Greg says distros are doing it wrong

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Greg says distros are doing it wrong

Post by oldgranola »

Apparently , Greg Kroah-Hartman, Mr. Upstream sans Linus, thinks the distro's are doing it wrong with regard to security patches. Too slow to apply the security fixes to LTS kernels. I certainly wouldn't have any idea how to fix but does give me a bit more of an excuse to play with upstream kernels, but I'm doing it just for fun on non critical machines and multiboots.

Linux can't keep you safe if you don't update it

https://www.cio.com/article/3070434/lin ... te-it.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Greg says distros are doing it wrong

Post by catweazel »

oldgranola wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:04 am Apparently , Greg Kroah-Hartman, Mr. Upstream sans Linus, thinks the distro's are doing it wrong with regard to security patches.
Of course GKH doesn't mention all the kernel disasters he's been directly responsible for.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:05 am
oldgranola wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:04 am Apparently , Greg Kroah-Hartman, Mr. Upstream sans Linus, thinks the distro's are doing it wrong with regard to security patches.
Of course GKH doesn't mention all the kernel disasters he's been directly responsible for.
:lol: :lol:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...couple notes...

...1) the CIO article in the first post is from...May 13 2016

...2) GKH's choice of distro some yrs ago...(hardly what someone calls 'LTS' i think?)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”