Just say NO to Mint19

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by Portreve »

BTW, look at what happened when a couple of guys in Houston tried to install Linux Mint 19!

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone »

I have also had some problems. I started a thread here about them and it magically disappeared overnight which is suspect (checked my thread history in case I just couldn't find it) so I stopped coming here.

Mainly the problems are that the default apps don't work, opening pictures for example no longer works and the app doesn't run, so I had to uninstall it and replace it with kolourpaint. Then the same happened with text documents.

I used notepad.exe a lot on windows and the linux mint equivalent won't start up. I replaced it with Gedit but this doesn't work either. So to write notes I have to use Libreoffice. Which is quite ridiculous. The wierd part is that some days it does work and other days it doesn't, yet nothing has changed in the system.

Also sometimes it takes 8 minutes for the system to shut down.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

thesmileyone wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 am I have also had some problems. I started a thread here about them and it magically disappeared overnight which is suspect (checked my thread history in case I just couldn't find it) so I stopped coming here.

Mainly the problems are that the default apps don't work, opening pictures for example no longer works and the app doesn't run, so I had to uninstall it and replace it with kolourpaint. Then the same happened with text documents.

I used notepad.exe a lot on windows and the linux mint equivalent won't start up. I replaced it with Gedit but this doesn't work either. So to write notes I have to use Libreoffice. Which is quite ridiculous. The wierd part is that some days it does work and other days it doesn't, yet nothing has changed in the system.

Also sometimes it takes 8 minutes for the system to shut down.
Looks like a borked system to me.... Consider a clean installation.

And after such a clean installation, avoid these fatal mistakes:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... almistakes
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone »

Pjotr, I followed your website to a tee for both Mint and Xubuntu around a year ago, thanks!

But I don't think I did anything wrong at my end. It just doesn't work sometimes.

Some kinda "unknown application" tries to stop the computer shutting down. Google lists tons of people with the same problem on Mint.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's quite obvious the OP completely frakked up their system, expects others to actually read their unreadable unpunctuated rant blaming the distro, and should probably use Windows.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

A simple post asking about upgrading versions or just searching the forum would have revealed that its not the recommended way to go.

I run my own business with many residential customers that I have setup with Linux Mint. They are all running 18.3 . Since they are quite happy there is no reason to upgrade to 19. What was yours?

I also setup and administer servers with CentOS. I would have to be very lacking to think that I can just upgrade version levels in a production environment without testing and not have any issues.

My daily driver is Mint 18.3 . I use Teamviewer and have many clients that I take care of remotely via teamviewer. I really have not had any issues that you are talking about. Therefore, I have to assume you dug your own hole. So, My advice is to backup your home directory and reinstall fresh with 18.3 and wait for a minor release of Mint to be available.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

coffee412 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:33 am
I run my own business with many residential customers that I have setup with Linux Mint. They are all running 18.3 . Since they are quite happy there is no reason to upgrade to 19. What was yours?
Yes upgrade for a reason, and I believe that comes straight from the mouth of Clem himself.

I still use mint 18.0 mate, am completely happy with it, therefore no reason to upgrade. That said I did make a persistent stick with mint 19 mate which I have set up compiz to my liking, added a few programs, my retro games, adjusted themes etc. So far no problems. Tested and ready to deploy when the NEED arrives.

I also made a persistent stick with mint 19 cinnamon V2. Never tried cinnamon before and thought I give it a try this time. The experience was not as smooth as mate. Cinnamon took 2:45 to boot, then could not launch a terminal either by clicking on the icon or CTRL ALT T. So I aborted. No big deal I like mate.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Portreve wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:53 pm
majpooper wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:54 pm Four big red flags here from a "computer professional."
1.) The upgrade deal - I don't know anyone who has been around linux Mint for any length of time that doesn't think that is a bad idea.
2.) Going to a new version in a commercial environment before and adequate soak to wring out bugs etc. - I have had the opportunity to talk to several IT professionals and they all have told me the same thing - established organizations typically do not go to new versions for sometimes as long as a year. Based on their advice I am still installing 18.3 for folks that ask for my help installing linux mint.
3.) Who runs around updating their PC more than once a day, if that? Why would anyone think that even necessary, especially some who does computer support for a living?
4.) This a maybe but is not clear in the hard to read post but even wannabe computer professionals "test" new OS versions before installing them on production machines
I went to work for Sony Electronics in their call center in 2001, and all the workstations were running Windows 95. Memory fragmentation was a real problem, and invariably we had to reboot 2-3 times a day.

The company I work for now upgraded from WinXP last year.

Where is this "1 year" company of which you speak? :lol:
I am no IT expert and do not try and present myself as such - not even close. I was speaking of no specific company just the impression I got from talking to IT professionals in a social setting. Never the less the point I was trying to make was that as you so aptly point out with your own experience is that organizations often wait a pretty long period of time before upgrading to new versions of software to include OS upgrades. So if a year sounds way to soon then I defer to your experience. However the point remains the same - WAIT until a new version has been in the field for a while and rung out.

I will add, as a hobbyist and nothing more, that if you company just upgraded from XP long after it went out of support then that does not seem prudent either - cheap maybe . . . I really can't say but that is what occurs to me - again I admit I am way out of my depth.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I will add, as a hobbyist and nothing more, that if you company just upgraded from XP long after it went out of support then that does not seem prudent either - cheap maybe . . . I really can't say but that is what occurs to me - again I admit I am way out of my depth.
I think your right on target there. I understand not upgrading for a while is prudent. However, Win7 is quickly approaching end of support (pro) and they are still on xp. The only thought is that some third party software possibly doesnt like Win7 and they stuck with xp. Other than that I think they should have upgraded long ago.
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

majpooper wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:52 pmI will add, as a hobbyist and nothing more, that if you company just upgraded from XP long after it went out of support then that does not seem prudent either - cheap maybe . . .
Oh, that's not the half of it. :wink:
I really can't say but that is what occurs to me - again I admit I am way out of my depth.
You're likely less off base than you think.

