
If you upgrade that's exactly what happens - your personal settings are left untouched, if you do afresh install whilst preserving your home folder that is also what happens
That's hopeful, but not the impression I got from some of the posts.
Currently: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 64-bit 4.6.6, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20β, LM18.2
SpongebobFan1994
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

I imagine its a personal preference/mixed opinion kind of situation.

I've been using Mint for years now, and I've never changed the themes up until now because I've always cared more about it's functionality, while not caring one way or the other about how it looks (except I've never liked the default wallpaper they went with for 19). However, after deciding to change the themes, I can now see why people think the flat designs look bland, and I'm glad I made that decision. As far as having to change them one at a time, I personally think that's a good thing because it gives you more customization options. What I'd like to see are much larger screenshots under the add/remove tab, instead of having to bring up a webpage just to get a better look at it. For one thing, it comes off as an unnecessary and a little tedious step. For another, that border around the list is a complete waste of space which could be put to better use. While the icons in the task bar do pop somewhat more when you remove the default flatness of them, what I'd like to see is replacing the task bar with 3D icons that glow underneath when in use.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

all41 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:23 pm
There is a certain point regarding colors and branding though, does this ring a bell?:
bsod.png
pukey blue
I used to work in the automotive industry, specifically vehicle detailing, which - for those who don't know - goes beyond simple cleaning... In regards to vehicle exteriors, it sometimes went all the way to wet-sanding a poor paint finish before the usual compounding and glazing with a high speed buffer and then applying a couple coats of wax with a random orbit waxing device. We had a LARGE cabinet full of touch-up paint for chips and such, but also had to order some nearly every day. So I was working on a car one day when the secretary opened the door to the "dirty" part of the shop and yelled to ask me what the paint code was for that vehicle. Older lady, maybe the same age as I am now (lol) - but she was computer-savvy enough to burst into laughter when I replied, "Tell them it's BSOD blue." I then went on to get the paint code, of course - but, yes, that was once a very popular color in the computer world. Not popular as in well-liked, but popular as in "often seen by many."

On-topic content:

I dislike most shades of green, and always have. <SHRUGS> The last time I allowed a company's marketing department to do my thinking for me was when I was approximately six years old and talked my parents into buying me a box of cereal that I had seen advertised on television. As we have always been (monetarily) poor, I had to eat all of the cereal. That sure taught me, lol. While I do occasionally wear a green shirt, that is very, very occasionally because I have been repeatedly told by the opposite sex that the color is complimentary to my hair/eye/skin color - but far more often, because I have to go elsewhere to do my laundry, and it's simply what is clean. In other words, "fashion" is something that I pay very little attention to, and give little attention to others' opinions of same. Form/function is all. If, for whatever reason, you feel that it isn't... try removing it utterly from your life and see how far you get on fashion alone.

I do find it interesting that the complainer's "marketing color chart" whatzit showed green to signify(?) "peaceful, growth, and health." You know something? That works for me! Something that works even more (for me) is that the green color scheme is Clem's personal choice. I have to respect that. After all, he respects mine - and yours, and yours, and yours... and even the complainer's - enough to provide many options for customizing what is HIS linux distro, and even includes a great many choices for those options so that we do not have to immediately begin searching the Internet for themes/etc. after we install it. Something else I respect: There are a limited number of Mint developers, they (presumably) volunteer their time - and I am very grateful that they spend their limited amount of time on fixing actual problems / figuring out how to improve the distro, rather than spend a portion of that time worrying about whether the thing would be (somehow?) perceived as being better if they changed it to default to a different color scheme.

Speaking of which - volunteer labor and choice... This is NOT a commercial product :roll: . Therefore, that whole concept of "marketability" can safely go straight to where it should have gone way back when early hominids were learning to chip pieces off of stones in order to make useful tools, that was considered to be the height of technology... and someone who didn't feel like working for a living thought, "Hey, I bet if I could convince someone that their stones would become a lot more popular if they dabbed a bit of ocher on them, they would not only make some for me, they might even go so far as to do all that labor-intensive hunting/butchering/etc. and bring me all the ready-to-eat mastodon meat I want." Which is to say, the nearest refuse heap. My guess is that, while Clem would be happy if everyone chose to use his distro, he's not too bent out of shape that some folks choose to use Microsoft Windows, Apple... whatever Apple's OS is called, BSD, other linux distros, et cetera. It's a choice thing, yes? One of the wonderful things about choosing to NOT sell your product is that you don't have to worry about this kind of thing. I sincerely hope that those who choose to use his distro - and have the ability to do so - all make at least one donation. For that matter, I hope those in charge of the purse strings at Microsoft and Apple make sizable ones, too. After all, competition is a healthy thing. And when I paid attention to the "Windows world," I would occasionally notice that Microsoft's OS incorporated a feature that was common on linux distros. Years after it became common in the linux world, lol, bur still. I would donate, and on at least an annual basis, if it wasn't generally a struggle for me to manage to keep myself fed (and, this year, with work being nonexistent and restaurants placing far less still-edible food into their dumpsters at closing time, that struggle is worse for me than it has ever been before :( ). But the only thing I can do is to make others aware of Mint, help those I encounter in the real world to install it, and hope that some of them will end up finding it useful enough to decide to make some sort of donation.

