OK - I'm going to sound like a phan-boi ... but

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srq2625

OK - I'm going to sound like a phan-boi ... but

Post by srq2625 »

Maybe it's not unique to LM, but I find the ease with which the installer works to be amazing.

Case in point, for my desktop, I have a couple of wireless NICs. The one of interest here is

Code: Select all

scott@broadcom-lm:~$ lspci | grep Network
09:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)
Debian can't handle this card (at least not stretch). I know, I tried. They have a device driver that almost works, but it's sluggish when not used for a bit, looses connection, sometimes doesn't connect. You get the drift.

So, I thought the desktop was limited to wired connection - in fact I did some "let's run some wires under the house" to connect the desktop to the router that is on the other side of the house. BTW - the wired connection beats the WiFi every time. Just saying.

Anyway decided to run an experiment on an empty scratch disk (I have a few)
  • Disconnect the Cat5 from the box
  • Install the above card
  • Boot up the LiveUSB of LM 19 MATE that I downloaded today
  • Of course the WiFi card was not recognized and I had no internet connection, but I went ahead with the installation anyway.
  • Reboot the box and the WiFi still didn't work so I started up the device manager. It complained about no internet but offered to look at the installation media instead.
  • So, I inserted the LiveUSB and the device manager was happy.
  • Device manager found the source code for the kernel module required for the WiFi chip, compiled it, installed it and then told me to reboot.
  • Rebooted the computer and WOW, the WiFi was working.
  • Establish a connection with my WiFi router and life is golden
Like I said above, I don't know if this is unique to LM, but the fact that I was able to install a system, and then install the CORRECT WiFi driver all without an internet connection - doesn't get much better than that!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: OK - I'm going to sound like a phan-boi ... but

Post by gm10 »

Such success stories are always nice to hear. The driver manager is specific to Mint but it uses the ubuntu-drivers code from, as the name implies, Ubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”