Copying a CD/DVD that will Self Destroy within minutes of opening it up

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Copying a CD/DVD that will Self Destroy within minutes of opening it up

Post by AZgl1800 »

James Bond stuff: I love to read and read and read, and now I am reading about a secret agent who has been given access to "super secret CIA files" to read only. He has been informed that the CD/DVD will self destroy itself if any attempt is made to copy the file, or to print the files...... he is given 30 minutes to absorb the info and then it is all over.

My mind immediately jumped to ScreenRecorder.

as the CD only contains readable info, text files he is told, and some PDF files.
he is warned the minute he tries to print anything, the jig is up.

So, you super sleuths you, my question is:

1) is it possible to make a CD/DVD overwrite, or melt ( their story )
( I would open it in "read only mode", would not not defeat their scheme? )

2) Is there anyway, the DVD could detect that ScreenRecorder is running?

The DVD is data only, it isn't restricted to MSDOS, or WinXX, or iOS, or Android, or yaba daba do...

your ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rado84

Re: Copying a CD/DVD that will Self Destroy within minutes of opening it up

Post by rado84 »

Such things happen only on movies. IRL there's no way to set a DVD to self destruct and it can't detect what program is running. Even if it does have a software for that, simply by turning off autorun in the OS options, nothing will be autoexecuted and you can freely copy only the files you need.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

that was my supposition also,
it is just a blank piece of plastic, and copying files does not cause executable code to run....

and as you said, turning off the Write Mode, stops all that horse pucky.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Wasn't there a thing for a while at least where you could get DVDs of movies which basically would die after being played a couple times? That way, you could just pitch the disc and not return it to the "rental" place?

EDIT: Ah ha! I knew it... Flexplay
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 am Wasn't there a thing for a while at least where you could get DVDs of movies which basically would die after being played a couple times? That way, you could just pitch the disc and not return it to the "rental" place?

EDIT: Ah ha! I knew it... Flexplay
ah ha, I now remember that stuff, and we the people refused to buy or rent that crap.
but again, having been advised in advance, the guru would simply insert the disk in non-executable mode, and copy off the contents, and then let it turn blue. oh hoo hoo you blue :mrgreen:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Of course you can do it. Given the time, the money, and the motivation........oh, and a script writer who has no imagination. It may be possible, however it would need to be hard coded into the "reader" to determine that said disk is volatile otherwise every disk could be a potential time bomb.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”