What I find even more interesting than the fact that complainer sort of figuratively shot himself (herself? IDK...) in the foot by posting that color chart as if it was evidence that green was a "bad" color... is that the person seems to have demanded that their account be deleted. Trying to be as objective as possible about that, the action strongly infers that complainer feels completely unable to stop logging in to the forum unless/until the person is prevented from doing so by a forum staff member. Now my takeaway from that little jewel of knowledge, subjectively speaking, of course, is that I do not want that person's opinions influencing the developers of my distro-of-choice in any way, shape, or form. I mean... little kids have more self-control than that. And, while I do have a soft spot for children - and think they're great and all - I wouldn't choose to have them make decisions for the developers. I mean no offense to little kids, or to complainer. It's simply the way I feel about it. Others' opinions may differ, of course.

For any in the audience whose attention spans wander after reading a line or two of text, to summarize the above: I don't care all that much for green, either. But, rather than let my autistic side take over and spend way too much time complaining about it (which, apparently, is an option here :wink: ), I'm choosing to, instead, be thankful that the people who make the decisions on such things have decided to not only give me the option of changing the color scheme - but to also make it easy for me to do so. As the years go by, my cognitive function declines more and more, and I feel more and more "lost" when it comes to "computer stuff." Even so, I figured out how to change the look of my distro installation almost immediately; the only reason it took me some little time to actually do so is that there were so many colors/icons/etc. to choose from (and that is NOT a complaint!). They've even given me the option to alter the color scheme of this forum, lol - for my own account, it's the blue color scheme. Others will go with one of the other ones. Choice. . . .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
kelevra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kelevra »

I don't necessarily think Mint is ugly. Are any of windows default looks any better? I have always personalised my workspace on all my operating systems and that is my prerogative. I know many people that don't give a s*&^ and have never changed a thing. Like many people have alreadey said. 'it's a machine'. I myself like making my things exactly that, my things. Cars, bikes, mx bikes, computers, to name a few. Change how it looks if it bothers you, you might learn a little about about said device.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I have seen videos of some pretty... involved (in the visual sense) linux installations. Things like rain (or maybe it was snow?) on the desktop, the mouse cursor creating "trails of fire," setups having multiple desktop areas (I forget what that is called) that turn into the outer surfaces of a cube and which can be "spun" to reveal the one the user wishes to bring up, et cetera.

I'll change minor things from their default settings, like the color scheme and trying to get some of the text large enough for a human being to read it without the use of a magnifying glass :roll: . But, basically, I do not turn on my computer with the intention of staring at the desktop, lol. To me, the OS, DE, WM, et cetera is just the stuff that supports whatever application I am going to be running - such as a web browser, text editor, and so on. I have not even bothered to enable system sounds in several years. I suppose that, again "to me," it's somewhat like the color of a vehicle. Sure, it's nice to have an automobile (truck, van, etc.) that has been painted with one's favorite color. But I have owned a car that had not one but TWO different colors of junkyard-sourced body parts before. Plus the original color that was on the rest of the thing. It went most of the time that I wanted it to, stopped every time I needed it to... and that was about it, really. Which was enough. The fact that it was three different colors didn't really bother me at all, and I didn't think about doing anything about it, even after I began working at a place where I could have driven it in after hours, took it down to bare metal with a DA, and done the prep/primer/paint/paint/paint along with the (eventual, after the paint cured/hardened) wet-sanding and other finish work. I did have the shiniest three-colored car in the area, lol, but that was mostly because, when I began working there, I had never done any wet-sanding, used a high speed buffer, etc., and the boss wasn't going to just turn me loose on customers' vehicles.

Some people don't care much what their desktop looks like, as long as it serves its intended purpose. Others do care - and will proceed to customize it as they see fit. Some very, very few apparently expect it to arrive looking exactly the way they want it to look. In my opinion, that expectation is, in general, highly unrealistic - but if they want it to actually happen, they should plan on paying (a lot) for it. As mentioned many times, it's easy to customize, and there are many ways to do so. For that matter... I don't care for Cinnamon, could probably use MATE without much in the way of adaption/compromise, cannot figure out why KDE exists, and think Xfce is great. Others will probably disagree with some or even all of that statement. All the more power to them, lol.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

To me, it's called a Graphical User Interface for a reason. It's supposed to be graphical. Not some ugly, flat, colorless, boring, icon theme. If you like the flat icons, then stop calling it a GUI, because it's not.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Very eloquently stated MDM. I could not agree more. I would write more on the subject but I simply can not get enthusiastic enough about such a minor matter to put fingers to keyboard. After all, it's only a tool.
Cliff Coggin
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:01 pm
setups having multiple desktop areas (I forget what that is called) that turn into the outer surfaces of a cube and which can be "spun" to reveal the one the user wishes to bring up
That'll be the "Desktop Cube" which is available (and I have enabled) in KDE Plasma 5. May also have been present in Plasma 4 too and possibly also available in, or for, Xfce. ;)

I take pleasure from having some of these fancy effects, like Wobbly Windows etc.. :mrgreen: As for Mint, I do quite like the default themes. Especially the dark ones. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”