OK - I'm going to sound like a phan-boi ... but

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

OK - I'm going to sound like a phan-boi ... but

Post by srq2625 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Maybe it's not unique to LM, but I find the ease with which the installer works to be amazing.

Case in point, for my desktop, I have a couple of wireless NICs. The one of interest here is

Code: Select all

scott@broadcom-lm:~$ lspci | grep Network
09:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)
Debian can't handle this card (at least not stretch). I know, I tried. They have a device driver that almost works, but it's sluggish when not used for a bit, looses connection, sometimes doesn't connect. You get the drift.

So, I thought the desktop was limited to wired connection - in fact I did some "let's run some wires under the house" to connect the desktop to the router that is on the other side of the house. BTW - the wired connection beats the WiFi every time. Just saying.

Anyway decided to run an experiment on an empty scratch disk (I have a few)
  • Disconnect the Cat5 from the box
  • Install the above card
  • Boot up the LiveUSB of LM 19 MATE that I downloaded today
  • Of course the WiFi card was not recognized and I had no internet connection, but I went ahead with the installation anyway.
  • Reboot the box and the WiFi still didn't work so I started up the device manager. It complained about no internet but offered to look at the installation media instead.
  • So, I inserted the LiveUSB and the device manager was happy.
  • Device manager found the source code for the kernel module required for the WiFi chip, compiled it, installed it and then told me to reboot.
  • Rebooted the computer and WOW, the WiFi was working.
  • Establish a connection with my WiFi router and life is golden
Like I said above, I don't know if this is unique to LM, but the fact that I was able to install a system, and then install the CORRECT WiFi driver all without an internet connection - doesn't get much better than that!

gm10
Level 7
Level 7

Re: OK - I'm going to sound like a phan-boi ... but

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Such success stories are always nice to hear. The driver manager is specific to Mint but it uses the ubuntu-drivers code from, as the name implies, Ubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”