Are the Mint team aware of this?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
turtlebay

Are the Mint team aware of this?

Post by turtlebay »

https://itsfoss.com/nsas-encryption-alg ... community/

"Linux Kernel 4.17 saw the inclusion of NSA’s ‘controversial’ encryption algorithm Speck. Linux Kernel 4.18 will see Speck being available as a supported algorithm with fscrypt and not everyone is happy about it."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
turtlebay

Re: Are the Mint team aware of this?

Post by turtlebay »

When the moderators move a topic, PLEASE can they message the OP with the new location to save having to trawl through the whole forum?

Personally I would have thought that that was common courtesy but that seems to have no validity on the Mint forums of late!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, turtlebay.

Click on Quick links => Your posts. No searching around needed.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It's no big deal. It can be switched off at kernel compile time and I suspect the vast majority of distros will do just that. It's a lightweight encryption algorithm and is in the kernel specifically fior very low end mobile devices that can't support more mainstream and robust encryption methods.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

turtlebay wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:22 am Personally I would have thought that that was common courtesy but that seems to have no validity on the Mint forums of late!
You're quite right.
Example: Forum rules Section I Subsection 1
Respect the Forum Staff

All of the forum staff are volunteers and offer their free time to keep the forum running smoothly. Any decision made by an administrator or moderator is final and should be respected.
Do not argue with Staff directly in a topic; if you wish to discuss an issue, contact through e-mail or PM (Private Message).
Forum rules Section II Subsection 3
Consider Which Forum Section To Post

Posting to specific sections can make it easier for others to provide assistance and for future searches. For example, if you are having a specific software issue, post to "Software and Applications" section instead of "Newbie Questions".
Forum rules Section II Subsection 4
Use Informative Titles

Use a title that is specific. Do not use titles such as, "HELP ME!!!" or "linuxmint fails". Instead, make titles that define the problem in a clear and concise manner such as, "Kernel Panic: Wifi Intel 3945AGN". A clear title will attract more views to the topic.
Forum rules Section III Subsection 5
Moving Topics / Splitting Topics

Topics may be moved to more appropriate sections when necessary, do not be offended!
Posts may be split from a topic and given their own place where applicable.
It seems common courtesy has gone out the window. :roll:
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

My point was, if it's shifted, why is it too difficult to tell the OP where you've shifted it?

Anyway, no problem, I'm sick of Mint anyway, it's getting too much like MS Windows. Quote " you MUST use Cinnamon now' (LMDE3), and 32bit distros no longer issued despite Debian and other bases keeping them going!
I'm not a rich man and cannot afford a brand new computer every year to keep up with ever more resource-hungry Linux distros that you lot produce.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

So not only do you create work for the volunteers by posting in the wrong section, on top of that you're complaining that they should do even more work by sending you a message about it?

Seeing your post one up I'm glad they didn't waste that time with that.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I honestly don't know where you're getting your information from. Every version, including LMDE, has a 32-bit spin. See Releases.
Last edited by MrEen on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

turtlebay wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:39 pm My point was, if it's shifted, why is it too difficult to tell the OP where you've shifted it?
Why's it too difficult to post in the correct forum to start with? The moderators have a lot to do without sending a load of personal messages to everyone who they have to pick up after.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

turtlebay wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:22 amWhen the moderators move a topic, PLEASE can they message the OP with the new location to save having to trawl through the whole forum?
I rarely pay any attention whatsoever to which section of the forums I'm in, the big exception being, of course, when I'm posting something. I want my posts to be in the forums section most related to whatever I want to post about. But other than that, I just look at the subject lines to see if it's something I might be able to help with, or might learn something from, or whatever. If somebody were to move one of my posts, I probably wouldn't even notice.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

turtlebay wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:39 pm ... and 32bit distros no longer issued despite Debian and other bases keeping them going!
https://linuxmint.com/download.php
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Is this supposed to be a whinge about mods doing their job, or are you seriously concerned about the inclusion of "Speck" in the Linux kernel, turtlebay? As the linked article has said it is unlikely to ever be a major issue with any of the kernels and will unlikely ever get past compile time anyway.
Anyway, no problem, I'm sick of Mint anyway, it's getting too much like MS Windows. you MUST use Cinnamon now' (LMDE3), and 32bit distros no longer issued despite Debian and other bases keeping them going!
I'm not a rich man and cannot afford a brand new computer every year to keep up with ever more resource-hungry Linux distros that you lot produce.
I happen to be running Cinnamon on machines that were new 10 years ago so you argument has little merit. There are certainly other desktop environments that are not as taxing on low end hardware.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

turtlebay wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:39 pm why is it too difficult to tell the OP where you've shifted it?

Why is it too difficult for the OP to click once on his name in the upper right corner and once more on "Display all posts" which will show him the topic he posted? Maybe the OP was raised in a pot and clicking twice is considered "heavy lifting"?

I'm not a rich man either and yet I managed to put together quite a decent computer that can run anything for just $500 which includes the ATX case. It all depends on how you choose the stores you're shopping from.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”