Recurring Mint 19 Issues?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Recurring Mint 19 Issues?

Post by appalbarry »

Hi all, this probably overly broad, but am I alone in finding that Mint 19 Cinnamon (AMD64) seems to have more than few odd-ball issues?

I've been running Mint for several years (Since Mint 12 back in 2011), and this is the first time that I have had anything but a flawless experience.

On my desktop the whole thing crashed with a ICEauthority problem. That could only be solved by rebooting to a GRUB recovery menu and using an older kernel.

My laptop seems to have a mercurial approach to suspend and restore, with it sometimes doing what I expect, and other times seemingly rebooting when the lid is opened. Many tries at the settings hasn't entirely fixed it.

There have been any number of other small but strange things, things that I know I've never encountered in the past. Printers and scanners that just auto-installed in the past seemed to require a lot of fiddling to work this time.

And as far as I know, it's still not possible to format a USB stick and be able to write to it? And is Xreader really the best PDF viewer available? (Hint, it's not)

In all seriousness, I'd love to hear from other people - am I just unlucky, or is Mint 19 just a little bit weird? I'm sure I'll stick with Mint, but I'd like to get it back to being the super easy install and rock--solid experience that I've enjoyed in past years.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Recurring Mint 19 Issues?

Post by karlchen »

<Dejà-vû>
Dejà-vû, after Mint 17 had been published, after Mint 18 had been published. Any freshly published new LTS release seems to be the worst release ever published.
Perhaps it pays off waiting for service pack 1 (Ubuntu jargon) or for the dot one release (Mint jargon: 17.1, 18.1, 19.1).
Bananas are harvested green and need some time to ripen.
Some bananas start greener than other bananas.
The greenest banana which I have ever come across was Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin. Whoopsie was my permanent companion. Yet, lo and behold, once it had advanced to 12.04 SP1 the Pangolin had turned into my most dependable and stable companion and Whoopsie could not be bothered to pay a visit to my screen any longer. Used both, Pangolin and Maya, for the full 5 years.
</Dejà-vû>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

just like That Other Operating System,, it sometimes does pay to wait a little bit,
and get a minor dot-point release, such as 17.2,, 18.2,, 19.2,, etc . ..

there is several theories around this idea,, so it's certainly not a new idea,,
and there sure is some folks who will only ever install that minor dot-point release.
ie: they won't, ever install something that's just been released. :o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hey, regular forum visitors may know that Mint 19 has been hit by some self-made glitches and by some faults introduced by Ubuntu 18.04.
And in one case, a software update, which was published for Ubuntu 16.04 before the same update was published for Ubuntu 18.04, temporarily invalidated the in-place upgrade path from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19.
Users who were hit by one or several of these problems may easily conclude that Mint 19 were less mature than previous LTS releases.
Is it really?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
jbMacAZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbMacAZ »

I dual boot with other Linux distros. Sometimes when I update Mint19, the boot order gets reset. Mint can't boot Manjaro due to the Arch micro-code hack. So on my system, Mint can't be first in the boot order. Mint 18 did not cause any boot order problems outside of the initial install (which is expected, because every distro thinks it should be boot#1). I'll probably add a custom.cfg as a fail safe, since grub-install from Manjaro quickly resolves the problem, most of the time. My equipment is an Asus T100CHI (Intel baytrail Z3775 w/32-bit UEFI, mmcblk SSD storage) using MInt19 Cinnamon 64 bit.
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

One more thing driving me mad: periodically, for no obvious reason, the whole system will slow to a halt, with the hard drive LED burning non-stop. I think it's connected to Firefox, but System Monitor doesn't show any unusual CPU, Memory, or hard drive use.

Again, just something weird that I haven't encountered before. I'm sure that most of this will get resolved pretty soon, but I'm surprised.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

jbMacAZ wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:49 pm I dual boot with other Linux distros. Sometimes when I update Mint19, the boot order gets reset. Mint can't boot Manjaro due to the Arch micro-code hack. So on my system, Mint can't be first in the boot order. Mint 18 did not cause any boot order problems outside of the initial install (which is expected, because every distro thinks it should be boot#1). I'll probably add a custom.cfg as a fail safe, since grub-install from Manjaro quickly resolves the problem, most of the time. My equipment is an Asus T100CHI (Intel baytrail Z3775 w/32-bit UEFI, mmcblk SSD storage) using MInt19 Cinnamon 64 bit.
I'm doing a separate grub volume that just chainloads to the grub.cfg for other distros. Each distro still has its own /boot (in the same partition as root). When installing a new distro, I point the bootloader to an external drive so a /boot/grub/grub.cfg is still generated by the installer but the actual bootloader on /dev/sda isn't replaced. System seems to work well. Granted, I haven't performed an in-place update yet - just all new installs.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

151tom wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 am Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon has been rock solid on my 10 year old desktops no problems I can recall. :)
I wish I could say that, I installed LM19 Cinnamon 4 or 5 days ago, and I am running into a LOT of things that are not right.

Screensaver can't be turned OFF.
it keeps activating and asking for a password.

