Going back to LM 18.3

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Going back to LM 18.3

Post by tgwilt »

I ran LM 19 cinnamon version for about a week. Didn't have any problems other than it was slow to boot, and a lot of things just seemed to run slower to me. Granted, I didn't time them and do a comparison, but I decided to go back to LM 18.3 today. The install was easy, and I was able to restore my homedir, although Timeshift wouldn't show any snapshots. I know the snapshots were on the external drive - I checked, but it wasn't a big deal.

There you have it. If LM 19 ever seems to boot, shutdown, and run as fast as LM 18.3, I'll install it again. No biggee. This is just my opinion, and YMMV.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Going back to LM 18.3

Post by ajgringo619 »

Did you do an upgrade or clean install? So far my Mint 19 XFCE system seems pretty snappy compared to my Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (I know - not a fair comparison). For a major release that's only a few weeks old, it's actually a lot better that I thought; Fedora 28 was a mess when it first came out.

Hopefully the 19.1 release will fix the major problems/annoyances.
Last edited by ajgringo619 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

I wasn't thinking about upgrading to 19 yet, and waiting for 19.1; however, I've never been a fan of an "upgrade" from a major version. I would think that a fresh install is the way to go, then copy all your files in your Home folder.
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tgwilt »

ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:21 pm Did you do an upgrade or clean install?

Hopefully the 19.1 release will fix the major problems/annoyances.
I always do a clean install. Learned a long time ago to backup important stuff, so I'm never really in a lurch. Looking forward to 19.1, although I've thought about using XFCE. I used XFCE on Ubuntu for a long time, and liked it. The leanest window manager I ever used was icewm. My machines aren't so old that I need to forego cinnamon. My laptop takes forever to boot into Win7, so I never use it. When I installed LM 18.3, the old (2007) Toshiba Satellite 775 ran like it was brand new.
Intrinsic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Intrinsic »

I have 18.3 on one machine, and Mint 19.x on another. Despite the difficulties I keep thinking about trying to get my older machine to 19.x as the features in it are worth the hassle.
Last edited by Intrinsic on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

At least you have the fall-back option for Mint 18.3. I took the plunge mainly for Evolution and a few other system upgrades; not completely necessary, but it was worth it.

Good luck with your next upgrade.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have tried a live USB 19 on my Lenovo T430 and HP PC and both seem to run OK. Nothing really new stands out and of course running live probably not as snappy as it would be on bare metal but not bad at all. All my hardware is supported - so that is my main concern before I upgrade. And I always do a fresh install. Also I rather wait for the .3 version and even at that will probably wait well into 2019 before I actually start using it as my daily driver.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I looked at LM19, and IMO, it is not ready for the BigTime yet.

as for restoring your old setup, try Aptik.
Before you destroy your current setup/configuration, run Aptik and make a backup to an extHDD.

then later, you can go back to 18.3 from LM19 if you wish, and use Aptik to clone the OS drive right back to the way it was.
it don't even have to be the same type drive, I used Aptik to clone my new SSD from the HDD configuration.

Aptik does NOT backup your data.... just the OS and Preferences.

it works!
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

tgwilt wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 pm I ran LM 19 cinnamon version for about a week. Didn't have any problems other than it was slow to boot, and a lot of things just seemed to run slower to me.
Kernel 4.15.0-24 is a source of major woes so it might pay to eliminate it as a possible cause, assuming you're running that kernel. You might try dropping back to 4.15.0-22 or even 4.15.0-20 if you are using it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 pm I looked at LM19, and IMO, it is not ready for the BigTime yet.

as for restoring your old setup, try Aptik.
Before you destroy your current setup/configuration, run Aptik and make a backup to an extHDD.

then later, you can go back to 18.3 from LM19 if you wish, and use Aptik to clone the OS drive right back to the way it was.
it don't even have to be the same type drive, I used Aptik to clone my new SSD from the HDD configuration.

