Mint is like the cigarettes and should come with a warning

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Mint is like the cigarettes and should come with a warning

Post by Valsodar »

I've never thought in my life I'd reach a point where I will not wanna hear about Windows anymore, let alone going back it. But that day came quite recently. I don't know about yourselves, but I think I became a Mint addict. Therefore I think Mint (and Linux in general) should come with a warning on the box/disk about one's health, similar to the cigarettes' warnings:

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint is like the cigarettes and should come with a warning

Post by HaveaMint »

LOL, cute pic, I agree Mint is addicting. I'm running it on three PC's now and love it. My biggest problem is fighting the desire to upgrade to newer versions of it.
I run 18.3 XFCE on all three and there isn't any reason to upgrade until EOL is reached.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Love it, and will pass it along to my other friends.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:38 pm Love it, and will pass it along to my other friends.
Huh? You have friends?

<runs away>

:mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ToneLa

Post by ToneLa »

Haha, I've only had it like, a week, but I'm starting to think at random "huh, I have Mint running on my laptop, I fancy a play!"

I work in IT support, so usually the idea of playing with more tech in my downtime has some ulterior motive like "I gotta learn this, so I'll run it at home". But no, it's just something new, I keep coming back to it for pleasure.

It's really given me perspective, it's nice just having a modern OS that does what I ask. It couldn't be more simple than that. Nothing hangs, crashes, if I want to do something, I usually can. the OS doesn't get in the way, at least. So far I have the impression it has been designed to actually help me accomplish what I need or want to!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'd love to print that on my recovery CDs..... problem is, I don't use CDs any more! It won't fit on a memory stick.....:D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:59 am I'd love to print that on my recovery CDs..... problem is, I don't use CDs any more! It won't fit on a memory stick.....:D
Actually, it will, you just won't be able to read the small fonts :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:59 am I'd love to print that on my recovery CDs..... problem is, I don't use CDs any more! It won't fit on a memory stick.....:D
If you know how to edit the wallpaper of the live environment, you can place that inscription on it with huge bright characters, so that it's first thing the user will see when the live env starts. ;)
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The comparison doesn't hold up. Linux Mint isn't a cause for at least a dozen types of cancer like cigarettes. Nor does it cost hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars a year to use. It's quite the opposite. Linux Mint is more like quitting smoking.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:09 pm The comparison doesn't hold up. Linux Mint isn't a cause for at least a dozen types of cancer like cigarettes. Nor does it cost hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars a year to use. It's quite the opposite. Linux Mint is more like quitting smoking.
Clearly you don't get the joke (sort of). Once you start using it, you always keep coming back to it - just like any cigarette addict would do brand hopping but eventually would return to their favorite brand of cigarettes. ;)
Besides, the joke wasn't intended to insult Mint. Quite the opposite, actually. It was meant to say Mint is so good that you can get addicted to it. :)
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Valsodar wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:12 pm
xenopeek wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:09 pm The comparison doesn't hold up. Linux Mint isn't a cause for at least a dozen types of cancer like cigarettes. Nor does it cost hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars a year to use. It's quite the opposite. Linux Mint is more like quitting smoking.
Clearly you don't get the joke (sort of). Once you start using it, you always keep coming back to it - just like any cigarette addict would do brand hopping but eventually would return to their favorite brand of cigarettes. ;)
Besides, the joke wasn't intended to insult Mint. Quite the opposite, actually. It was meant to say Mint is so good that you can get addicted to it. :)
I think most of us got it for what you intended - I guess X is making the analogy quitting Windows and going over to linux maybe like quitting smoking which is clever as well. Anyway I agree with your sentiment, I have been away from Windows for so long that when friends and family ask for my help on their Windows PC I have to decline, not because I don't want to help, rather because I am helplessly lost on a Windows system.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

When I quit smoking I was a nervous wreck ready to kill anything in my path. I am afraid I will have to disagree with you on this one.
More like a cold beer on a hot afternoon or a really fine wine after your favorite meal.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Mint is indeed addictive. It's such a pleasure to use, probably more so having spent years fighting Windows trying to get it to do what I wanted it to. Mint just works!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”