Just say NO to Mint19

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by oldgranola »

catweazel wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 am
rambo919 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:03 am Exactly, it's more secure but potentially completely befuddling in it's extra complexity. One step forward for the tech department and two steps back for marketing.... "improvement" is too subjectively localized or put differently chaotic. If nothing else it appears to be extremely unprofessional/amateurish and makes many not take the OS very seriously. The problem is that the old model of chaos chaos chaos GLORIOUS chaos is antiquated and the two proprietary giants are only in bad repute for their arrogance... Linux in general has grown old enough to stop acting like a emo teenager with delusions of grand superiority.

Honestly it's frustrating because all the potential is locked up in short term thinking and lethargy. Yes Linux is now a good enough in general replacement for PC's and laptops but it's slow development meant it fell down when fast change was needed for capturing the new tablet and smartphone markets... it completely lost to Android which is free and TERRIBLE in many cases (especially some versions) so it cannot even claim to have been up against paid. And probably the biggest problem there was that no one could manage to prod enough devs to convert their x86 apps to arm while android apps (useless as most of them are) sprung up like weeds.
Instead of whining about it, do something about it. Pull the source code and write a better method, move to Windows...
i'm putting heat to some good bud right now as that is the only way I can parse this. Dude, you need to go to Arch Linux and roll your own. You'll then truly be able to "unlock all the potential" and feel the GLORIOUS chaos...Heck, go to kernel.org and go upstream upstream to testing.. I'm actually not kidding. LM is LTS not the latest, its stable, it works, thats the point. But it does advance. We can upgrade. Thats why we like multiple computers or ...partition, multiboot the new and test. fun fun fun!
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

oldgranola wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:00 am Dude, you need to go to Arch Linux and roll your own. You'll then truly be able to "unlock all the potential" and feel the GLORIOUS chaos...Heck, go to kernel.org and go upstream upstream to testing.. I'm actually not kidding. LM is LTS not the latest, its stable, it works, thats the point. But it does advance. We can upgrade. Thats why we like multiple computers or ...partition, multiboot the new and test. fun fun fun!
I roll my own Gentoo with KDE.

NEENER! NEENER!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
freshtamatic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by freshtamatic »

I have tried almost every distro out there. Manjaro Cinnamon and/or Budgie came in second place, LM Cinnamon 19 came in first.
I think a lot of people should be trying other distros (in the real world not in a virtual box) and you'll see why LM is just so amazing.
If you want distro hell, try arch pure, or Gentoo...
a60man

Post by a60man »

I've got limited computer knowledge, my experience with Wine and Mint 19 is not good, still not got it running. No problems with previous iterations of Mint and Wine.

Think I'll give 19 a miss until 19.1. Although to be fair, Mint 19 worked quite well other than this.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

On Mint 19 and Wine 3.0:

I still have not quite figured out why some of you guys get yourself into trouble when installing Wine 3.0 on Mint 19.
My assumption is that you do so because you skip the primary software source, i.e. the official Ubuntu software repos in this case, and mess around with the genuine WineHQ repo instead.

Code: Select all

karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ inxi -Sxxx
System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 wm: muffin 
           dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ wine --version
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)
karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ apt-cache policy wine-stable
wine-stable:
  Installed: 3.0-1ubuntu1
  Candidate: 3.0-1ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 3.0-1ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Believe it or not, the small number of Windows applications, which I still use, all work as on previous Mint releases. :D

On the thread title:
Currently I do not see any serious reason of saying no to Mint 19.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Had issues with both stock and ppa versions.... wine (any version) and mint 19 simply does not mix well atm most likely probably due to the base change.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 am .... wine (any version) and mint 19 simply does not mix well atm
So how do you explain others having it running perfectly fine in Mint 19?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
a60man

Post by a60man »

catweazel wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 am
rambo919 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 am .... wine (any version) and mint 19 simply does not mix well atm
I certainly have not got enough technical knowledge to answer that, however, it's pretty clear to see that quite a few are having trouble, when they didn't with previous issues of Mint.
Last edited by a60man on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

a60man wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 am
I certainly have not got enough technical knowledge to answer that, however, it's pretty clear to see that quite a few are having trouble, when they didn't with previous issues off Mint.
So how did we get from "mint 19 simply does not mix well" to "quite a few are having trouble"? If it were true then the forum would be full of complaints, which it isn't, and don't neglect to consider that you only see posts from people asking for help. You cannot transfer the number of questions into a generic failure of Mint. It is an illogical extrapolation. You don't see too many posts saying "it runs fine" in a support forum because the people who have it working don't need support and have no reason to post here. Furthermore, the majority of issues that we see here are self-inflicted due to a failure to simply read and follow instructions.
a60man

Post by a60man »

catweazel wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:57 am
a60man wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 am

I certainly have not got enough technical knowledge to answer that, however, it's pretty clear to see that quite a few are having trouble, when they didn't with previous issues off Mint.
So how did we get from "mint 19 simply does not mix well" to "quite a few are having trouble"? If it were true then the forum would be full of complaints, which it isn't, and don't neglect to consider that you only see posts from people asking for help. You cannot transfer the number of questions into a generic failure of Mint. It is an illogical extrapolation. You don't see too many posts saying "it runs fine" in a support forum because the people who have it working don't need support and have no reason to post here. Furthermore, the majority of issues that we see here are self-inflicted due to a failure to simply read and follow instructions.
My statement "quite a few are having trouble" was only meant to apply to using Wine in Mint 19, apologies if I did not make that clear. As to Mint 19 otherwise, I found it fine, in fact good. However, one should be able to install Wine just using Software Manager and it working with a graphical interface. I tried installing Wine in all the flavours of Mint 19, and it did not work out of the box with any of them.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

a60man wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:06 am My statement "quite a few are having trouble" was only meant to apply to using Wine in Mint 19, apologies if I did not make that clear.
Again, the problems with wine are due to poorly written instructions at winehq. People seem to go there without even checking the repositories. Many wine problems are due to those shoddy instructions. We get left with cleaning up the mess.
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

