Level 2
Level 2

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by Grateful4Linux »

Portreve wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:55 pm
Grateful4Linux wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 pm
If I wanted to use a Mac-like OS, I would have bought a frickin' Mac instead of a PC... and it seems a lot of Windows 7 feel the same way. I'm glad so many, like me, are finding a superior replacement for Windows in Linux Mint!
I hate to be the one to break it to ya, pal, but if you're running Cinnamon (or, to a lesser extent MATÉ), you are running a very Classic Mac OS / Mac OS X-like GUI. It's certainly more Mac-like than it is Windows-like.
Linux Mint doesn't seem Mac-like to me. My mother has a Mac computer and whenever I have to use it I usually feel a strong urge to toss it out the window. I despise that thing. Maybe I should have said that Windows 8 and 10 became more Apple-like, with those stupid tiles? Even Microsoft forcing users to set up an account when installing Windows 10 is Mac/Apple-like, isn't it? And the Microsoft app store, no? Anyway, my point was just that Microsoft wasn't satisfied being the desktop OS market leader by a huge margin, and instead kept trying to copy-cat things that their competitor does... which sucks for people who avoid that competitor for those same reasons.

majed17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by majed17 »

ah you reminded me of the "the pirates of the silicon valley" which made me research ugly Jobs, and how satanic his first mac sold for 666$.. its no wonder that all the satanists adore his company whenever they can afford it!
knock and it shall be opened, ask and you shall receive, believe in order for it to happen, cry and you shall be comforted!

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

trytip wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:38 am
i wish linux mint would change the color of that "low contrast green" which is the default color for mate.
^^^^That.

The Mint team seems locked into this idea of keeping the mint herb color in itself as a brand of some kind. IMO, that's a terrible idea.

Let's dispel these two tidbits of nonsense out the gate:
  1. "Get a life, it's a tool." <----No, the issue isn't whether or not it's a tool, it's about increasing it's adoption and marketability. Marketability is an emotionally charged metric that is visceral in nature.
  2. "But, but, but, you can tailor it any way you want." <----Not the point. The problem is how you make a product look out of the box, and this color IMO doesn't do you any favors.
Desaturated limey looking green is an anemic looking old fashioned color. Look for this color in sign motifs by the beach in motels made in the 1950's (along with aqua blue). Or perhaps the green in a puke emoji.

Here, let's compare this sleepy green to enticing power colors of other brands. I'll even choose a MINT image without the wall-to-wall green in it, such as this forum has:

(And now....) MINT

This caja default. Ermahgerd. zzzzzzzzz..................

...compared to >WHAM!<
UBUNTU

JETBRAINS INTELLIJ
This is actually going back in time historically. This is an enormous image. Click through to see it in full size. I hope they allow hotlinking. You can see that they "learned their lesson" early on with weak colors:

COLOR MARKETING PSYCHOLOGY
Note well the Excitement/Creative/Trust band:

My suggestion is to back slowly away from pea soup.

And perhaps embrace "mint" as in "Minting Coins" or "Perfect" or some other synonym.
Don't mistake my lack of reply for some kind of acceptance of your half-baked arguments.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

tgm1024 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:25 pm
...My suggestion is to back slowly away from pea soup.

And perhaps embrace "mint" as in "Minting Coins" or "Perfect" or some other synonym.
It's great you have your opinion on the colour thing. I would take the screen shots you showed of default Mint over default Ubuntu any day, and that is my opinion.

What matters most is what the dev team want, and if they care for the historic connection of 'Mint' and 'Green' and the hard work already put into a brand recognition (most Linux people will instantly recognise it).

