Curious - When Does Nemo 4.0 Make it to Mint 19?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Curious - When Does Nemo 4.0 Make it to Mint 19?

Post by felemur »

I'm just wondering if this will be part of the updates, or how that works.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Curious - When Does Nemo 4.0 Make it to Mint 19?

Post by Mick-Cork »

Hi Felemur,

if i'm understanding Clem's latest blog article correctly, looks like it surfaces in 19.1?

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3644
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

That blog talks about a lot of different S/W development efforts and results, but says nothing about when they will become part of LM.

I'm relatively new to LM (the age of my forum membership not withstanding - I've been distro-hopping and have finally settled on LM) so I don't understand/know what the content of Clem's blog really means.

Maybe someone with a better understanding of the process will chime in and provide some context and meaning to the content of the blog.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Mick-Cork wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:55 am if i'm understanding Clem's latest blog article correctly, looks like it surfaces in 19.1?
Adding some weight to this. While the blog does not mention 19.1, that's what those changes are scheduled for.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

OK thanks. That is why I asked. When I read the blog, I could not tell if that was indicating 4.0 was for an upcoming version of Mint, or if it was a soon-to-come update on the current version.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

felemur wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:30 pm OK thanks. That is why I asked. When I read the blog, I could not tell if that was indicating 4.0 was for an upcoming version of Mint, or if it was a soon-to-come update on the current version.
Feature updates are almost never applied to a released version. Due to the LTS nature of Ubuntu/Mint the idea is that the release you install remains feature-stable throughout its support duration, updates are only bug fixes. Now this is not a strict rule, in particular where both cannot easily be separated (think web browsers), but generally that's what the approach is.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

gm10 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm
Mick-Cork wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:55 am if i'm understanding Clem's latest blog article correctly, looks like it surfaces in 19.1?
Adding some weight to this. While the blog does not mention 19.1, that's what those changes are scheduled for.
Hi GM10, thanks for confirming that. I noticed that Clem's reply to one of the comments stated that Cinnamon V4 was dropping in 19.1 so probably just assumed Nemo 4 would be happening at the same time.

I've been hanging back, still on 18.3, but from what I'm reading will most likely go for a clean install of 19.1 when available. Looking forward to it now.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Mick-Cork wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:33 pm I've been hanging back, still on 18.3, but from what I'm reading will most likely go for a clean install of 19.1 when available. Looking forward to it now.
I'll definitely give Cinnamon 4 a try. I disliked the version in 18.3, found it extremely unstable on my system. The version in 19 is stable, and 19.1 will address some of the major issues with it, so should be good.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm one of many (most, perhaps?) folks who never had a lick of trouble with LM 19. Cinnamon 3.8 has for me right along been noticably superior to that which shipped in 18.x and earlier. Nemo has also been a lot more solid than before. All that said, given the breadth of hardware LM is asked to run on, it's inevitable there will be trouble somewhere.

I just read Clem's latest blog post, and it all sounds really awesome. I can't wait to experience the improvements 4.0 will bring, and I hope the .1 release gives more 18.x users faith, confidence, and incentive to upgrade.

As I always nuke-n-pave for an OS installation, I guess I know what I'll be doing sometime this November or December.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Portreve wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:42 pm
I just read Clem's latest blog post, and it all sounds really awesome. I can't wait to experience the improvements 4.0 will bring, and I hope the .1 release gives more 18.x users faith, confidence, and incentive to upgrade.
It has with me. Over the last number of years I've normally upgraded as soon as any new release appears and it was only a small thing that held me back from going straight to 19.0 - the comments by some users about the new font colour being a bit difficult on the eyes (and mine are feeling their age!).

I think that's been solved since, but as my 18.3 install is 100% rock solid with absolutely no issues at all, plus a boot up of 20 secs and shutdown in 3 secs (after some tinkering), i've been hesitating. 19.1 sounds like it's got a lot going for it so I've already decided I want it :)
scoson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scoson »

I wonder if all Cinnamon themes that currently still work on 3.8 will still work with Cinnamon 4.0.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”