One click or two?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ud6

One click or two?

Post by ud6 »

In the past I didn't use 'one click' option for opening files and folders as it confused me when I went back to using a windows system. Thankfully I no longer have that problem (having to use windows that is :lol: ).

I tried one click, as seems irritating to have to unecessarily repeat an operation, and I liked it alot. However, I stopped as it prevents you selecting an item for delete (you need to right click and find delete on menu item; whereas I was used to one click for selecting file or folder then pressing delete keyboard button).

Anybody use one click to launch software and open files, or tried and abandoned one click? Why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: One click or two?

Post by lsemmens »

I played with it once - it's a pain in the proverbial! One click to select another one to open just as GOD intended. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I don't take the detour via menu items so I'm perfectly fine with single click. However, I haven't found a Linux file manager that even comes close to Windows Explorer in functionality and ease of use so on Linux I do most of these things in a terminal.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

1 click to me is a super PITA, as I am constantly using Right Click to select additional Options.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

some other Linux Systems do also use One Click,
but personally., I'm not keen on that, as it can cause issues, like those mentioned above.

- - One Click to highlight, or two Clicks to Run - is my preferred option.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I've used one-click for years, just use ctl-click to highlight/un-highlight.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Two clicks here ftw.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

One click for me. My attention span isn't long enough for 2.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Two clicks for me.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

why not make it 3 clicks, give me a chance to change my feeble mind :lol:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

When it gets late and I am tired sometimes my fingers get lazy and misfire on the mouse so I prefer two.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have been using one click in Windows and Mint for quite a few years. No big deal.

L
ud6

Post by ud6 »

kenetics wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:44 pm One click for me. My attention span isn't long enough for 2.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for responses. I guess 1 click did mess with my head for a while, but now I'm used to it I do feel it is faster; and even more relaxing. I have video folder on a left panel, and set up VLC to automatically go full screen, on home system.. so I can watch a film using a total of two mouse clicks... think of all the calories I've saved! (As I eat chocolate and popcorn)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

ud6 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 am ...
However, I stopped as it prevents you selecting an item for delete (you need to right click and find delete on menu item; whereas I was used to one click for selecting file or folder then pressing delete keyboard button).
That is the reason I stay with double click. I select files a lot and use right-click or key combinations. If I had single click, files would open in a program. For me, not worth it.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:50 am just as GOD intended. :D
You mean "just as Clem intended". :mrgreen:

As for answering the topic, I also played with that setting once, just as lsemmens did and I also found it was a pain in the S. That's probably the only thing that can't compare to the Windows' single click - in Windows the single click selects a file when you hold the cursor without clicking on it while in Linux there's no such a thing as "single click selection". That's why I switched it back to double click and never touched that setting ever again.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I used single click in Windows from when it first became available .. 98SE maybe? .. I really don't see the point of "click to select" on a Desktop as there is no "File" menu to actually do anything with the highlighted item. :? Click it again and it wants you to rename it. Stoopid. Also, it is totally non-intuitive and requires a fairly specific repetition rate, which is quite hard to achieve once you've been using SC for years. It's not a natural action. It also shortens the useful lifetime of your mouse .. or worse, the built-in trackpad buttons, for no good reason ...

Even in a File Manager, such as Dolphin, Nemo, Caja & Thunar, SC is much more practical, as by far the most common desired action is to open something, rather than rename or do anything else with it. If one wants to perform a different action, that is what the other mouse button(s) is/are for. :roll:

One of my mates HATES single-click. I really can not understand why. It defeats the purpose of having a "shortcut" (link). What makes this worse is that it isn't even consistent, in Windows OR Linux. Some elements require a clicklick to launch whereas other links to the same programs require one click, by default, on all but KDE (up to the latest Neon, that is, IIRC). Even in KDE, some actions still require a doubleclick. :x

You can use the mouse to drag a selection rectangle across the items you wish to select .. and in KDE's excellent Dolphin file manager, you can click the + (it toggles - & + on each click), which appears in the corner of an icon when you hover over it. That way, you can individually select multiple items. :mrgreen: In non-KDE DEs you can hold CTRL to select multiple items or SHIFT to select a continuous section of the file listing.

On Touchscreens, where there is a definite advantage to double tap, in order to prevent accidental launches, this hasn't been implemented. But the default for the mouse is still clicklick to get anything done, at least in Windows*. Should be the other way round.

* I haven't used Windows for quite a while so this may have changed.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Two clicks is just as natural an action as one.
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

there was a time when i used doubleclick, didnt even think we'r allowed to choose one click, then my caja got broken or something, i double click yet nothing happens, checked the options & BAM!, i discovered a new way of living...
i dont think one way is better then the other, because obviously the one you get used to will feel better & more natural, one thing though when you're used to one click, other people 's computers become confusing, almost everyone i know double clicks
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

ud6 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 am Anybody use one click to launch software and open files, or tried and abandoned one click? Why?
I use one click, because it is faster and easier to use than double click.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

JerryF wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:46 pm Two clicks is just as natural an action as one.
It's become second nature to you and anyone else who uses / prefers it. However, I ask what would happen if you sit a complete novice in front of a computer & see how intuitive "double-click" is then (without explaining it first) .. or someone who started out with & normally uses touch interfaces rather than mouse + KB.

Also, several people have mentioned one click to highlight, second to open. My question is, once a Desktop icon is highlighted, where's the menu to perform an action? I get that in many of these cases the desired default action is not "Open .." but that only makes sense in a filemanager window where you have action buttons to click on. It still doesn't make sense, at least to me, on the plain Desktop.

At least we all have a choice! :D
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”