Will Linux Mint eventually support Arm?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Will Linux Mint eventually support Arm?

Post by catweazel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 am

Non-x86 servers crawl towards mainstream viability

Gigabyte is due to release new Arm server boards.

The significant text in the article is in the last two paragraphs:
Gigabyte doesn’t expect mainstream users will rush to its new products, instead recognizing that telcos, hyperscale operations and high-performance computing users are most likely to be interested in integrating what remains an exotic proposition.

But by adding mainstream tooling, Gigabyte’s also made it possible for mainstream users to at least consider a dalliance. And that may be enough to set the Arm server ecosystem snowballing.
It may well be well off in the distance but is it improbable that we might eventually see an Arm-based Linux Mint?
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Will Linux Mint eventually support Arm?

Post by jimallyn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 am

I suppose it could happen. Mint's two versions are based on Ubuntu and Debian, both of which have an ARM version. I haven't heard any scuttlebutt on it, though, and I would think Mint would likely wait until ARM is better established in the desktop/laptop arena.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:08 am

jimallyn wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 am
I would think Mint would likely wait until ARM is better established in the desktop/laptop arena.
Yes. I think that's a fair assessment.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Faust » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:23 am

catweazel wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 am
It may well be well off in the distance but is it improbable that we might eventually see an Arm-based Linux Mint?
I don't see why not , it seems perfectly feasible .
Debian ( in the form of Raspbian ) runs beautifully on my ARM quad-core Raspberry Pis .

SoC: Broadcom BCM2837
CPU: 4× ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV
RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 (900 MHz)
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 am

Aren't a lot of the newer Chromebooks now running on Arm? Also Windows is moving in that direction. Linux will have to follow to keep up with the newer hardware built for longer battery life.
Thought this article was very interesting:
We tend to think of ARM processors as something you only use when another chip from Intel or AMD isn't an option because they aren't as good. That's wrong on every level. Companies like Google use ARM chips in the servers that power the internet, companies like NVIDIA use ARM chips to process some insanely complicated machine vision and artificial intelligence applications, and on a small scale, things like your wireless router use an ARM chip because it's more power efficient when processing small bursts of data coming very quickly. ARM chips can be just as good or better than traditional X86 CPUs.
https://www.androidcentral.com/why-arm- ... your-phone

Petermint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Petermint » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm

The Raspbian version of Linux is excellent and available for X86 under the name Pixel. It is LMDE based, the main reason I would not use Pixel anywhere I can use LM. Anything heavier than LMDE is too slow on most ARM chips. To keep the power usage low, the graphics chips are too weak for the range of applications I use. They do not handle two monitors. To do desktop type work, you have to buy a top of the range ARM device and they are more expensive than the equivalent speed x86 device.

jeffmcneill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeffmcneill » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:29 am

There is a new class of ARM running things like Chromebooks, for example the ASUS c101pa (a $250 USD base model 4gb/16gb), which has the same baseboard as the Samsung Chromebook Plus. These use a Rockchip Coretex-A72+Cortex-A53 RK3399 6 core 2ghz, with an ARM Mali-T860MP4 graphics processor.

Under ChromeOS this device can already run Chrome Apps, Android Apps, and Linux Apps using Linux Containers. Currently there are still significant limitations for Linux Apps in containers, though there is the Crouton method.

Since ChromeOS is limited in other ways, my guess is that the hardware is sufficient to run LMDE3, and get a better experience. However, this will obviously have to be done by manually putting together a Debian + Cinnamon install, missing out on a more comprehensive, integrated install.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”