The great thing about any Linux is you can make it look pretty much how you want, so if you (or anyone else) personally have an issue with Mint's looks, just change it :)

As one of the most user friendly Linux GUI's (especially for ex-windows users) around i doubt that adoption is being harmed by this part alone, in fact Mint is one of the most popular Linux Distro's, and a first port of call for the curious windows users wanting to see what Linux is like. Compared to other distro's and their different colour scheme's LM competes well in terms of users. Or maybe more people like the 'mint green' than you think?
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Question: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Answers: Let me repeat what has been stated before and maybe add an aspect or two, which had not been mentioned, yet. (Would be amazed.)
  • Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. [1]
  • What is considered beautiful changes in the course of time. It is called fashion.
  • Some people are followers of any fashion wave, some have got their own points of view.
  • Design follows function, not the other way round.
  • The Linux Mint design has been changed several times in the course of time, but in such a way that some people may have failed to notice.
Next Question:
Moem wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:15 pm
Gentlefolks, do we really need to do this discussion from 2018 all over again? :roll:
Answer:
Yes, this is a rolling discussion, because what is considered ugly now may be the new fashion tomorrow and considered ugly again the day after tomorrow. As a consequence this discussion and this thread will go on in eternal loops just like the movie "Groundhog Day" :wink:

Epilogue:
When discussing about "ugly or not", please, keep in mind that as we all grow older, our beauty keeps on fading away from day to day as well. :lol:
This post might be duplicated around May 2022. See you in 2 years' time ...
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

I passed on mint a couple times because of the barf color, but came back to it when I researched the "don't release too soon" methodology and how it was different from Ubuntu's.

But that's because I am a software engineer since the 80's and know what to look for in the mind set of a company regarding engineering decisions.
ZakGordon wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:45 pm
As one of the most user friendly Linux GUI's (especially for ex-windows users) around i doubt that adoption is being harmed by this part alone, in fact Mint is one of the most popular Linux Distro's, and a first port of call for the curious windows users wanting to see what Linux is like. Compared to other distro's and their different colour scheme's LM competes well in terms of users.
Good lord, of any possible point, this is the worst one yet. Go and look at the title of this thread. That it's doing as well as well as it has is a testiment to it's internal design. I don't care how well its doing: It would do far better if its presentation improved.
But I'm not the only customer you want; If the linux crowd is to continue to supposedly aim for a general purpose desktop for the masses, they better start thinking outside of engineering terms.

For instance, when I bought an apple keyboard, it was basically a $65 dollar keyboard packaged in what looked like a $20 box. Truly a marvel of interlocking brighter than bright white. The entrepreneurship background in me instinctively reeled at the thrown away money, but that's not what the general public sees. They see packagaing and a "wow" factor that shows that they're buying from a company that must so have its act together than even the box is top rate.

Judging a book by its cover is real no matter how much you wish it weren't so. My first instinct is to walk away from Mint, because it was so drab a green I felt that there must be no care taken with the product at all and that a manila folder had more pizazz.

My thought was that if Mint couldn't even figure out how to make a nice design, then how could they do any of the hard stuff right?

That color isn't going to help IMO. Fine by me that you seem to love it, but it doesn't matter in the least how hard anyone tried to establish it as a brand because IMO they are working against themselves and could do far far better than they are.

Anyway, the case I made was founded in marketing psychology, the psychology of colors, and of course it's not going to appeal to everyone, but it's seems like something to think about.

After all, perhaps more people are turned off by it than you think?
Don't mistake my lack of reply for some kind of acceptance of your half-baked arguments.

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

karlchen wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:20 pm
Question: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Answers: Let me repeat what has been stated before and maybe add an aspect or two, which had not been mentioned, yet. (Would be amazed.)
  • Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder
Of course. Look at the marketing information I was pointing out. It's based entirely upon that, and they deal in aggregates.
karlchen wrote:
Design follows function, not the other way round.
No, and this is a naive point. I've fought and fought against this broken principal in the myriad of startups I've been part of because I'm among the few engineers that are able to see things from the point of view of the consumer.
karlchen wrote:
The Linux Mint design has been changed several times in the course of time, but in such a way that some people may have failed to notice.
And.....? I'm talking about where it is now.
Last edited by tgm1024 on Mon May 04, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

You guys need some training in logical fallacies. Particularly survivorship bias.

