Change in auto-refresh in update manager

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Change in auto-refresh in update manager

Post by wpshooter »

Where would I post a request that an enhancement be made to update manager to
the auto-refresh feature which would allow for DIFFERENT auto-refresh
settings be made on the different update LEVELS ?

Linux Mint 19 mate.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Change in auto-refresh in update manager

Post by xenopeek »

If I understand you correctly, that's not technically possible I think. Auto-refresh downloads the repository index—a single file per repository—at set intervals. There's no distinction between update levels within a repository. The levels are something that Update Manager adds when displaying package updates to the user, after downloading all the repository indexes and processing them for updates.

What would be the purpose of this change? What would a significant portion of Linux Mint's users use this for?

With the introduction of Timeshift in 18.3 to recover from problems with upgrades, and users prominently being reminded to set it up in 19's Update Manager, the levels have become less and less relevant.

To answer your question, feature request for a program you should make in the collaboration space of the developers of said program. For Update Manager that is https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate. If you still want to go ahead with posting this feature request please try and make clear how/why Linux Mint's users would use it/benefit from it.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Change in auto-refresh in update manager

Post by wpshooter »

They would use it to delay the display and thus update of critical items such as kernel, so that if
there is a major problem with the kernel, etc. (like there recently was on kernel #24), the delay
would give a lag time for those possible problems to be discovered and corrected before the
larger base of Linux Mint users applied them and possibly broke their installations. And yes, I
know that normally the users could fall back to an older kernel but at least for the #24 problem
that did not work, at least not for me.

I know that that is what timeshift is supposed to be for but my guess is that not many users
are going to use that feature.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”