Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
rc_racer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by rc_racer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:14 pm

BG405 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm
A Linux Mint user, even a donator is not a "customer"! They/we are not buying anything, except maybe the media from OSDisc or merchandise from the Mint store. We are members of the Linux community, free to not be tarred with that commercial term. :wink: :mrgreen:

Like a lot of people I'm not a particular fan of flat icons etc., but I'm sure different themes are available (haven't tried Mint 19 yet).
Perhaps it may be a good idea to show some alternative themes below the images of the default ones, clearly identifying them as such & with a quick guide "How to customize the look and feel of your Desktop and applications" .. along those lines?
That sounds like a great idea to me

old_noob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by old_noob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:29 pm

For the most part, I do not find Mint to be ugly. I mostly run xfce now and have used cinnamon extensively in the past. Once booted up, it looks like the competent, no-nonsense distro that it is. The wallpapers offered are wonderful though we live in a beautiful place and choose to put up our own local wallpaper. However...

The LM logo we see when booting and shutting down is definitely butt-ugly. It looks like a young child's drawing of a LM branded hair dryer. I heartily encourage a forum contest to come up with a better looking logo (grand prize: free LM downloads for life :mrgreen: ).

Yes, it's a matter of taste and some will love the present logo... not a big deal, I just look away while it boots.

Rtep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rtep » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 am

About "not being "customer" : People who donate are whatever they are! They expect to be heard. What is wrong to expect errors to be fixed? How many times I heard about some customization are gone forever ? How many time people complaining about tiny side sliders? People are choosing LM because all differences that Windows do, no mater who is complaining about what? Name those people whatever you want, the rule is always there even when you say they are not customers! "Don't shy away from criticism, because it's healthy and it makes you better at what you do."
Amen.

Reaccion Raul
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Reaccion Raul » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:21 am

old_noob wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:29 pm
For the most part, I do not find Mint to be ugly. I mostly run xfce now and have used cinnamon extensively in the past. Once booted up, it looks like the competent, no-nonsense distro that it is. The wallpapers offered are wonderful though we live in a beautiful place and choose to put up our own local wallpaper. However...

The LM logo we see when booting and shutting down is definitely butt-ugly. It looks like a young child's drawing of a LM branded hair dryer. I heartily encourage a forum contest to come up with a better looking logo (grand prize: free LM downloads for life :mrgreen: ).

Yes, it's a matter of taste and some will love the present logo... not a big deal, I just look away while it boots.
I agree on this. To me the LM typography itself is fine, it's the shield. The logo is quite ugly and keeping with this green everywhere too, even Ubuntu Mate green looks much better.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:54 pm

I just noticed my favourite scheme in Mint is no longer working correctly...

The indent bar at the top is no longer indented. It still works with BlackMATE, but stopped working in this one... :(
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”