How to upgrade Cinnamon 3.67 to 3.8

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Leloup
Level 4
Level 4

How to upgrade Cinnamon 3.67 to 3.8

Post by Leloup »

Bonjour,

The operation System is Linux Mint 18.3. I should like upgrading the Cinnamon release from 3.67 to 3.8.
I downloaded the Cinnamon-3.8.0.tar.gz but I am not what do, now. Maybe, there are a better way.
How I can proceed? :roll:

Regards,

Leloup
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to upgrade Cinnamon 3.67 to 3.8

Post by catweazel »

Leloup wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:59 am How I can proceed? :roll:
If your machine isn't a dinosaur you can move to Mint 19.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Leloup
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Leloup »

Bonjour catweazel,

You are right. However how can I proceed?
Do you suggest a procedure like that https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3462 In the past, I did practice from 18.1 to 18.3 but this was not without some problem. :( I don't remember well but maybe you think to a better way? :roll:

Regards,

LeLoup
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Leloup wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:17 am Bonjour catweazel,

You are right. However how can I proceed?
Do you suggest a procedure like that https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3462 In the past, I did practice from 18.1 to 18.3 but this was not without some problem. :( I don't remember well but maybe you think to a better way? :roll:
Those instructions are to upgrade to 18.3 only. You're far better off to backup your treasured stuff and clean install.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Leloup
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Leloup »

otherwise said, you will suggest to resume a installation from scratch...is that what you're proposing?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Leloup wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 am otherwise said, you will suggest to resume a installation from scratch...is that what you're proposing?
Yes.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

The pertinent blog post for an in-place upgrade is https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615.

A clean install is always the safest option, and always the one I pick, if slightly less convenient. You can just try both though - if your in-place upgrade goes through without problems then just stick with it. Otherwise do a clean install afterwards. We've got slightly jaded views here since the users we see post are only those having problems after an in-place upgrade, but that does not mean that it cannot work flawlessly. ;)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's quite true that doing a major point release update (like 18.3 to 19) via a backup and clean reinstall is a much better idea than a web upgrade.

However, the reason why is rarely mentioned. It's because the web update process is just not reliable enough for a major update, in both Mint and its Ubuntu base.

This is why I wish the default Mint and Ubuntu installation creates a separate /home partition by default like Debian does. It makes this sort of thing SO much easier.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:11 am This is why I wish the default Mint and Ubuntu installation creates a separate /home partition by default like Debian does. It makes this sort of thing SO much easier.
Well, they don't do it because they say to just use the upgrade path. But I agree it would be nice if ubiquity offered a checkbox for this at least.

You can emulate the effects though and do a clean install without losing /home despite the lack of a separate partition: Simply delete everything on the disk yourself (from the live USB) except for the /home folder, then install using the Something else option and make sure not to format / root.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”