Linux mint 19 mate

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pgc3411

Linux mint 19 mate

Post by pgc3411 »

How to go from Mint 19 Mate to 19 Cinnamon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Linux mint 19 mate

Post by gm10 »

Ideally clean install, or

Code: Select all

apt install mint-meta-cinnamon
and then switch the desktop environment at the login screen (icon to the right of your user name).
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

gm10 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:01 pm Ideally clean install, or

apt install mint-meta-mate
and then switch the desktop environment at the login screen (icon to the right of your user name).
mint-meta-mate? that sounds odd.
I think he wants to go to Cinnamon

True, clean install is best
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
gm10

Post by gm10 »

sdibaja wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:10 pm I think he wants to go to Cinnamon
Why would anybody want to go Cinnamon?! :P Thx, corrected. ;)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Ideally clean install, or just use

apt install mint-meta-cinnamon
that the way that I've done this - - on both LM18x & on LM19x series as well.
-then you just log out & log-in on the other system.

the Mate & Cinnamon DEs do seem to work together, quite well.
whereas the Mate & XFCE do not work as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pgc3411

Post by pgc3411 »

I was just curious if it could be done, I am staying with what I have. I am still having very very slow boot issues with 19 Mate. The other issue that I was having seems to have miraculously resolved itself, updates. I had not gotten a single update for over 2 months...suddenly I am receiving updates on a regular basis, go figure. the slow boot is aggravating, 6 minutes give or take, once booted the system runs seamlessly. I have been through many steps to try to resolve the boot problem, alas, thus far to no avail.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

pgc3411 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm I was just curious if it could be done, I am staying with what I have. I am still having very very slow boot issues with 19 Mate. The other issue that I was having seems to have miraculously resolved itself, updates. I had not gotten a single update for over 2 months...suddenly I am receiving updates on a regular basis, go figure. the slow boot is aggravating, 6 minutes give or take, once booted the system runs seamlessly. I have been through many steps to try to resolve the boot problem, alas, thus far to no avail.
Yup, I have similar boot problems (maybe not as extreme) and I think came when kernel update.

systemd-analyze
is a nice way to see what is taking time with the boot. I know my issues but too lazy to resolve this :lol: :lol:
Fundamentally though, a modern OS that takes 6 minutes to boot is a bit of a failure in my book, regardless of whether we can tweak it ourselves to get it working properly.

more options for systemd-analyze... https://www.tecmint.com/systemd-analyze ... rformance/
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

pgc3411 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm I was just curious if it could be done, I am staying with what I have. I am still having very very slow boot issues with 19 Mate. The other issue that I was having seems to have miraculously resolved itself, updates. I had not gotten a single update for over 2 months...suddenly I am receiving updates on a regular basis, go figure. the slow boot is aggravating, 6 minutes give or take, once booted the system runs seamlessly. I have been through many steps to try to resolve the boot problem, alas, thus far to no avail.
6 minutes is very radical.
out of curiosity, what is the contents of your /etc/fstab file?

sometimes I get extreme boot issues when the system is looking for a partition to mount.
It happens when I test a Mint or Ubuntu product: the swap partition gets messed up (reformatted) by the Ubuntu/Mint installer.
formatting a swap partition changes the UUID,
if in error it can to be edited in the fstab

this fstab file was created by the LMDE 3 installer... it mounted all swap partitions on the system.
I had to comment out two swap partitions that are to be used by other systems and may not exist later.
(add # to the beginning of the line)

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
#UUID=32672b6b-89f5-4330-9f06-e9d53a2d18f4 swap           swap    defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
UUID=30cfcf36-b9b8-47e8-86ea-55774fb6946f /              ext4    defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
UUID=719d1294-0b7f-43da-ba67-f34cd6bfae72 swap           swap    defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
UUID=40ca87d2-ff47-49ce-abc9-9708b5f5abf8 /home          ext4    defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
#UUID=25a70e3e-8546-4b5c-b952-9be62160e98b swap           swap    defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
#UUID=8e91b6c4-ea26-4774-aaca-1ec53c59ad71 swap           swap    defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
Or, the "Disks"(gnome-disks) program messes it up with the "auto mount" option (very old Bug)
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”