Is Linux Mint ugly?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by thx-1138 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:03 am Those black icons on a black background though...
...i know! My next desktop will be black on white though... and who knows,
maybe 1 day my monitor will be hanging in some expensive gallery... :lol:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thx-1138 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:09 am maybe 1 day my monitor will be hanging in some expensive gallery... :lol:
Just keep it running, if you manage to burn in the desktop (does that still happen with modern screens?) it might become a work of art. :D

My desktop looks basically the same as yours btw, but with visible icons (plus a few applets).
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...it's almost the same gray as Mint-Y-Dark actually, ie. not really black :wink:
Nope, LCD's don't really burn...
(...xscreensaver & similar fluffy distracting nonsense purged here, i3lock only...should i be worried?) :)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

catweazel wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:04 pm
ssspace wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 pm If you see videos reviews, blog posts and read the comments you will see that some users that don't like how Mint looks, I thought most people knew about this, looks like I was wrong, that's life.
You made an unsupported claim, and you persist in refusing and neglecting to back it up, then you try to shift the burden of proof to me. I may be 85 but I wasn't born yesterday, sonny.

Obviously there's no intelligent conversation to be had.
are you really 85?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hey there, good people...
Can we keep this thread friendly? I don't want to shut it down, but I will if all y'all keep snarking at each other like this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

@Moem
not being rude, it is an honest question. i do respect my elders , is all i wanted to know. thanx
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

thx-1138 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:28 am Nope, LCD's don't really burn...
From the article:
Both plasma-type and LCD-type displays exhibit a similar phenomenon called transient image persistence, which is sometimes confused with screen burn but is not permanent.
I was worried that I'd ruined one of my monitors when I started seeing what turned out to be a "ghost" of the browser toolbars when watching videos. Thankfully, this faded away once I started using full-screen again for the browser, like I used to.

The Sony TV has quite noticeable image persistence for a short while when it's been displaying a Mint desktop. But it's still not ugly ...
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
[rua]

Post by [rua] »

I've used LMDE Mate for many years and while I don't care for the default appearance after installation, I like that's readily configurable to one's taste. I imagine this is so in regular Mint. In terms of available themes and backgrounds, I've always found Mint to be a particularly beautiful distro. Tasteful, elegant, and relaxed. I like the login screen especially. Hats off to the photographers! :)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

[rua] wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:27 am In terms of available themes and backgrounds, I've always found Mint to be a particularly beautiful distro. Tasteful, elegant, and relaxed. I like the login screen especially. Hats off to the photographers! :)
That one is actually true, the available backgrounds are beautiful, worth a look even if you don't use a background image (I don't, waste of resources ;)). Software Manager has the backgrounds from all previous releases, too.
[rua]

Post by [rua] »

gm10 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 am
[rua] wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:27 am In terms of available themes and backgrounds, I've always found Mint to be a particularly beautiful distro. Tasteful, elegant, and relaxed. I like the login screen especially. Hats off to the photographers! :)
That one is actually true, the available backgrounds are beautiful, worth a look even if you don't use a background image (I don't, waste of resources ;)).
I was intrigued and tested this just now. On my system, with a mighty 8 gigarams at my disposal, a black background made no significant difference. I'll stick with my "Grass in the morning" background"! :wink:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

[rua] wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:12 am I was intrigued and tested this just now. On my system, with a mighty 8 gigarams at my disposal, a black background made no significant difference. I'll stick with my "Grass in the morning" background"! :wink:
Of course it's insignificant, but it's still resources being used and I really never stare at my desktop, anyway, so... personal preference without any doubt. Please don't feel discouraged to use a background image, I did not mean to imply that. ;)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

[rua] wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:12 am I was intrigued and tested this just now. On my system, with a mighty 8 gigarams at my disposal, a black background made no significant difference. I'll stick with my "Grass in the morning" background"! :wink:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...this is an older test from 2012, so it might not be valid anymore... =>
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~cking/power-b ... esults.txt

/me turns background to absolute white... :lol:
[rua]

Post by [rua] »

gm10 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:17 am
Of course it's insignificant, but it's still resources being used and I really never stare at my desktop, anyway, so... personal preference without any doubt. Please don't feel discouraged to use a background image, I did not mean to imply that. ;)
I'm not discouraged, and I understand your message and respect your preference. I couldn't live without a background I liked. I was merely curious! :)
[rua]

Post by [rua] »

thx-1138 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:26 am ...this is an older test from 2012, so it might not be valid anymore... =>
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~cking/power-b ... esults.txt

/me turns background to absolute white... :lol:
That's really interesting, thanks.
[rua]

Post by [rua] »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:23 am
:lol:
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ok ... first time installing anything cinmon and i can say that the normal user overlooks a lot of things and left to them to figure out. finally got qt4 and qt5 apps to look and feel the same but i had to tear down mint 19 to do it. i did so many changes i have no clue which one was confirmed or borked. the small window is qt4 app and couldn't get icons to match qt5 had to install a lot of "old" dependencies of qt4 too many to count and not sure which one actually fixed things. qbittorrent of course is qt5

Last edited by trytip on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

Function > Form
What it looks like is not a priority to me. Very customizable if it is a priority to you.
rado84

Post by rado84 »

ssspace wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:38 am why so many people think it's ugly?
Because grey is ugly. If the default theme had color B1D190 (the image below) it would look a lot better. And fresh. With the grey theme it looks too much like Windows 98. Image

JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

It ain't ugly y'all. Not at all. I had a girl like that once. so I know.
Linux Mint (Mate) is BEAUTIFUL !!!

I run the theme Mate installs with, except the wallpaper (Juergen Colorful Stone) and even that is from a previous Mint release.
And I uninstall Compiz and disable compositing.

I only need a computer that computes ... and has some nice icons and stuff.
Don't need a computer to dance and hop around or throw beeps, screeches, ringtone snippets and such. YMMV

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”