Just say NO to Mint19

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IrwinElectronics

Just say NO to Mint19

Post by IrwinElectronics »

I'm sure my anger and frustration should be directed at Ubuntu, but my system is so FUBAR'd at this point I need to blow the whole thing away and load 18.3 clean. Virtually NONE of my applications work in 19. It started with TeamViewer, which was my PRIMARY tool. I own a computer repair business, and TeamViewer was the application I used to remote into customer's computers. I paid hundreds for that, and now I have no more activations. The new version is a lease that you pay for annually, and it still expensive. AnyDesk replaces it, but AnyDesk is not as powerful and is not installed on my customer's equipment.
Then Desktop Sharing (VNC), seriously? Such a simple program to switch between all my local computers on my home network. I don't need the full-blown TeamViewer or AnyDesk for those, but Mint19 refuses to run VNC. DropBox says they're only going to support EXT4 partitions in Linux. Mine was on an NTFS partition for those exceedingly rare occasions I boot Windows. Fine, install a separate 2TB drive. Oh, but the DropBox tray icon doesn't work in Mint19. No way to change the drive. No, I have a small SSD for my OS. You can't put DroipBox in /home. Sure, I could and perhaps should, move my /home folder, but that's a whole nother hassle. Now I'm trying to make several backups before I delete the partition and reload. My Re-Do backup isn't working. I'll burn another CD. No, I won't. K3B doesn't work. Perhaps a BIG part of the problem was attempting to upgrade when the 19 upgrade was first released and FAILED, forcing me to TimeShift back to 18.3. They fixed that, but it was too late for me. The damage was done. NEVER have I had this much trouble upgrading. I'm at the point I'm telling everyone to stay far away from 19 for a long time. I was really looking forward to the auto updates. I only run Linux in my shop and have multiple desktops and laptops. Linux releases updates several times a day, every day. I could do nothing but run to each machine and install the patches all day every day. By the time I finish, something else will be patched. I tried scheduling a cron job to run a script, but no go. The Mint Team looks at auto updates as if it's against Linux.
Time to step down from my soapbox and attempt to make another bare-metal backup (just in case) before I blow away the worst desktop system since Windows ME... come to think of it, ME was better than Mint 19... and load my beloved Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. OH, AND set the update check to weekly. Unless there's a way to import Mint 19's upgrade manager to 18.3? That's really the only feature I was so looking forward to.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Just say NO to Mint19

Post by sdibaja »

Linux Mint needs some Beta Testing.
they have a small group of developers, and apparently not many resources.
Beta Testing and Bug Reporting would go a long way in recouping the respect Mint once had...

sorry for your frustration.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

"ME is better than Mint 19" - really??? I can understand that you're angry, but it's hard to take anyone seriously when they make statements like that. I see that this is your first post - you're either a troll or too proud to ask for help. If you do decide to ask for help...well, guess that's up to.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I own 4 computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). I use 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce on all 4 computes. Mint 19 works great on all of my 4 computers.

I also use linux Teamviewer with all of my 4 computers. TV works without any problems for me. Easy to download from the TV site and after it is installed, I get the updates to TV through the Update Manager.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

Early adoption is always problematic. I know many will disagree, but it is always a safer bet to wait for the first update on the new version of any OS before jumping into upgrade mode. With Windows, you always waited for the SP1. For Linux Mint, you always wait for the .1+. Just my personal experiences, hope you get it worked out.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I never had any problems with Mint, whether I was on x.0, x.1, x.2, or x.3.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

My biggest with Mint wasn't even a true "Mint" problem; the combination of Nvidia drivers, Cinnamon, and kernel updates killed my system in Mint 18.3, Fedora 27/28, and OpenSuse LEAP. Since I switched to Mint 19 XFCE, my system seems blessed.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

From following the forums for quite a while, I think the title should instead read:

"Just say NO to inplace version upgrades"

. . browse the forums . . nothing but problems from users who attempt this. When they finally, out of frustration, perform a fresh install of the new version, we don't hear from them anymore . . c r i c k e t s . . :shock:
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

IrwinElectronics wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:45 pm I'm sure my anger and frustration should be directed at Ubuntu
No. Buy a punching bag. Or kick a dent in your car.

As said: do a clean installation of Mint 19. Then, if you still have any problems, ask for help here. If you ask politely, I'm sure our volunteers here will be glad to try to help you.

And don't ever abuse this forum for venting anymore. We're no garbage can for ignorant rants.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

good eye Pjotr
I did not see the "upgrade to M19" in all of that word soup.
Yup, user error... kinda

... perhaps that "upgrade path" should not be touted so much.
every darn release people are clamoring for a "button to push" and is seldom seems to work, if ever. Just say No.
the effort would be better spent training people how to do a simple install, after they are taught "basic Off Machine Backup"

(yes, he is rude as hell)
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

darn,

I had to reread to find 'upgrade' and it is not there.

then I let Firefox control-F look for it, and yes, it is in the middle of all of that unformatted one sentence diatribe.

a long rant like that is likely to get you kicked off the forum sir....

so, use Macrium Reflect with the Options turned on to build you a full blown disk image utility.
it will boot on any PC regardless of OS, and make reusable clone images.

