how to make the best linux mint builds

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintman2

how to make the best linux mint builds

Post by mintman2 »

ok guys n gals I'm new to this but want to move away from windows and now become a guru at Linux..
comments please from people with know how

(my vision is for people to build and share custom builds of Linux mint) and share as proud creators to the community

How would I go about building a live mint usb with all the trimmings (vlc media player) a working free vpn and tor browser as a start
this will be build number on called anomint who can help please
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how to make the best linux mint builds

Post by HaveaMint »

This may be best posted in Chat about linux Mint.
Last edited by Pierre on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It Is Now in Chat ..
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Since you're new to this... maybe start off by using the OS for a while. Then you can learn how it works, and also see what you like and don't like about it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Please see this post re your obligations if distributing i.e. sharing modified ISOs based on Mint

viewtopic.php?p=1442308#p1442308
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Linux Mint is already greatness! No modification necessary.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

At some point you will learn that Linux gurus have no interest in what you described doing. One thing real programmers believe it's that there's no point reinventing the wheel.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Seems a rather grandiose notion. Considering all the choice in linux, the multiple desktops, thousands of packages, plus widgets, launchers, themes, etc. Pretty much everyone will add some software packages, some will remove some, that doesn’t really make us “creators”. Furthermore there can’t be a one is best. The mint team in their wisdom produce 4 different ISOs because one is not best for everyone.

OK that said, and no offence there are tools to do exactly what you want, to create customs ISOs.
Here are some of them,
https://www.maketecheasier.com/6-tools- ... ux-distro/

I do see the value in a custom install, (for personal) for a quicker re-install, should one ever be needed, or like me you have a second (or 3rd) computer that I can quickly duplicate. Its like having a good back up , before you even install.

Personally I do it an easier, faster, only need one USB stick to do it way. Create a USB install stick with persistence, I’ll add / remove packages, add some old games, config compiz, set theme. maybe fancy launchers (if you like them) etc., etc.

Still using mint 18.0., but my mint 19 stick is ready to go.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
ud6

Post by ud6 »

I like the customisation tools mentioned, though they don't look to be based on mint and seem quite long winded and requiring you to do it again if new kernel/base distro is released. I think I mentioned somewhere before, but what I'd like is to be able to make the choices of DE, software as well as other options (eg seperate home drive) etc. It then gives you a 'build code' which describes your system choices, and you download an iso specific to that 'build code'. Advantage of this is that it is tailored to you, but next time you want to download new release, or if you want to tell your friends, or you are wanting a standard ISO for an office, they can download the exact same ISO without having to spend time tweaking it (or at least so much time)... a bit like the way you can build your own PC online before ordering it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”