What's the latest Mint edition to continue use of GTK +2 for UI?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What's the latest Mint edition to continue use of GTK +2 for UI?

Post by Arch_Enemy »

smurphos wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:17 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am

Code: Select all

(mate-session:1354): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:54:56.951: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:4091:13: negative values are not allowed
Yep - those are the ones - basically these highlight the lines in the css that have syntax errors as far as the current GTK version is concerned.
OMG...there's a ton of them!

I guess I'm just trying to push themes that no longer work. :(
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

smurphos wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:30 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 pm
Do you want to give this a try? It's a conversion of the GTK3.22 GreenLaguna to use the colors from the GTK3.10 BlueLaguna. It's a bit quick and dirty so may need a bit of tweaking.....

BlueLaguna_GTK3.22.zip

BTW if you can post a ZIP of your GreyBird-Mint for reference so I can see which elements were Mintified it should be pretty straightforward to convert the current original Greybird in a similar way.

This is BlueLaguna in gtk3-widget-factory
Let's see if this works. I am a superuser, but when it comes to modifying XML I don't have a lot of experience. I can make minor tweaks to make some programs work but that's about it, and I get the instructions either from the docs with the package or the net.

The original developer gave up. Said they kept making so many changes to GTk that he wasn't able to keep up with it. He also mention it rendered some aspects unresolvable.
gnomishgray_by_tsujan-d4zbie1.7z

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

smurphos wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:30 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 pm
Do you want to give this a try? It's a conversion of the GTK3.22 GreenLaguna to use the colors from the GTK3.10 BlueLaguna. It's a bit quick and dirty so may need a bit of tweaking.....

BlueLaguna_GTK3.22.zip

BTW if you can post a ZIP of your GreyBird-Mint for reference so I can see which elements were Mintified it should be pretty straightforward to convert the current original Greybird in a similar way.

This is BlueLaguna in gtk3-widget-factory

Hey! That worked! It didn't make the screens go blank!

Now, if I could figure out how to make that shades of grey, I'd be a happy camper!!

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:06 pm Hey! That worked! It didn't make the screens go blank!

Now, if I could figure out how to make that shades of grey, I'd be a happy camper!!
Are you familiar with the comparison GUI app meld? If so compare the new BlueLaguna folder with the original GreenLaguna folder to see what I edited to make the changes. Meld will highlight the changed files in directory comparison mode and you can click through to compare the changed files line by line.

Most of the changes were to the color definitions in gtk-main.css (in the gtk-3.0 folder)

I used the old version BlueLaguna .svg assets were necessary - but that was just for convenience - the .svg image assets can be color changed with a text editor, but that does take time.

Finally a few changes to the gtkrc & caja.rc file in gtk-2.0 and I used Gimp to edit bg.png which does the menu backgrounds for GTK 2 apps. The Gimp edit of that one little png actually took me the longest to get more or less right.... :wink:

So it wouldn't be hard to make GreyLaguna (using GnomishGreys base colors) - but the .svg assets would take time to get right.

Have you actually tried the repo version of Greybird? It looks quite smart in Mate 19.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Yes, I have greybord and it's what I was running until you sent me Blue Laguna. :wink:

I have meld installed to examine photos with. There is one package I use to check my original photos with copies I have made so I can cull the copies and keep the originals in the USB drives I store the photos on. I know it's for comparisons, but since I don't do programming I don't use it for anything else.

I'll get back to you in two or three weeks..that's about how long it's going to take for me to figure this out. I may have to reload once or twice in the process... :D

Thanks for you efforts!

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You are welcome - I'll take a look at making a GreyLaguna sometime this week. Anyway doing that kickstarted me into starting work on some other theming projects I've had on the back-burner for a while so thank-you!
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

smurphos wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:14 am You are welcome - I'll take a look at making a GreyLaguna sometime this week. Anyway doing that kickstarted me into starting work on some other theming projects I've had on the back-burner for a while so thank-you!
Excellent. If they aren't FLAT I'd be happy to try them out! :D

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BTW, I played around with it a bit. I copied the similar sections from GnomishGray to the sections in Blue Laguna you supplied, and the interface is a bit more towards GG, but I didn't change any colours.

Good work, my friend!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”