new SW Manager in LM19...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmph

new SW Manager in LM19...

Post by kmph »

1) SoftwareManager in LN18 used to order programs by popularity. Now they only seem to be ordered alphabetically. Why? This seems to be a detriment since finding interesting programs is now harder.
2) So programs are only listed alphabetically, but why not all? For example, I click Games. Only games up to letter E are listed. Poor SuperTuxKart doesnt fit... will it become forgotten?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: new SW Manager in LM19...

Post by MintBean »

For me, the games aren't listed alphabetically. Appears to be a combination of rating and number of votes. SupetTuxCart is second from top under games.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Linux Mint v19.0 Mate

When I first open Software Manager games are shown in alphabetical order. Under All the first three entries are oad, 2048-qt, and 3dchess. However, if I then search for a game, e.g. Supertuxcart and then close the resulting window and click on All again the first game shown is Wesnoth followed by Supertuxcart.

However, closing and then opening Software Manager again results in all apps being show with icons and in, I would imagine, order of popularity for every category. And now this happens every time I open it!

Note, this is the first time I've opened Software Manager since I installed Tara - I normally use Synaptic - so can anyone confirm that it is i=only on the first opening that everything is displayed alphabetically?
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
ud6

Post by ud6 »

tenfoot wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 am ..so can anyone confirm that it is i=only on the first opening that everything is displayed alphabetically?
Linux Mint MATE 19.0
Not first time I've opened it. But if I click on a category or search, it lists them more or less by number of stars given (I say more or less, cos some higher rating reviews are lower down, bit I guess there is a weighting based on number of reviews.

Not sure how you get it alphabetically.. I can't and I don't remember that on first time. More importantly, where can you click on 'all'? I cam either search or pick a category.. no 'all'.

On a more philosophical point, without knowing the programme code itself, the only way to know if it only does it on the first try is with infinite testing. :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”