Praise For Tara 19

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dawgfan16

Praise For Tara 19

Post by Dawgfan16 »

I do not do a lot of posting and switched to Linux Mint in Dec 2013.
It has been a wonderful system for me.
I can not praise the the team enough for just how polished this distro has become,
It is the only distro for me.
This time I did a clean install and it has been amazing..
Keep up the great work.
Windows out of my life for 6 years now and I can only Thank You so many times.
Great Job Guys and gals.

Dawgfan16
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Praise For Tara 19

Post by all41 »

@Dawgfan16
Yep--
Enjoy
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Johann_Popper

Post by Johann_Popper »

I don't know if this qualifies as a UX bug, but Mint devs have a responsibility to the community to make the Linux desktop just buggy enough, ugly enough, and non-productive enough, to push me away from my desk on beautiful summer afternoons like this. They didn't do that with Tara. As a result, I'm frittering my life away enjoying a well-designed, well-tested OS. I'm even getting loads of work done at the same time. This is egregious. Clem et al should be ashamed of themselves. The really sick thing is, Solus is incredible too, so all this progress and stability is obviously an Irish problem.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Johann_Popper wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:45 pm I don't know if this qualifies as a UX bug, but Mint devs have a responsibility to the community to make the Linux desktop just buggy enough, ugly enough, and non-productive enough, to push me away from my desk on beautiful summer afternoons like this. They didn't do that with Tara. As a result, I'm frittering my life away enjoying a well-designed, well-tested OS. I'm even getting loads of work done at the same time. This is egregious. Clem et al should be ashamed of themselves. The really sick thing is, Solus is incredible too, so all this progress and stability is obviously an Irish problem.
Yes, darn it, Clem has some 'splanin' to do! :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Dawgfan16 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 am I do not do a lot of posting and switched to Linux Mint in Dec 2013.
It has been a wonderful system for me.
I can not praise the the team enough for just how polished this distro has become,
It is the only distro for me.
This time I did a clean install and it has been amazing..
Keep up the great work.
Windows out of my life for 6 years now and I can only Thank You so many times.
Great Job Guys and gals.

Dawgfan16
Always great to see post like this :) I love Tara as well and totally agree with everything you've said here :)
ud6

Post by ud6 »

19.0 Tara (Mate) has been the best functioning linux system I've used in the 15 years or so I've used linux. It solved problems I had in 18.3 (bluetooth, touchpad, drivers). Really, for me it's been flawless and indeed beautiful. Only annoyance has been WPS problem, but that's not mint's fault of course. Can't thank mint enough. Windows 10 is probably the best windows edition out there. Mint 19 is far better (faster, more reliable, more control and sooo user friendly). Mint is the only real linux challenger to windows on the desktop because it is so user friendly. Of course I'm used to mint mate now, but it just seems more direct and easier to do what I want tham anything else out there.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

Praise For Tara 19
Give her some time to show her horns and you'll quickly kick her in the arse and go back to Sylvia. :lol:
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

Exactly. That's what I did.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

No problems with 19 here. Fine release. :mrgreen:

Note that 19 has a brand-new codebase, so some teething troubles are inevitably to be expected.... Over time, the updates should iron those out.
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

To those appreciating the new release, thank you!
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

JosephM wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:12 am To those appreciating the new release, thank you!
I thank you for helping to make it. It's an excellent piece of work. :)

Most complaints are normal at this stage and shouldn't bother you too much, if at all... Some people don't realize that it's simply unfair to compare the stability of a well-matured LTS like Mint 18.x, with that of a brand-new LTS like 19. Oh well, that's life.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

no problem here running any of the 18.04 bionic derivatives...DAMIEN
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I thank you for helping to make it. It's an excellent piece of work
Much appreciated :)
Most complaints are normal at this stage and shouldn't bother you too much, if at all
Oh, I don't. There are obviously some growing pains on the new base and some known issues. What I see a lot of here on the forums is "this thing just quit working, I'm going back to a previous version". That's not very helpful. No attempt at troubleshooting the issue. Not trying to reproduce it. If people can let us know what the problem is and how to recreate it, we can often fix it. I know not everyone has the time or know how, but if they do it would be a huge help. Especially if it's in one of Mint's own tools. Often troubleshooting isn't that difficult. Make it better for future releases or for updates to the current release. It's not like we want users stuck with broken or buggy stuff ;)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

I regularly install linux on old dual-core boxes for charity. Mint has proven simple, reliable, and dependable -- exactly what I and my users need. My users don't know Linux but they have no problems at all using Mint / Xfce.

19 continues this tradition. I had a few small issues at first because I jumped the gun and installed it right away (rather than waiting a couple months on a new release like I usually do). But once I got to the 4.15.0-29 kernel and the systemd update, all has been working fantastic and glitch-free.

Another triumph for the Mint team. Thank you so much for this product I know I can trust and depend on!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

JosephM wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:12 am To those appreciating the new release, thank you!
I have been extremely happy with 18.3 Cinnamon, it just plain works and does a great job.

then I did a dual boot install with Tara Cindy so that I could compare apples to apples on the same machine.

Cindy is becoming very alluring to me, it is so subtle, the screen has less "eye-strain" and the fonts are so crisp, the whole overall feeling is hard to describe, slickness in operation, speedy results, and how can it be that the Internet is FASTER?

I am trying to resolve that in my mind, how can that be, unless Cindy is somehow making the WiFi adapter run more efficiently?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:20 am No problems with 19 here. Fine release. :mrgreen:

Note that 19 has a brand-new codebase, so some teething troubles are inevitably to be expected.... Over time, the updates should iron those out.
Maybe so but I still prefer to wait for at least 19.3 before I upgrade to it. Besides, there's another thing that drives me off the 19th version - the mandatory installation of a software I don't want - the intel microcode.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”