a.root-servers.net

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jobangles
Level 1
Level 1

a.root-servers.net

Post by jobangles »

Hi, I used etherape to watch connections and had the situation where my PC was sending Kbytes of data continuously to 26 root-servers. This I had not seen before and having read somewhere that Hackers were working on DOS attacks to these Servers I assumed my PC had been turned into a Web Bot. I reinstalled Mint 18.2 and the problem disappeared. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? By the way I tried Mint 19 but had audio (5.1), etherape, samba problems so stayed with 18.2 which cannot recommend highly enough.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: a.root-servers.net

Post by trytip »

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jobangles wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:17 am Hi, I used etherape to watch connections and had the situation where my PC was sending Kbytes of data continuously to 26 root-servers. This I had not seen before and having read somewhere that Hackers were working on DOS attacks to these Servers I assumed my PC had been turned into a Web Bot. I reinstalled Mint 18.2 and the problem disappeared.
It's more than likely that your machine's network configuration was dodgy, hence the problem going away when you reinstalled.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jobangles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jobangles »

Thanks Catweazel, like to know what is what. I am also downunder and it is raining. Yippee!
jobangles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jobangles »

Thanks Trytip.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”