Just say NO to Mint19

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 913
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by MurphCID » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:24 am

I must give Kudos to both Mint and HP for how painless it was to install the printer (HP Officejet Pro 6978) on my Linux Mint laptop. I did not need to manually do anything! Plug and play.

a60man
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 am

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by a60man » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:31 am

That's excellent, I have had good luck with some printers, however, I put Mint on to an elderly neighbours machine, he was delighted, so fast and easy. However, I could not get his old Brother printer to work. Ended up putting W7 on for him, shame.

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9204
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by Moem » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:38 am

a60man wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:31 am
I put Mint on to an elderly neighbours machine, he was delighted, so fast and easy. However, I could not get his old Brother printer to work.
Somehow I can't find your forum post asking for help with this... :wink:
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

a60man
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 am

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by a60man » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:48 am

Moem wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:38 am
a60man wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:31 am
I put Mint on to an elderly neighbours machine, he was delighted, so fast and easy. However, I could not get his old Brother printer to work.
Somehow I can't find your forum post asking for help with this... :wink:
I didn't ask the forum, perhaps I should have done, I did have a bit of a search on this, and tried CUPS.org. The printer was recognised, but wouldn't print.

The elderly guy needed to use the printer, so a spare drive with W7 was fitted to get him going. I still have the drive with Mint on it, could be used at a later date.

tenfoot
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:12 am
Location: Waipapa, Bay of Islands, New Zealand

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by tenfoot » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm rather surprised this subject has lived so long, as the OP hasn't responded since his original post, way back in Sept 2018 :roll:
tenfoot
Death does not send a letter giving three week' notice. It arrives when you are eating raspberry sweets (Lars Mytting - The Sixteen Trees on the Somme)

User avatar
BG405
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1858
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:09 pm
Location: England

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by BG405 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm

tenfoot wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
I'm rather surprised this subject has lived so long
Me too. So far, a one-post-wonder .. although he did say he's reverting to Mint 18.3 which is better than what's indicated in some similar such posts, at least. :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 4GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

User avatar
jimthedj65
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 am

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by jimthedj65 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Just newly converted to Mint 19.1 and it's running all my media as smooth as silk. I did try to upgrade from 17 to 19 and gave up.

a60man
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 am

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by a60man » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:16 am

jimthedj65 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:55 pm
Just newly converted to Mint 19.1 and it's running all my media as smooth as silk. I did try to upgrade from 17 to 19 and gave up.
I tried the upgrade route, and it worked.

User avatar
jimthedj65
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 am

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by jimthedj65 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 pm

a60man wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:16 am
jimthedj65 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:55 pm
Just newly converted to Mint 19.1 and it's running all my media as smooth as silk. I did try to upgrade from 17 to 19 and gave up.
I tried the upgrade route, and it worked.
Congrats on the upgrade. So many variables with hardware. Glad it worked out for you.

User avatar
majpooper
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by majpooper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 pm

jimthedj65 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 pm
a60man wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:16 am
jimthedj65 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:55 pm
Just newly converted to Mint 19.1 and it's running all my media as smooth as silk. I did try to upgrade from 17 to 19 and gave up.
I tried the upgrade route, and it worked.
Congrats on the upgrade. So many variables with hardware. Glad it worked out for you.
Same here - I have never had an upgrade work between even consecutive versions - going from 17 to 19 has to be a bit tricky. I guess you theoretically could go from 17>18>19. That said I have upgrade within a version with no trouble.

frankt
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by frankt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:02 pm

When Mint 19.1 was released I created a DVD to install it. The installation went fine, no problems. But just about everything after the installation made me glad I didn't replace or delete my Mint 18.3 installation on my hard drive. I have now deleted Mint 19.1 and hope that the issues with this release may get corrected before the end of life for Mint 18.3.

User avatar
majpooper
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by majpooper » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Just curious - what went wrong?
I tested 19 with a live DVD just to poke around and all seemed OK.
I then loaded it on my wife's PC (fresh install from 18.3) while she was out of town (I know BIG risk) but she has been on it fro quite a while now with no complaints.

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 913
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by MurphCID » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:37 am

Yeah, I did the same. and it worked great on a clean installation.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”