Restart Desktop works sometimes, and won't other times. Control-Alt-Backspace

TouchPad OFF is turned back ON, every time the desktop is restarted, or the full OS is restarted. That is pissing me off big time.

the color themes are so anemic, they are giving me headaches... but I am pastel color blind.
I hate the new icon themes, I can't find Firefox because the icon is washed out as a solid bla color... I want the original Firefox themed color. I start Firefox up with a keyboard shortcut cntl-alt-F if it has been killed during a working session. I have Firefox setup as a startup app and that alerts me that my desktop is completely ready to go.

Firefox's banner at the current time is so bland, and blends into Tara's background schemes so bad, I can't find the tabs, or the menu selections... good thing FF is the single best browser on the market that answers properly to keyboard shortcut activations... I have them all memorized.

LM19 pro comments:
has to be at least twice as fast as 18.3 cinnamon on the same hardware, dual booting.

I can go back and forth between them in about 20 seconds with my SSD &12gB laptop.

Tara is faster accessing the same websites that I use on 18.3, why this is, I have no idea, but something is a lot better... must be more efficient working with the WiFi modem?

some of the apps are better designed, but I have not even begun to try them all out.
I quit when the above issues starting irritating me so much.

Timeshift: I am a fervent believer in Timeshift, so the "default = ON" did not bother me at all.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I installed Cinnamon 19 on my spare (test) HDD several days ago...I have since deleted it. OS installed without any problems as did my Graphics Card and Update Manager works...I even installed Virtualbox too...then the wheels fell off. :(

I installed Cinnamon 18.3 as a VM which went well but when I re-booted the VM Desktop Background was very bright and I coundn't fix it...couldn't install Wine from WineHQ...Software Manager or Synaptic Manager...kept saying Broken Packages...that's as far as I got...don't like Desktop Icons either...look ugly.

As this is a new version of Mint...problems will occur...hope 19.1 will be much better...so for now it's back to solid Cinnamon 18.3. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

LM19 died for me tonight, it was replaced with 18.3 xcfe on my dual boot laptop.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ud6

Post by ud6 »

I had problems in 18.3 (touchpad worked then stopped, on different machines and several installs). Blue tooth has always given me problems in linux. I gave up cinnamon shortly after it came in. Mate for me is much more stable, much faster, and I prefer menus.

But now... 19.0 works a dream. Only thing that is still annoying is how linux file transfer says '0 seconds left' for about a minute or more. Apparently this is not bug, but cos the time refers to writing into memory, not writing to file. Anyway, I use much faster f2fs file system on usb now, so hardly notice that (sorry windows users, that's just for us).
drakej

Post by drakej »

Registered finally just to comment on this. I didn't even intend to find this topic but a recent power well issue with intel that has my computer (brand new) freezing on boot sometimes and not shutting down properly seems more kernel related. Since I did find another topic on it elsewhere and it seems to be the 4.15.X line of kernels. 4.17.x may fix it?

That said, I also run it on a completely different architecture, a fairly new high end desktop using AMD Rysen on a MCI board. It's been running 18.X with a Nvidia discrete and the only issue I would hit was being logged in too long lead to very poor graphic performance and rendering from every single window manager except Compiz which was just unstable. This issue was solved by logging out and back in. Originally it would crash the system but a kernel update fixed that by 18.2 (not sure which).

Fast forward and with Linux Mint 19 I noticed none of these graphic or rendering issues so far (still crossing my fingers), however caja has been utterly terrible. It's been crashing on USB drives and failing to transfer for some odd reason. It's also shown issues with Samba, by far the least friendly result ever in terms of seeing computers on any workgroup. It's also struggled just to read Audio CDs. I thought I was crazy when it kept saying can't access (Caja) until I installed Nemo and accessed all of the tracks without issue. Pretty sure Caja developers just don't test this sort of stuff anymore.

Such a shame because with the 18.x issues I'm afraid to move back to that, however I'm finding 19 bad on any device. I'm going to be testing 18.3 at least on this new laptop. Hopefully I'll have good results but I'll try to follow regardless. Really really don't want to go to Ubuntu but with this laptop I need something that offers more kernel options besides 4.15.0 which is the only option available on 19 so far.
drakej

Post by drakej »

OK so I was able to solve the Linux Mint 19 issue on the Dell 5530 by using UKUU and installing 4.16.0 which worked and seems to be stable so far. Hope it goes well but I haven't really tested Caja yet.
andre154

Post by andre154 »

ud6 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:50 pm But now... 19.0 works a dream. Only thing that is still annoying is how linux file transfer says '0 seconds left' for about a minute or more. Apparently this is not bug, but cos the time refers to writing into memory, not writing to file. Anyway, I use much faster f2fs file system on usb now, so hardly notice that (sorry windows users, that's just for us).
How did you install Mint on F2FS?
ud6

Post by ud6 »

andre154 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:50 am How did you install Mint on F2FS?
Mint OS install to f2fs not currently supported... I was just talking about all my USBs being formatted to f2fs.

However, if you have SSD and want to use f2fs, what you could do is just install normally (ext4) with seperate home partition , and format the home partition as f2fs. I'm sure this would increase speed, but not tried it. However, my motorola android phone is set up like this, with ext4 and f2fs (as default).

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”