The reason you're likely to be receiving information about people that aren't bothered by the green is because you're talking to people who are already using the product.

You'll never even SEE the folks that don't give you a second glance. They're not even here!

There's a reason that Real Estate agents so strongly stress curb appeal. You have to get them through the gate first.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, tgm1024.
tgm1024 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:42 pm
My thought was that if Mint couldn't even figure out how to make a nice design, then how could they do any of the hard stuff right? [...] it doesn't matter in the least how hard anyone tried to establish it as a brand because IMO they are working against themselves and could do far far better than they are.
Why are you telling all this to us, the crowd of Linux Mint users? Why do you not tell this to the Mint developer team?
Beware, however, if you do, then you may have to explain in detail
+ which things in the Mint design are done less well than they could
+ how precisely the list of items, which you provide, could be improved
Common place statements like the ones quoted above are unlikely to convince Clem and the team.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

karlchen wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:53 pm
Hello, tgm1024.
tgm1024 wrote:
My thought was that if Mint couldn't even figure out how to make a nice design, then how could they do any of the hard stuff right? [...] it doesn't matter in the least how hard anyone tried to establish it as a brand because IMO they are working against themselves and could do far far better than they are.
Why are you telling all this to us, the crowd of Linux Mint users? Why do you not tell this to the Mint developer team?
Common place statements like the ones quoted above are unlikely to convince Clem and the team.

Best regards,
Karl
This is a thread I didn't start. I am commenting in an opinion thread with an opinion. Don't even try to say that I'm in the wrong place.

Besides, clem has posted here before.

"Common place"? If it were truly commonplace, then you should absolutely listen.

You seem to be all falling prey to an odd sense of tradition, and have no understanding that the positive feedback you get are only by the people willing to give you a chance in the first place.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tgm1024 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:57 pm
If it were truly commonplace, then you should absolutely listen.
What difference does it make whether Karl, or other users, listen?
tgm1024 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:57 pm
You seem to be all falling prey to an odd sense of tradition, and have no understanding that the positive feedback you get are only by the people willing to give you a chance in the first place.
Who is this 'you' that you are talking about?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

This thread is amazing satire. Keep it up!

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't play the following:

Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

karlchen wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:53 pm
Hello, tgm1024.
tgm1024 wrote:

Best regards,
Karl
Thank you! One of the most useful comments in this thread. "Mint sux" doesn't help anything and will just get ignored. Actual useful and detailed criticism and feedback is a whole different story. Some people also seem to have this idea that because they think it should be different means everyone feels that way. It's so not the case. Even in the dev team these kinds of things are constantly debated. And keep in mind we try to listen to our user base as a whole for general trends in what people want to see. Not just individuals. We can't please everyone. The idea is to deliver something that the majority of our users are happy to use :) And when it comes to things like themes and colors we go out of our way to provide users with built in choices so they have some easy options.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

JosephM wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:12 pm
And when it comes to things like themes and colors we go out of our way to provide users with built in choices so they have some easy options.
don't know how mate ships today with mint, but i remember the most annoying ridiculous and overlooked item was that when you installed a distro which had mate desktop they all came with a pre-designated theme.
ok i like the theme you think to yourself, but lets try another and see how the built in themes look in my eyes.
hmmm, after you try them all you think to yourself, nah i'll just go back to the way it was, RIGHT!

nope, the default theme in mate which you liked and and began with was never saved, so now you have to choose and pick one of the themes that are built in.
@tgm1024
it used to be that you can have a toolbar for caja icons only, now you can't, even though there is an option in settings or control center. maybe i'm wrong haven't used the new mate.

jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer »

I don't get it.

