I would LOVE to use LInux Mint but...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ABurro

I would LOVE to use LInux Mint but...

Post by ABurro »

the random freezes are devastating. No matter what I am doing (and it is never cpu or memory intensive), LM 19 just suddenly freezes. no mouse, no keyboard, nothiing. It stays that way until I force the machine off by holding down the power button until the machine shuts off and can be restarted. Anything not saved, is of course lost. The machine is an i3 with 4GB Ram and a 500GB SSD with a fresh install of LM 19. I kept it updated. However, multiple daily random freezes were too much for me and I decided to abandon it for the more stable Unbuntu 18.04. I really like Cinnamon, however and would prefer to use LM. An online search revealed that LM has had freezing issues for years. I If I had the skills to work on this, I'd be in there trying t figure it out. I am so disappointed. Is there any hope?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I would LOVE to use LInux Mint but...

Post by xenopeek »

Confirmation bias and faulty generalization. When you're searching whether other users have had a particular issues you're likely going to find confirmation because people come to the forums to find help with problems—users not having the issue don't make topics about not having the issue. Besides that, it ignores that people use "freezing" to describe a variety of somewhat similar symptoms, which can have widely different causes. Cause of freezing issues is usually interplay between the user's specific hardware components and specific software components' versions (kernel, hardware drivers, graphics stack, desktop environment, themes, extensions and so on).

Unfortunate that Linux Mint 19 wasn't a match for you—and too bad you didn't come here to find help with troubleshooting—but Ubuntu 18.04 is also a good choice. I prefer it with stock Gnome but that's just me. Use whatever works best for you and have fun with it :)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

please incluse some basic info. open terminal type inxi -Fxzd then copy what you see and post it here
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You read the release notes, right?
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is, other than to pop in and just tell people on a LM forun that you're now using Ubuntu. It would probably have been more constructive to ask for a bit of guidance before giving up. Maybe you're right - no hope.

Anyway, just so you don't keep going round in circles here's some search results that might prove helpful should you run into similar problems elsewhere - https://bit.ly/2MOQekS

Edit: Just to add, I have been using LM for a number of years and it has never frozen. That's probably down to hardware/software compatibility but I suspect this is also the case for the vast majority of users. From what I can see, those that do run into probs more often than not find a way round it by enlisting a bit of help if they can't do it themselves. Having said that, I guess there's no prob with distro hopping if that's one's preference. Whatever makes life easy eh?
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

Not as frozen as Windows/MacOS! That's for sure.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

ABurro wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pm #1 until I force the machine off by holding down the power button ....
#2 Is there any hope?
The title of this post makes no sense..."IF" that has been your true experience. Not sure I believe it. Joined just to make one negative post, never to return.
RE #1 good move, windows habit ?
RE #2 Nope.

Using mint (and occasionally other 'nux's) for a few years now I have yet to experience a singe freeze. I don't often shut down either. This computer has run 100+ days without a shut down, while win Vista would be lucky to run 2-3 days without freezing.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Why not try something other than Cinnamon? Maybe MATE, XFCE or LMDE might not freeze up on you. Also, be sure to use the correct 32 or 64 bit version.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

ABurro wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pm the random freezes are devastating. No matter what I am doing (and it is never cpu or memory intensive), LM 19 just suddenly freezes. no mouse, no keyboard, nothiing. It stays that way until I force the machine off by holding down the power button until the machine shuts off and can be restarted. Anything not saved, is of course lost. The machine is an i3 with 4GB Ram and a 500GB SSD with a fresh install of LM 19. I kept it updated. However, multiple daily random freezes were too much for me and I decided to abandon it for the more stable Unbuntu 18.04. I really like Cinnamon, however and would prefer to use LM. An online search revealed that LM has had freezing issues for years. I If I had the skills to work on this, I'd be in there trying t figure it out. I am so disappointed. Is there any hope?
Did you verify the ISO before burning it?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

From time to time, I see topics like this one, or like this, and I'm left wondering if these aren't staged somehow, perhaps as a way to create search results to dissuade people searching for GNU+Linux information from using it. Maybe not; and if I'm wrong, I humbly apologize in advance, but that's the feeling I get from "Linux sucks [or, this distro sucks] and my mind is already made up about it" posts.

If... if... the OP of this post is actually not a "bot" here but really is sincere, it does beg the question, as xenopeek mentioned up-thread, how it would escape the notice of a reasonable person that the severe issues they are experiencing aren't being talked about all over the place. None of the rest of us are having problems running Tara (or, in some cases, 18.x) and if we were, one can rest assured this message board would have become quite the dumpster fire.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

"Don't shy away from criticism, because it's healthy and it makes you better at what you do." LM 19 Tara Mate (for example) was rushed OS. There was lots of errors, troubles.......It is beyond me why they released this version with TOOOO many errors........I'm back to LM 18.3 Sylvia Mate. It is not without design flaws, but is much better than Tara. It looks like Linux people decides to go way,..."we know better". I experienced this attitude applied in Windows. Do not get me wrong, LM is GREAT OS....BUT!!! Sorry for my bad English.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

ABurro wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pmIs there any hope?
No, there isn't. Why not? Because you are unwilling to try. Had you posted here and said, hey I'm having problems with freezes, can anybody help me, then almost certainly other forums users would have helped you find a solution. But you didn't do that, you switched to another distro, and I bet if you google for freezes on Ubuntu, you will find that people have had troubles with freezes on that, too. Also on Windows, all versions, probably all versions of MacOS, BSD, and so on. If at some time you decide you would like to run Mint, come back and ask, people will be glad to help you. Good luck with Ubuntu.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ud6

Post by ud6 »

Doea linux mint have regular issues with freezes? I've never had that problem and used it since it started. Actually 19.0 Tara is so stable and easy for me. Literally nothing has gone wrong or not installed (drivers) properly. I was left thinking.. is that it?

I guess hardware all different so maybe an issue. Surprises me you use a 500gb SSD (expensive) with an i3 (cheap) processor, but doesn't explain freezing, especially when mint is based on Ubuntu and your Ubuntu doesn't freeze (I used mate desktop for quite a while now, so possibly cinnamon os the problem?)

Anyway if Ubuntu works.. cool.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ud6 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:23 pmDoea linux mint have regular issues with freezes? [...] I used mate desktop for quite a while now, so possibly cinnamon os the problem?
If you google "mate freezes" you will find tons of posts as well.

"Freezing" describes the symptom people are experiencing—not the cause. For that you have to dig deeper.

We're going in circles now and OP hasn't been back here so I'm locking this topic. @ABurro, if you do revisit the forum you can PM me to request to unlock the topic if you wish to reply or you can use the exclamation icon in the top right of a post here to request that action from any of the moderators.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”