I too tried ReDo and it worked for 1 time....
then it refused to load up again, and let me recover the image.... in a test.

so, I went back to my old Win7 PC and built up a new Macrium Reflect Recovery DVD and let it include all of the options for all OS versions. a fantastic tool to have.

FWIW,
I use TeamViewer on a lot of PCs to maintain them.... and TM13 works just fine, thank you, on an PC that I have loaded it onto.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

IrwinElectronics wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:45 pm OH, AND
You've not asked for assistance with any of those issues before blowing your frustration all over the place. If you don't ask, they won't get solved.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

To be fair to the OP he's right that getting VNC up and running on Mint 19 is a royal pain in the butt compared with previous versions due to the Gnome devs efforts to cripple Vino outside of Gnome3 and Bionic shipping a buggy version of the alternative x11vnc. But there are solutions to both issues should he/she care to do a quick forum search or ask for assistance.

Don't understand the teamviewer part of the rant, the dropbox changes will apply across the board irrespective of distro IIUC and for all it's faults the default Brasero is working just fine for CD and DVD authoring here on Mint 19.

Re setting up automated updating via cron this is not hard once you know how so a quick forum search or a request for assistance and I'm sure we'd be happy to help.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

IrwinElectronics wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:45 pm ... Perhaps a BIG part of the problem was attempting to upgrade when the 19 upgrade was first released and FAILED, forcing me to TimeShift back to 18.3...
Yep, agree with richyrich and others that upgrade rather than fresh install is problem. I ALWAYS do a fresh install. Indeed I've decided to go for home partition so that I can do fresh install without changing home. Dropbox works fine for me. Don't understand problem with update manager (I don't do it routinely, I just update when I can be bothered, which is around once a month). Doesn't dropbox default to home folder? Didn't have problem with icon either.

Sorry to hear of these problems. I feel truly blessed with mint 19 and first time I can say I've had no problems at all (ok, timeshift messed with me, but that's a software design problem). Please, if feasible, backup and try fresh install and see if better before going back to 18.3.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I think the ME reference was an attempt to get a reaction as it is the ONLY OS that has lasted less than 15 minutes on any of my computers. I usually give a new OS a few days to test them out. NOW, BOT. If you choose to ask nicely, there are many knowledgeable and helpful members here who have solved this issue, and would gladly provide you with any assistance.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Four big red flags here from a "computer professional."
1.) The upgrade deal - I don't know anyone who has been around linux Mint for any length of time that doesn't think that is a bad idea.
2.) Going to a new version in a commercial environment before and adequate soak to wring out bugs etc. - I have had the opportunity to talk to several IT professionals and they all have told me the same thing - established organizations typically do not go to new versions for sometimes as long as a year. Based on their advice I am still installing 18.3 for folks that ask for my help installing linux mint.
3.) Who runs around updating their PC more than once a day, if that? Why would anyone think that even necessary, especially some who does computer support for a living?
4.) This a maybe but is not clear in the hard to read post but even wannabe computer professionals "test" new OS versions before installing them on production machines
VoxelMints

Post by VoxelMints »

Wow I wonder if other Linux forums are seeing similar posts like this. Valve's proton must have users dropping Windcows like crazy.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

And don't ever abuse this forum for venting anymore. We're no garbage can for ignorant rants.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

majpooper wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:54 pm Four big red flags here from a "computer professional."
1.) The upgrade deal - I don't know anyone who has been around linux Mint for any length of time that doesn't think that is a bad idea.
2.) Going to a new version in a commercial environment before and adequate soak to wring out bugs etc. - I have had the opportunity to talk to several IT professionals and they all have told me the same thing - established organizations typically do not go to new versions for sometimes as long as a year. Based on their advice I am still installing 18.3 for folks that ask for my help installing linux mint.
3.) Who runs around updating their PC more than once a day, if that? Why would anyone think that even necessary, especially some who does computer support for a living?
4.) This a maybe but is not clear in the hard to read post but even wannabe computer professionals "test" new OS versions before installing them on production machines
Agree on all points. In fact, everything you said should be applied to ALL operating systems.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

majpooper wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:54 pm Four big red flags here from a "computer professional."
I went to work for Sony Electronics in their call center in 2001, and all the workstations were running Windows 95. Memory fragmentation was a real problem, and invariably we had to reboot 2-3 times a day.

The company I work for now upgraded from WinXP last year.

Where is this "1 year" company of which you speak? :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”