If you think Mint is ugly, why don't you open Themes and change what it looks like? What do we have 3 standard "window boarders", 35 standard "Icons", 35 standard "controls", 2 different "mouse pointers", and 35 different "Desktops?" That is a lot of options even without going to add/remove and looking for new ones.

Mine is Window boarders: Mint-Y, Icons: hicolor, Controls: HighContrast, Mouse Pointer: DMZ-Black, Desktop: cinnamon. It probably does not look like yours, and if you don't like it, I don't care.

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

jjp2145-oldtimer wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:24 am
I don't get it.

If you think Mint is ugly, why don't you open Themes and change what it looks like? What do we have 3 standard "window boarders", 35 standard "Icons", 35 standard "controls", 2 different "mouse pointers", and 35 different "Desktops?" That is a lot of options even without going to add/remove and looking for new ones.

Mine is Window boarders: Mint-Y, Icons: hicolor, Controls: HighContrast, Mouse Pointer: DMZ-Black, Desktop: cinnamon. It probably does not look like yours, and if you don't like it, I don't care.
You don't get it, because you didn't read what I said, much like the guys above who are attempting the high-road argument toward things that I already addressed in the first post.

I know how to change things, I'm a software engineer for decades specializing in startups. This is about presentation out of the box (hence the thread).

IF the goal is as is so often stated, to move desktop linux into a feasible desktop replacement for Windows and Mac for the masses, then two things:

1. Mint has achieved something no other Linux has done IMO. It's managed to be successful in saying "Release carefully, not right away."

I put it as "Ubuntu without the headache." Occasionally, I put it as "Linux without the uphill battle."

2. GIVEN #1 ABOVE, it's shooting yourself in the foot to continue without paying attention to standard marketing principals.

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

Guys, I'm simply not going to tolerate this much longer. You can agree or disagree, but it's now about the attempt to misrepresent what I'm saying.

Words to this effect:
1. TOTAL BS: "Why are you telling us this, tell the team". <---The team does look here and I've seen Clem post as well. PLUS, this is an opinion thread regarding the potential ugliness.
2. TOTAL BS: "Saying 'Mint Sux' isn't helpful". <---Find where I said this, I dare you. This is confined to marketing and color principals. Please read my post.
3. TOTAL BS: "Tell the team, but use carefully made arguments." THIS IS AN OPINION THREAD CONFINED TO LOOKS. PLUS, I went past mere opinion with rationale: I showed examples of the use of color. I showed examples of marketing principals (good luck resisting those!). What more could you possibly want. You all should have just read my top post, and just left it alone, instead of attacking the messenger.
4. TOTAL BS: "You must be wrong because look, Mint must be great because of how popular it is." Totally dangerous box-thinking in the company starting world. You've managed to make the closest to a desktop replacement I've ever seen. The popularity SHOULD BE EXCEEDING BASE UBUNTU BY MILES. And even if it were, it could be doing much much better. The best thing since sliced bread can benefit from not shooting itself in the foot.

Agree or disagree about the color but know 2 things.
1. This is no longer about people agreeing with me, it's about misrepresenting what I said.
2. Any argument of the form: "Seems like people are happy with how it looks" is not taking into account that you'll never hear from the people that pass it up.
Last edited by tgm1024 on Tue May 05, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

In fact, I'm asking for either my account be terminated or for a permanent ban.

I'll not respond to such nonsense interpretations of what I've had to repeat now very clearly.

I can deal with disagreement about the esthetics of the color. I cannot deal with high-road attempts at battling things that I either addressed or didn't say at all.

That they're even attempted to this degree shows a huge failing by moderators, or an endemic attitude that will never be productive to making Mint better than ever.

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

Ban/Termination Request.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tgm1024 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 pm
Guys, I'm simply not going to tolerate this much longer.
Ma'am, I don't think anyone here will shed a single tear if you decide to mount your high horse and ride off into the sunset. Please take your request to the admins. I'm sure you can figure out how to reach them.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”