Update Recommended Memory to 4 GB RAM

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ssspace

Update Recommended Memory to 4 GB RAM

Post by ssspace »

You recommend 2 GB RAM to comfortably use Linux Mint Cinnamon 19: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597
System requirements:

1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
Some data:

My free -h command outputs (sum of used+shared memory):
boot + terminal opened = 700 MB

Firefox with 1 tab (Linux Mint website) + terminal + text editor = 1040 MB

Firefox with 2 tabs (Linux Mint website + webmail) + terminal + text editor = 1450 MB

Firefox with 3 tabs (Linux Mint website + webmail + Spotify playing music) + terminal + text editor = 1560 MB

Firefox with 3 tabs (Linux Mint website + webmail + Spotify playing music) + terminal + text editor + LibreOffice Writer = 1700 MB

Firefox with 3 tabs (Linux Mint website + webmail + Youtube playing video) + terminal + text editor + LibreOffice Writer = 1770 MB

Firefox with 1 tab (Youtube playing video) + Thunderbird + terminal + text editor = 1670 MB
But this is a light use, some people use heavier apps and open 5 or more browser tabs, listen to music and do other things at the same time.

1 GB RAM is absurd, 2 GB RAM is not reasonable because LM Cinnamon uses 1/3 of this just to boot, 4 GB RAM is more reasonable for most people. I think these numbers should be updated to be more realistic and prevent users from having a bad experience:
- Minimum: 2 GB RAM
- Recommended: 4 GB RAM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Update Recommended Memory to 4 GB RAM

Post by catweazel »

ssspace wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 pm - Minimum: 2 GB RAM
System requirements are always the absolute minimum. There is nothing wrong with the minimums provided.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...in addition to what catweazel said, i'll just leave that here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ifications
You tell me who is being 'absurd' now... :wink:
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

thx-1138 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 am ...in addition to what catweazel said, i'll just leave that here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ifications
You tell me who is being 'absurd' now... :wink:
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense either. Ubuntu recommends 2 GB but later the text says 4 GB(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... quirements). Which is absurd too, if you try to use Ubuntu GNOME with 4 GB you will have a horrible experience. I have 8 GB and a CPU capable of 3.3 GHz + GPU and Ubuntu is slow.

Every system needs to be more realistic, we are in 2018, things changed, 2 GB RAM made sense 5 years ago, not today.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ssspace wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 pm I think these numbers should be updated to be more realistic and prevent users from having a bad experience:
I agree. Maybe you want to say that to the developers? They rarely use the forums.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

Moem wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 am
ssspace wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 pm I think these numbers should be updated to be more realistic and prevent users from having a bad experience:
I agree. Maybe you want to say that to the developers? They rarely use the forums.

If you or someone could contact them that would be awesome, thanks.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

+1

I guess if you just want to load the desktop to enjoy the view and take a snapshot, you can get away with 1 GB as the absolute minimum. Of course swap can broaden the view somewhat :wink:
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

ssspace wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:20 am..........................
Which is absurd too, if you try to use Ubuntu GNOME with 4 GB you will have a horrible experience.................
...i wouldn't doubt such at all ;-)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

My ASUS with 4gB RAM was intolerably slow for me with 18.3 Cinnamon.

The addition of 8gB for a total of 12gB and 500gB SSD has now made it usable for me.

My backup laptop, Acer Aspire 5253 with 2gB RAM and 1.3mHz CPU cannot even handle MATE.
Tried that, it crawled to load up the desktop.
Total erase and installed XCFE and it is relatively speedy, as long, as, I only have two tabs open in Firefox, and Terminal and Ted.

Forget using LibreOffice, ain't gonna happen. So, the Aspire is going to have more RAM added and when I can, will add a SSD to replace the very slow spinning disk.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ssspace wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:25 am
Moem wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 am Maybe you want to say that to the developers? They rarely use the forums.
You're someone, as much as anyone else is. I don't have methods at my disposal that you don't have. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I think it's fine. These are the requirements for running the OS, not 20 applications or a database server.

Windows 10 system requirements in comparison: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ns#sysreqs

PS: I have way more open atm than in the examples in the OP but with a much lower memory footprint. MATE + chromium though.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ssspace wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:25 am
Moem wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 am

I suspect they have bigger fish to fry. Besides, you ALWAYS double minimum system requirements.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

I just used the "Contact us" and sent the link of this thread.
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

An alternative is to remove the "Minimum" and just leave the "Recommended" specs.

When you use a software/game you want to know what you need to have a good experience, you don't want someone telling you "well, it runs but is slow, it takes 5 minutes to do that and it's very sluggish".

To be honest, Windows and all Linux distros need 4 GB RAM nowadays, if you have less than that it's going to be painful to use.
bobbyk

Post by bobbyk »

I'm running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon on an Asus A53U, 1.6 GHZ. Radeon graphics, 4GB Ram, 300GB drive(not SSD) and it runs great. Cinnamon is snappier and the overall feeling is fast.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:03 am
System requirements are always the absolute minimum. There is nothing wrong with the minimums provided.
I don't get the point of this? Every system I have known since windows 95 has stated the minimum required to load and run it - perhaps we should be pedantic and start changing it to recommended, but then some would find fault with that as well :roll: :roll:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

SwanRider wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:19 am
catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:03 am
I don't get the point of this? Every system I have known since windows 95 has stated the minimum required to load and run it - perhaps we should be pedantic and start changing it to recommended, but then some would find fault with that as well :roll: :roll:
I would find fault with it, because it would misrepresent the actual requirements.

2 GB RAM are more than enough for e.g. my mother to check her emails, do some web surfing and watch some streams. Now if I tried to run a big database server or load the newest 3D video game with just 2 GB RAM that's a different story entirely, but at that point it's the responsibility of the user to check their software's system requirements.

Also it would look weird for Mint to be the only system out there to have inflated requirements. Users shopping for a new operating system might disregard it based on those numbers alone.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:39 am My ASUS with 4gB RAM was intolerably slow for me with 18.3 Cinnamon.

The addition of 8gB for a total of 12gB and 500gB SSD has now made it usable for me.
I expect the addition of SSD was of more help than the 8GB of RAM.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”