Boot installed Mint from RAM?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davethewave
Level 1
Level 1

Boot installed Mint from RAM?

Post by davethewave »

I installed Windows 7 to a 9Gb Windows.VHD, which then I map to --mem through grub4dos and boot the whole 9gigs off RAM using firadisk driver. A similar thing can be done for the live-CD version of Mint, adding "toram --" at the end of the boot menu.

Booting straight from the Windows.VHD without loading to RAM allows any changes to be saved, likewise a boot entry for Mint without toram -- allows changes to be saved if there is a persistent file.

I like to boot from RAM for various reasons, one reason is Windows ikes to bloat my drive in the background and it's nice to just reboot and have reclaimed space, another reason is it reduces HDD reads/writes theoretically prolonging the life of the drive (I have no evidence of this, it's just an idea) another reason is, If I ever catch a virus/trojan or system bug/bricked OS, a reboot will clear it away. And finally, because I'm a nerd like that.

Puppy Linux is built to boot from RAM, and has the ability to save if you wish to, to a save file.

so I'm curious, is there any way to do this for Mint? Even if it means gutting Puppy's .sfs and replacing it with mostly Mint, could this be done? If I installed to a 9Gig partition, could the entire partition somehow be loaded to ram and booted? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”