I'm BAAAAACK from the dark side...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

I'm BAAAAACK from the dark side...

Post by catweazel »

For the last year or so I've been running KDE Neon, and while it's a lovely presentation of KDE, it isn't without its problems. At 2AM (my time) this morning I took a drive image, archived it, and installed Mint 19 Xfce as my daily driver.

Gee, it's nice. Smooth, rock solid and very fast; 5 seconds in the kernel, and 4 in user space. Some of the themes (styles) don't work properly and there's a dearth of dark styles, but I think that's a small price to pay for this distribution. I like it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ajgringo619

Re: I'm BAAAAACK from the dark side...

Post by ajgringo619 »

And (knock on wood) it seems to handle new kernels/Nvidia drivers very well (the main reason I switched from Cinnamon).
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:20 pm At 2AM (my time) this morning I took a drive image, archived it, and installed Mint 19 Xfce as my daily driver.
So you're BAAAACK from the volcanic eruption, BAAAACK into the forums, and BAAAACK using MInt.
Life is good.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

all41 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 pm
catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:20 pm At 2AM (my time) this morning I took a drive image, archived it, and installed Mint 19 Xfce as my daily driver.
So you're BAAAACK from the volcanic eruption, BAAAACK into the forums, and BAAAACK using MInt.
Life is good.
Not quite. At 2:20 PM I have to go to the dentist. One of my few remaining teeth has to come out. That's why I was awake at 2AM :(

Still, this Mint Xfce is lovely.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Been planning to put 19 XFCE on my computer for some time, just haven't gotten around to it. When I started with Mint 4 years ago, I installed 17 Cinnamon. In the meantime, I have installed XFCE on older, not-so-powerful computers for friends and on my own not-so-powerful laptop, and have grown fond of it. It does all I need, and is easily configured to work the way I like it. Besides, why have the OS/Desktop using up so much RAM and CPU when you can install XFCE and save it all for your applications?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 pm
Life is good.
Not quite. At 2:20 PM I have to go to the dentist. One of my few remaining teeth has to come out. That's why I was awake at 2AM :(
I hate it when that happens. On the up side, if he gives you nitrous your avatar will be fitting.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

all41 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:31 pm
catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 pm
Life is good.
I hate it when that happens. On the up side, if he gives you nitrous your avatar will be fitting.
I don't need nitrous to look like my avatar. Three days without bathing is sufficient :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

actually, it was catweazel that persuaded me to run KDE Neon,
- on my not-so-new 64bit Desktop 8)
and it still is running KDE Neon :mrgreen:

but, this Laptop is now also running LM19 Mate & LM18 Mate.
:D
and so is a few other Laptops. .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:00 pm actually, it was catweazel that persuaded me to run KDE Neon,
I love the minimalist Xfce DE and always thought about trying to use it, even though I really like KDE. As you can see on the right below, I brought some KDE toys with me.

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Officially - The Dark Side is That Other Operating System.
:?
so, that means that catweazel has come back, from the Grey Side, & over to the Enlightened Side. .

:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Pierre wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 pm Officially - The Dark Side is That Other Operating System.
:?
so, that means that catweazel has come back, from the Grey Side, & over to the Enlightened Side. .

:lol:
+1
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ud6

Post by ud6 »

Life is good.
Not to be pedantic, but he said BAAAAACK not BAAAACK (5 a's and not 4)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ud6 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 am Not to be pedantic, but he said BAAAAACK not BAAAACK (5 a's and not 4)
To be pedantic: you are, in fact, being pedantic.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Nonsense?
ud6

Post by ud6 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 amNonsense?
Yes please. And a cup of tea if you happen to have any.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Good idea. Drop by any time and we'll have a cup. :)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

One of my few remaining teeth has to come out.
I've fewer teeth than my granddaughter and she's not yet two :(
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

gm10 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:42 am Good idea. Drop by any time and we'll have a cup. :)
FREE TEA at gm10's place!!!! PARTY!!!! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

ud6 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 am
Life is good.
Not to be pedantic, but he said BAAAAACK not BAAAACK (5 a's and not 4)
Yes but 5 a's sounds rather sheepish.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”