Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Saving TimeShift to a USB Drive

Post by Rocky Bennett » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 am

bob466 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:03 pm
I don't see any reason to do this...as I have a System Image stored on an External HDD. Image :D

You actually have to use the EXT4 format in order to use timeshift.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Rocky Bennett wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 am
bob466 wrote:
I don't see any reason to do this...as I have a System Image stored on an External HDD. Image :D

Yes I'm aware of this...I doubt Timeshift was meant for this purpose. :wink:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:36 pm

bob466 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 pm
Rocky Bennett wrote:
bob466 wrote:

Your original post makes no sense and your follow up makes even less sense. Exactly what are you talking about in relation to the post right before your first post?

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:30 am

Rocky Bennett wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:36 pm
bob466 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 pm
Rocky Bennett wrote:

Your original post makes no sense and your follow up makes even less sense. Exactly what are you talking about in relation to the post right before your first post?
Well maybe not to you...so I will explain...with Timeshift...some choose to place Snapshots on a Flash Drive but the problem is this...the Flash Drive must be formatted to EXT4 and if the HDD/SSD fails...you still have to Re-install the OS...then the Snapshot to get back where you were...something I doubt Timeshift was meant for...as I said. Image because it works like System Restore in Windoze. :roll:

A System Image does it all in one go...doesn't matter what the format is or HDD/SSD failure...that's the difference Image but people can do whatever they like. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Netherprovinc3
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Netherprovinc3 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:32 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:14 am
I use a trick: you do two things:
1) once Timeshift has run, quit. Then open the USB HDD as root.
rename the Timeshift folder Timeshift_PCname

2) now, open that Timeshift folder as Root, now create a Document named PCname.
no need to put anything into that document, it is a place name so you always know what PC that Timeshift folder belongs to.
it works like a charm. you only need to pick the correct folder, and rename it back to timeshift until you have completed your Timeshift backup.

Been doing this for a long time.
Thanks, your post is very helpful. Is there a way for me to use your method and also have Timeshift use my boot hard drive, too? The reason that I am concerned that this wont work is that I think Timeshift creates its first file as a large file with all of the operating system files. After that, it just creates a small bit of incremental data about what changed. I would want to have Timeshift running on a regular basis on my OS installed hard drive and occasionally hook up an external drive to do another Timeshift backup. I will then store the drive elsewhere, and it will not be regularly accessible.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm

Netherprovinc3 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:32 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:14 am
I use a trick: you do two things:
1) once Timeshift has run, quit. Then open the USB HDD as root.
rename the Timeshift folder Timeshift_PCname

2) now, open that Timeshift folder as Root, now create a Document named PCname.
no need to put anything into that document, it is a place name so you always know what PC that Timeshift folder belongs to.
it works like a charm. you only need to pick the correct folder, and rename it back to timeshift until you have completed your Timeshift backup.

Been doing this for a long time.
Thanks, your post is very helpful. Is there a way for me to use your method and also have Timeshift use my boot hard drive, too? The reason that I am concerned that this wont work is that I think Timeshift creates its first file as a large file with all of the operating system files. After that, it just creates a small bit of incremental data about what changed. I would want to have Timeshift running on a regular basis on my OS installed hard drive and occasionally hook up an external drive to do another Timeshift backup. I will then store the drive elsewhere, and it will not be regularly accessible.
If the PCnamed folder has been used once by Timeshift, that 'big' file is done.
after that, it only updates changes. the folder grows in size a bit, but not overly much.

You got to be religious about renaming 'Timeshift' back to 'Timeshift-PCname' or you will loose it to an over write.

and no, I never let Timeshift back up to /root. that is needless and can cause huge issues with running out of space..... depends on how much room you left for the OS partition.

Since the above post, I have switched up things a bit.
I copy the /backup to the extUSB HDD and Timeshift never sees the extUSB HDD.

on my Daily Driver laptop, I have the SSD divided into two equal main partitions.
the 2nd partition is labeled /Backup and holds folders for various utilities

I have Timeshift dedicated to /backup/Timeshift
it is programmed to do Daily Backups 5 times only, kills the 6th oldest.
that keeps the size under control....

if I am going to install something new, I then Create a Description of the newest Daily Backup and then that backup is a permanent fixture.... and Timeshift makes a new backup the next day.

Backup.png
Timeshift3.png

Netherprovinc3
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Netherprovinc3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:58 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm
I copy the /backup to the extUSB HDD and Timeshift never sees the extUSB HDD.
It seems like the advantage of your new process is that you don't have to remember to rename the folders on your external hard drive before running Timeshift. With your new system, you are less likely to overwrite a backup that you did not intend to overwrite.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:46 pm

Just format the USB drive using the provided USB formater tool. Using gparted is like using a sledge hammer on a fly.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

barddzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barddzen » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:57 pm

On my daily driver laptop I have Timeshift going to a second HDD that I added into the DVD bay. This backs up the critical system files. for my "data" I run the Backup tool to my Synology NAS. That basically covers the bases as much as I really need.

I have other, older laptops laying around the house running MX Linux and I don't have backups running on them at all. The OS it pretty throw away.

The point I'm making here is backups are meant to recover and get you back to stable as quickly as possible. With Linux, I can go from zero to OS install in under 10 minutes just using the downloaded ISO, not even using Timeshift, so backing up the OS really doesn't slow me down much. As for apps, i have that scripted and can get that installed within 30 minutes and my data restored from my NAS in another 30 minutes.

So ~1 hour I'm back from a complete nuke and pave to stable.

Doing this same thing on Windows is a multi-day trudge and MacOS a couple of hours max. Linux maybe an hour.

Keep in mind, I only talking about generic home use here, nothing critical.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”