Wow, you guys messed up with Mint 19

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ikhwan
Level 1
Level 1

Wow, you guys messed up with Mint 19

Post by ikhwan »

So I just spent the entire building my first computer. It was glorious, booted up on first try. I thought I'd celebrate the occasion by installing Linux Mint. I had a copy of 18.3 around, not realising 19 is out but it installed without a hitch.

Then I noticed something strange. Firstly, i proportioned 25 gb for / partition, which "used to be" more than adequate. With 19, it ate up 21 gb to my shock. No problem, I have a 128 gb M.2 SSD to be utilized as / and 1 TB of HDD for /Home. So I downloaded 19 with the hopes of re-partitioning the drives with abundance mentality, and started to reinstall.

But it won't take.

For some reason, I don't know why, the installer crashes as I click on the "Install Linux Mint 19" icon. Not just once, not just twice, E V E R Y T I M E. Cinnamon crashes and the whole thing is a bust. Just to be sure it was nothing else, I installed Kubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu Bionic Beaver as well as Ubuntu Mate 18.04 without any fuss.

So yeah, somebody messed up Linux Mint 19 and made my glorious day substantially less so.

Why do you guys do this? Sigh....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Wow, you guys messed up with Mint 19

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Is this a plea for assistance or is this just a rant?...your subject title suggests the latter of the two...also you say "you guys messed up"..."us guys" here did not mess up, we are all volunteers in a forum for LM, we did not create LM, we just help others to get the most out of it...if your looking for help from volunteers here on the forum, it would behoove you to not start out with a rant because maybe you didnt allocate enough space for the installation and expansion of LM, thus blaming LM for a your badly planned installation effort...DAMIEN
gm10

Post by gm10 »

ikhwan wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:40 pm Why do you guys do this? Sigh....
Surely malicious intent. Somebody heard you wanted to install it so we quickly broke it before you could get your hands on it.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Too bad people don't read the published Release Notes before they attempt an install. :(
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

richyrich wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:23 pm Too bad people don't read the published Release Notes before they attempt an install. :(
Now why would I want to do that, I have always thrown the manuals to the side when I buy something new :lol:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AGz...i will bet that at christmas time when building the bikes, and other new toys for your kids, you probably saw the instructions and said, baaah, humbug, i dont need those...lol...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:08 pm hi AGz...i will bet that at christmas time when building the bikes, and other new toys for your kids, you probably saw the instructions and said, baaah, humbug, i dont need those...lol...DAMIEN
ha ha ha,
yeah, been there, done that.........
and had to admit defeat :oops:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ikhwan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ikhwan »

You're right, it's also my fault that I should've have read the release note. Sure, my installation was hasty. And yes, this is a rant.

But [curse removed], I didn't expect the entire thing to entirely fail and it failed entirely. I also did not expect that it corrupted 2 of my usb sticks to a point where I can't fix them even after I scour all the forums.

Linux Mint is suppose to be an easy install, but LM19 wasn't, or more precisely it couldn't install. Linux Mint shouldn't be corrupting my usb sticks to a point where it is unusable, but it did. Linux Mint shouldn't be giving people grief like this, but it did. And i didn't do anything different than what I've done so many times before.

Sigh. Rant over.
Last edited by Moem on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Profanity removed. Please watch your language.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Ok...please also remember profanity is not used among civilised folks here in the forum...you said,

Code: Select all

But [curse removed]
, lets take a big breath, and lets all put our "big boy" adult pants on and hopefully start off fresh without looking at the past posts...please start out with an actual question AFTER you have read the installation instructions and please ask the question/questions that you need answered BEFORE you go for a re-installation from scratch...we will be glad to help you and by the way, welcome to the forums here at LM...we ARE here to help, so now we have a new beginning for all of us to start with now...maybe we can start with your USB sticks and how they are corrupted, what did you use to load the iso onto the sticks with( rufus, CD burner XP, etc...we WILL help you...we just need to all respect each other here on the forums is all, and respect the rules of the forum...DAMIEN
Last edited by Moem on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Profanity removed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

As just a regular LMF member and not a moderator or admin, I have to say I'm getting really tired of threads like this. I know they haven't been all cookie-cutter but it's like there's a person or a group out there trying to stir up trouble in the community, or someone is deliberately trying to create a basis for distro (or even GNU+Linux overall) sabotaging web search results.

There are two things which seem formulaic enough to appear contrived in my eyes: LM 19 just totally doesn't work on my box (or has some kind of extreme reaction through errors or other malfeasance), and why isn't anyone doing anything about it or even talking about it? On the surface, these both seem extreme as well as irrational, which because of their repetition here makes me highly suspicious of their authorship and intent.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:08 pm hi AGz...i will bet that at christmas time when building the bikes, and other new toys for your kids, you probably saw the instructions and said, baaah, humbug, i dont need those...lol...DAMIEN
Now the bikes go backwards when the kids pedal forward.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Portreve wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:40 am ...makes me highly suspicious of their authorship and intent.
The OP has been registered since November last year.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

To me such rant threads amount to this:
It is much easier shouting "Wow, you guys messed up with Mint 19", than admitting "Wow, I messed up my Mint 19 installation".
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ikhwan wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:21 pm ...it's also my fault...
You didn't ask for help with anything at all.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

karlchen wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm To me such rant threads amount to this:
It is much easier shouting "Wow, you guys messed up with Mint 19", than admitting "Wow, I messed up my Mint 19 installation".
I want to know how Mint was able to corrupt USBs - that's a pretty good trick!
bassplayer

Post by bassplayer »

Did the md5sum of the image check out? That's happened to me in the past, half way through an installation, it'd fail only because the checksum on the iso didn't match.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

This may be an area you need to check.
https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Computer_Gremlins
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm
karlchen wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm To me such rant threads amount to this:
It is a pointless thread isn't it, the OP doesn't give any real info that points to anything specific. I think he's a bit disorientated as to where his problems actually lay. The reference to corrupt USBs did remind me though of a prob I had when installing 18.3. Using Unetbootin it rendered unusable a couple of vendor specific USBs and after some research it turned out others (on various distros) had experienced the same. Can't remember the exact technical explanation but I ended up chucking them in the bin. I then tried Multisystem on the same brand and it worked ok.

For the OPs benefit, and assuming something similar given the lack of info in the thread, Unetbootin and Multisystem, and I assume any similar apps, are not developed by Linux Mint. I'd say take a breath and come back with a logical and objective step by step description of what happened, at what stage, with the relevant details about hardware and software.

In between, all we have is a patient who shouted at the doc because some medicine he picked up from who knows where, is giving him a headache! :)
Robofuzz

Post by Robofuzz »

I don't know what issue the OP is having, but 19 was just about the easiest install of an OS I've ever experienced. I installed it on a (new to me) Dell Latitude e6430 and everything works great. I am continually impressed with the high quality and attention to detail by the Mint team.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm
I have to admit ... I've got two USB sticks that got real weird when I was testing Mint 19.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”