Aptik does NOT backup your data.... just the OS and Preferences.

it works!
Thanks for this. For those wanting to install this, you can use the Software Manager to install it. Don't forget to install the frontend.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Executioner wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:45 pm
Thanks for this. For those wanting to install this, you can use the Software Manager to install it. Don't forget to install the frontend.
[/quote]

yes, that is easier than doing what I did:

the new way that TJ has it works better, as he split it into two apps, not one.

Main:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptik

the GUI
apt install aptik-gtk
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
mikerr

Post by mikerr »

I've gone back to 18.3 mainly because 19 seems to have less support for the surface pro 3, and 18.3 is "good enough". Specifically 19 doesn't support the surface dock ethernet properly

I run it as a live usb with 4gb persistence though somaybe an edge case.
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

Long story short: I personally do not feel that 19 is ready for everyday use - certainly not on any of my machines. Too many fixes that require extensive terminal usage and knowledge. Strange boot up problems with grub, failure of Wine to operate as in the past, missing files after updates - just to mention a few hiccups experienced on my machines. Could not get the back in time thing to work either.

So I backed up my files (my system takes about 5 minutes) and went back to 18.3. Kind of like Windows - Seven was much better than Ten. Thankfully, forced upgrades are not a part of Linux.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Speaking for myself, I'm completely happy sticking with LM 18.3 on my PCs, as I rarely immediately embrace a new major version, unless it has an overly compelling feature that I need. I do have LM 19 on a separate partition, but that's just to play with, figure out how Timeshift works, see what's new, etc.

I typically start migrating to a new LM on the odd-numbered point releases (e.g., 18.1, 18.3, 19.1, 19.3, etc.). It gives me something to do each winter (in the northern hemisphere). :)

While 18.3 is supported until April 2021, it's my understanding that the Universe and Multiverse repositories for Ubuntu start to wind down on their updates after three years, unlike the Main repository which is supported for the complete five years of the LTS lifecycle. This is what gives me the gentle nudge to test LM 19, and mentally bookmark 19.1 as my next production deployment. We shall see.

Joe
bobbiemac421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobbiemac421 »

Every browser I tried locked up the system when playing a video. Firefox, Chrome, Chromium -all the same. Too bad, but there's some bug and the latest updates haven't fixed it. I liked 19, but I do want to watch a video and it simply would not work. Did not evaluate if I could watch a video with VLC.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

as we all run different hardware, then it's always a case of YMMV ..
& on the three Lenovo PCs that I've installed LM 19 onto & it works just fine.

so, what some folks will do, is to wait for the next release, which is LM19.1,
and they will make more of an effort to utilize that version.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lazarus

Post by lazarus »

I have an Asus laptop (I know, I know) that was running LM18.3 Cinnamon fairly well, if a bit slowly. It's primarily just a media player -> TV from the NAS and it handled that job well.

It seemed to run nicely under LM19 Cinnamon LiveUSB, so I tried a fresh install for curiosities sake. Faster boot times, but slower desktop. Not too bad, given it's age.

The killer was that, for some reason, it wouldn't stream AVIs from the NAS although it'd play them locally just fine. Neither VLC nor Media Player would look at them; .MKVs, .MPGs, .FLVs, .etc all worked as expected, just .AVIs giving me grief. Odd. Same network settings, etc as before; double- & triple-checked. Codecs & plugins all seemed fine.

Meh. I'm rolling back to 18.3 again, Mate variant. Just to see how much that speeds things along. If it behaves, that's how it'll stay.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

you don't say with ASUS,

mine is a TP500L and I have added a SSD and 12gB RAM

it handles everything just fine so far, have not run into any distro it won't run.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I found myself running into a few irritating niggles with the Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce desktops of Mint 19, which may have been kernel related. I then tried LMDE3 and everything works properly and fast. I like Cinnamon, so I may stay with this branch of Mint for a while.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

If you think these problems are bad, try being a Windows 10 IT guy. Every update causes hours and hours of grief and it all varies from machine to machine. Seems no two ever react to updating the same.

I do run 18.3 as 19 was a bag of small problems. In a few months that will all be fixed and I can switch to 19.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”