Identifying a memory leak

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gm10

Identifying a memory leak

Post by gm10 »

Noticed that I started leaking memory right after boot after updating apparmor to v2.12-4ubuntu5.1. Interestingly downgrading the involved packages to the previous version again didn't fix it. Probably some settings change involved. I timeshifted back, which fixed it, then tried again for the same result, so I timeshifted again, haven't investigated further.

edit: While apparmor triggered it, I later on managed to trigger it in another way, so it wasn't the cause, or at least not the only one. I rolled the system back a full week and will watch it carefully to find the real cause.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Memory leak in apparmor 2.12-4ubuntu5.1 (LM19)

Post by karlchen »

Hi, gm10.

Checked that my Xubuntu 18.04.1 has got apparmor 2.12-4ubuntu5.1 as well. Wonder which process / processes specifically started to leak memory on your system. Might keep an eye on the same processes here as well.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Identifying a memory leak

Post by Condorman »

Having a similar problem here. Memory usage shoots up, but seems to occur when copying files. I'll keep an eye on it, but I am definitely noticing it just moving files around from my PC to various hard drives and flash drives etc. It starts off OK but before long my (admittedly now very paltry) 4GB RAM is chewed up and spat out, leaving me having to (slowly) reboot the PC. Using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit all up to date.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Don't think it is anything to do with file copying, but I do think it's a Nemo/Cinnamon bug. Very high CPU usage at the moment with only Chrome and one tab open, and also memory usage going up and down all the time, currently at 3.0GiB usage and rising. PC has been just since the morning and this has been slowly rising. System monitor and htop report cinnamon --replace and nemo as the largest users. If anyone a bit more technically minded than me can advise that would be appreciated. I'm not up on getting the right logs etc. Ta!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I never fully tracked it down in my case. I isolated it to only happening with certain kernel versions but I know it's not that alone because that included kernel versions that had been working perfectly fine previously. I'm currently on 4.18.0-10-generic, which seems to be problem free on my machine with all packages up to date, fingers crossed.

Maybe something for you to try as well (not necessarily that specific kernel, just boot to different versions from the GRUB menu to see if it makes a difference).

edit: nvm, problem eventually reappeared and now is happening all the time again. I just can't seem to pin it down. Time for a clean install I guess.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”