IrwinElectronics wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:45 pm I'm sure my anger and frustration should be directed at Ubuntu, but my system is so FUBAR'd at this point I need to blow the whole thing away and load 18.3 clean. Virtually NONE of my applications work in 19. It started with TeamViewer, which was my PRIMARY tool. I own a computer repair business, and TeamViewer was the application I used to remote into customer's computers. I paid hundreds for that, and now I have no more activations. The new version is a lease that you pay for annually, and it still expensive. AnyDesk replaces it, but AnyDesk is not as powerful and is not installed on my customer's equipment.
Then Desktop Sharing (VNC), seriously? Such a simple program to switch between all my local computers on my home network. I don't need the full-blown TeamViewer or AnyDesk for those, but Mint19 refuses to run VNC. DropBox says they're only going to support EXT4 partitions in Linux. Mine was on an NTFS partition for those exceedingly rare occasions I boot Windows. Fine, install a separate 2TB drive. Oh, but the DropBox tray icon doesn't work in Mint19. No way to change the drive. No, I have a small SSD for my OS. You can't put DroipBox in /home. Sure, I could and perhaps should, move my /home folder, but that's a whole nother hassle. Now I'm trying to make several backups before I delete the partition and reload. My Re-Do backup isn't working. I'll burn another CD. No, I won't. K3B doesn't work. Perhaps a BIG part of the problem was attempting to upgrade when the 19 upgrade was first released and FAILED, forcing me to TimeShift back to 18.3. They fixed that, but it was too late for me. The damage was done. NEVER have I had this much trouble upgrading. I'm at the point I'm telling everyone to stay far away from 19 for a long time. I was really looking forward to the auto updates. I only run Linux in my shop and have multiple desktops and laptops. Linux releases updates several times a day, every day. I could do nothing but run to each machine and install the patches all day every day. By the time I finish, something else will be patched. I tried scheduling a cron job to run a script, but no go. The Mint Team looks at auto updates as if it's against Linux.
Time to step down from my soapbox and attempt to make another bare-metal backup (just in case) before I blow away the worst desktop system since Windows ME... come to think of it, ME was better than Mint 19... and load my beloved Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. OH, AND set the update check to weekly. Unless there's a way to import Mint 19's upgrade manager to 18.3? That's really the only feature I was so looking forward to.
True, LM 19 is garbage... hope 19.1 will be better but i think not...sadly
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

vonMos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:21 am True, LM 19 is garbage... hope 19.1 will be better but i think not...sadly
You're going about getting assistance with your OS issues in the wrong way. Bad-mouthing Mint won't get you far. Describing your problem coherently and reporting error messages and systems might get you a bit further.
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

catweazel wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:25 am
vonMos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:21 am True, LM 19 is garbage... hope 19.1 will be better but i think not...sadly
You're going about getting assistance with your OS issues in the wrong way. Bad-mouthing Mint won't get you far. Describing your problem coherently and reporting error messages and systems might get you a bit further.
What assistance, you are not a developer.. you don't write Ubuntu 18.04 or Cinnamon or kernel...YOU HAVE NO POWAAA HERE .. muhahahah :)), now for real.. LM 19 is bad
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

vonMos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:29 am What assistance, you are not a developer..
Oh, but I am a developer. I'm just not a Mint developer.

I'll leave you to your fantasies. Bye.
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

catweazel wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:45 am
vonMos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:29 am What assistance, you are not a developer..
Oh, but I am a developer. I'm just not a Mint developer.

I'll leave you to your fantasies. Bye.
I feel like every developer is a Linux user at some point :))
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hey Folks - - the usual Warning Here:

If You Get Personal OR Political in Your Replies - - then this Whole Thread May get Shut-Down.
:(

You Have Been Warned :!:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
davethewave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davethewave »

I've only been running Mint19 for a few days, but so far I like it. Usually I run Windows 7. There are a few issues I wish I could resolve with Mint but, I'm just not smart enough, like when running a game in VirtualBox windows 7, if the game is windowed mode then it's a black screen, if it's full screen it plays but the running around and stuff is glitchy (buttons stick/don't respond well) and the fact that WINE literally runs nothing (I've never been able to get WINE to work) I think these issues are more to do with those specific packages though and not with MINT it's self. If I didn't want to play windows programs then Mint19 has yet to disappoint me as it does everything else. Being able to run APKs would be cool too but I know that's impossible. :D
gm10

Post by gm10 »

davethewave wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 pm Being able to run APKs would be cool too but I know that's impossible. :D
Says who? See viewtopic.php?f=47&t=278207

As for Wine and games, if you're using Steam they've got their own Wine variant built-in, it's called Steam and does it all for you in the background (after you enable it once in Steam's settings). Doesn't work with everything, certainly nothing with anti-cheat software in it, but for everything else it's completely transparent, you just press play.
davethewave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davethewave »

I tried anbox, But got lost at the kconfig part. I didn't know enough to install it :lol: that's great others can get it to work though! Cool!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”