About linux mint debían edition

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lokuis

About linux mint debían edition

Post by Lokuis »

Hello im new to linux mint and linux in general. I have installed the latest versión (tara) but im interested in the debían versión. Debían edition 2 is capable of using latest cinnamon versión? Also, can i install new software in it?
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: About linux mint debían edition

Post by ralplpcr »

Generally speaking, since Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) and LMDE are both ultimately based on Debian, you should be able to run the same software and desktop environments (such as Cinnamon) on either. The main difference is that LMDE is not tied to the Ubuntu releases - - meaning that LMDE may actually get certain updates *before* other versions. It can also mean that it's not quite as stable: if new packages come out, they aren't tested for dependencies of existing packages and therefore *could* break something else you've installed.

LMDE has a download already configured with Cinnamon installed.

If you're new to Linux in general, I'd advise getting familiar with Ubuntu-based Mint first before diving into Debian edition. While LMDE is a fantastic release, it can be a lot easier to mess up if you don't know what you're doing.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

one of the Main Differences with the LMDE is that you can't use PPAs to install anything new,,
so you do have to use the Software Manager a bit more, than you normally would do.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Lokuis

Post by Lokuis »

Thank you guys for the replies. I asked because for example: I can't install latest VLC version only the one provided by the PPA. So I want to install newest third party software.
Thank you
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

On LMDE 2 you can't run the latest Cinnamon version as its library versions are too old. But LMDE 3 is being worked on right now and it will have the same (latest) Cinnamon version as Linux Mint 19. A public beta can likely be expected in next few weeks. Keep an eye on https://blog.linuxmint.com/ where any announcements of new releases are made.

It looks like LMDE 3 will have support for Flatpak in Software Manager, just like Linux Mint 19 has. Flatpak easily lets you install latest versions of popular programs. You browse all Flatpaks available by default through Software Manager here: https://flathub.org/apps. VLC is on the list so if you have a specific need for a newer version than you find in the default repositories of Linux Mint 19 / LMDE 3, for example because you know a newer version fixes a particular bug affect you or you need a new feature from a newer version, you can install the latest version of available programs on that link easily in the Flatpak category in Software Manager.
prodromos

Post by prodromos »

It would be good if you create one minimal iso, some like me prefer to install others environments, like xfce, lxqt. you understand it is not correct to install first for example lmde mate, and after delete mate to install xfce!!! i think will be helping many people if the prepare one iso without environment.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

whilst there is no minimalistic ISO for LMDE,,
you still can add-in other Desktop Environments - - whilst taking the appropriate care, of course.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”