Problems at the Linux19 Mint Installation

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Leloup
Level 4
Level 4

Problems at the Linux19 Mint Installation

Post by Leloup »

Bonjour,

I tried many time Linux Mint 19 Mate (and Xfce). After installation, my setting are never not saved... :shock:
Do you have any idea why?

Regards,

Leloup
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Problems at the Linux19 Mint Installation

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please be more specific and indicate what you did and which settings were not saved.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It sounds to me like you did not actually install it, but just burned it to a USB stick.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Leloup
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Leloup »

Bonjour,

I had forgotten to eject disk...Sorry for concerns..... :roll:

Regards,

Leloup
Leloup
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Leloup »

Bonjour,

When watching video, at starting, sound is correct for 10s then the crackling increases dramatically. To fix this issue, I stop the video. I wait one or two seconds. I read again video. Sound is correct for 10s then this noise increases again and so on.
if I don't do something, the issue dispears then occurs again.

Do you have any idea where does that come from?

Regards,

Le Loup
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Leloup wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:09 pm Bonjour,

When watching video, at starting, sound is correct for 10s then the crackling increases dramatically. To fix this issue, I stop the video. I wait one or two seconds. I read again video. Sound is correct for 10s then this noise increases again and so on.
if I don't do something, the issue dispears then occurs again.

Do you have any idea where does that come from?

Regards,

Le Loup
Are you running Mint from a USB flash drive or is it installed onto the hard drive?
Leloup
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Leloup »

Bonjour JerryF,

Thank you for your interest for my problem.
I am running Mint from the hard drive.
I must add that I use a virtual machine. It is a VirtualBox VM from Oracle. Linux Mint is installed as a guest.

Regards,
Leloup
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Ah. It helps to know that Mint is running as a guest in VirtualBox.

Running Mint as a virtual machine will not give you the same results as if you ran it directly (not in a virtual machine). That is probably the cause of your video issue.

I run Windows as a guest as a virtual machine in VirtualBox. Windows doesn't run as well as when it was installed directly onto my hard disk. It's just the nature of running a virtual machine.

As for your settings not being saved: Do you see the icon "Install Linux Mint" on the desktop when you run Mint in VirtualBox?
Leloup
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Leloup »

I agree. If the crackling sound was due to timing issue between VM and the Audio card, I shouldn't be not surprised.
Except this problem, so far, I assessed Linux 19 Mate and Xfce as guest, I didn't have any major issue. While, with Cinnamon, I experienced a problem from the rendering of the graphic display.
To answer your question,
As for your settings not being saved: Do you see the icon "Install Linux Mint" on the desktop when you run Mint in VirtualBox?
If the disk is not ejected, Yes, I still see the icon "Install Linux Mint" on the desktop. I must click on "stop" Linux and don't click on "restart" to can release the virtual disk.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Leloup wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:53 am Yes, I still see the icon "Install Linux Mint" on the desktop.
Then it's not actually installed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Leloup wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:53 am I agree. If the crackling sound was due to timing issue between VM and the Audio card, I shouldn't be not surprised.
Except this problem, so far, I assessed Linux 19 Mate and Xfce as guest, I didn't have any major issue. While, with Cinnamon, I experienced a problem from the rendering of the graphic display.
To answer your question,
If the disk is not ejected, Yes, I still see the icon "Install Linux Mint" on the desktop. I must click on "stop" Linux and don't click on "restart" to can release the virtual disk.
As Moem said, Mint not installed but running in live mode. That's why your settings aren't being saved.

Cinnamon requires more resources than either MATE or Xfce, so that's probably why you're having issues with video.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”