Without mentioning names or specifics, the company I work for was running a certain suite of vertical market software which had been built for Windows XP and, like a lot of other win32 stuff, wasn't written as cleanly or as to best practices as it probably should have been, and so there was no migrating it to Windows 7, or 8, or 8.1. So, the exec over our technology and IT side decided to get a different system which would in one fell swoop replace several programs running on our deployed desktops. Simultaneously, all deployed systems had a new Win8.1 image crafted, along with deploying newer computers.

In order to make it seem like we were saving money on the deal, he elected not to get a company license for MS Office, opting instead for an outdated though workable (that is, 4.x) version of LibreOffice. We also needed new handheld scanners, registers, etc.

The rollout and subsequent updates have been a never-ending pain. Every update further complicates matters, introduces more bugs, and has killed the @#$& out of our productivity. It's become such a mess that nobody in the chain of command wants to hear about it, and everyone in a position of authority points the finger of responsibility at someone else — interestingly, never any person or department over which *they* have authority — and so we're just left to our own devices. The help desk organization we have contracted with is only minimally briefed on any of this, with most techs seemingly left to stumble through basic troubleshooting procedures and a modicum of specialized knowledge to try and solve issue after issue.

Every division seems to operate in complete isolation from each other, and each layer tries not to push for too much, as near as I'm able to tell because nobody wants to either rock the boat or appear to be rocking it.

Anyhow, getting back to the point of this thread (or some semblance of it) I wish our company had legitimate credible IT folk from the executive level down and had, in fact, switched to some distro of GNU+Linux and paid competent and experienced folk to write this software themselves for this ecosystem. It's a virtual certainty we've already spent as much on the cleanup of the new company-wide setup as we did with the software itself, and it still has lots of unresolved problems.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone »

rickNS wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:35 pm then could not launch a terminal either by clicking on the icon or CTRL ALT T. So I aborted. No big deal I like mate.
This is what I mean. I am running Cinnamon V2 19 and CTRL ALT T loads a terminal. There's no reason yours shouldn't. And yet it does not.

I don't understand how one ISO image can have so many silly different problems for so many different people.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I get a terminal when I hit <control> <alt> <T> and Im running Mint Mate 18.3

I never use it though. I just click on menu/terminal or on my desktop.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am a kybd shortcut type guy.

cntl-alt-t is the most often used method for me to get to Terminal.
and so far, knock knock, it has worked in every flavor of Mint that I have tried, and that is most of them.

LM19 - my most UnFavorite of all the Mint versions. I replaced it on my daily driver PC after about two weeks with LMDE3-Cindy of which, she has managed to stay there for over two months now.... learning to like her a bit more all the time.

but, 18.3 Cindy is my Daily Driver 99% of the time.
18.3 and LMDE3 are dual boot on my laptop, so Grub menu shows on every bootup.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 am I am a kybd shortcut type guy.
Me too!
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 am ...
I think you mean mean 18.3 Tara? :wink:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

JerryF wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:16 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 am I am a kybd shortcut type guy.
Me too!
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 am ...

I think you mean mean 18.3 Tara? :wink:

I was being tongue in cheek, and you caught it..... it is 18.3 "Cinnamon" of course :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JSmith925

Post by JSmith925 »

There is certainly a great deal of hostility here and perhaps a bit of Mint fanaticism. I can validate Irwin Electronics' frustration. While I am new to Linux, I have been an I.T. consultant in the Windows space for nearly 20 years and I am not afraid to take on new technologies. That being said, there do seem to be a number of bugs in the GUI of 19. One example is the disk utility, which merely gives me a time icon and then fails when I click on it.

Have others encountered such problems. If you are a Mint zealot bent on defending the OS, please refrain from commenting. I am interested in insights and answers; not verbal jousting.

JSmith
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JSmith925 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:04 pm There is certainly a great deal of hostility here and perhaps a bit of Mint fanaticism. I can validate Irwin Electronics' frustration. While I am new to Linux, I have been an I.T. consultant in the Windows space for nearly 20 years and I am not afraid to take on new technologies. That being said, there do seem to be a number of bugs in the GUI of 19. One example is the disk utility, which merely gives me a time icon and then fails when I click on it.
It's odd that you would reference frustration given that you haven't asked for assistance with the problem.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

JSmith925 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:04 pm One example is the disk utility, which merely gives me a time icon and then fails when I click on it.
Probably best to open a new forum thread with a request for support with this issue - include the output of inxi -Fxz and any output from attempting to launch disks from the terminal via the command gnome-disks in your first post. It's not a general bug i've come across in my use or that i've spotted in forum threads.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JSmith925 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:04 pm There is certainly a great deal of hostility here
I am certainly not seeing it. Apparently, our definitions of 'hostility' differ. I see that an angry, frustrated rant was mostly responded to with a good deal of restraint. It's never nice to hear 'Hey, that thing that you love? I hate it! It sucks! No one should be using it!' And it's not terribly productive, either.

I would not be surprised if there were genuine, reproduceable bugs in the current iteration of the interface of Mint 19; there most likely are. I don't think anyone here will deny that. Personally I'm waiting for Mint 19.1 to make the switch.

If someone is having trouble with any OS, they should come forward and ask questions... not stumble around in the dark until they stub their toe and break out in a frustrated stream of ranting.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Moem wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:04 am It's never nice to hear 'Hey, that thing that you love? I hate it! It sucks! No one should be using it!' And it's not terribly productive, either.
I agree. This probably applies to Windows bashing as well, something a newcomer may resent
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”