Why So Many Bad Kernels - Compatibility problems between Nvidia driver & kernel

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Why So Many Bad Kernels - Compatibility problems between Nvidia driver & kernel

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 pm

puddleglum wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 am
Interesting that Ubuntu doesn't tell you how to go back. Since Linux Mint 18.3 is already on the 4.15.0 kernel series, that command doesn't help us downgrade to the 4.4 kernel series. Sure, you can manually install the latest 4.4 kernel but you are still going to be getting update notices for 4.15. Anybody have any ideas on how to properly downgrade Linux Mint 18.3 to the 4.4 series?
Your way back from their HWE stack is timeshift basically. You can theoretically do it manually but it would be a bit of a mess. But if you didn't run the commands karlchen gave and just want to downgrade to the 4.4 kernel, then that's simple, Update Manager won't bother you after this:

Code: Select all

apt install linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic

puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why So Many Bad Kernels - Compatibility problems between Nvidia driver & kernel

Post by puddleglum » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Thank you! That is indeed my case. I'll give that a try after taking a snapshot with timeshift.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:01 pm

At the moment I've got Cinnamon 18.3 with nouveau on my main HDD and Cinnamon 19 with nvidia on my spare HDD...still testing 19.

Yesterday I installed the latest Kernel update to both...with no problems. I have a 6 yr old Asus Laptop 64bit that came with Windoze 7...about 18 mths ago I installed Cinnamon 18 on it. As I'm not a Laptop person I've hardly ever used it...the other day I installed Cinnamon 19 and it runs great even though it has integrated Graphics and 4GB of Ram.

The Laptop WiFi works perfectly too...during installation (Cinnamon 19) I was asked to connect to it and when I did...all updates were installed...including the latest Kernel update...did a Re-Boot no black screen...works great. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”