TLP power management

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Post Reply
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:57 am

I just saw this, and I am not getting the battery life I want on my linux laptop (HP Spectre x360 13.3" 2017 model), does it work with Mint (it says it works with Ubuntu)? And more importantly, does it work as claimed, giving you extra battery life?

dark
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by dark » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 am

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku0491LfhR4

There's also GUI for TLP if you need it: https://github.com/d4nj1/TLPUI

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:03 am

Thank you. I am watching it now.

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: TLP power management

Post by Moem » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:05 am

It can be installed from the Software Manager in Mint. And yes, it makes a difference.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:10 am

Once again proving how wonderful this board is, answered within seconds! Thanks guys.

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Wow, I installed it, configured it like the video showed and now instead of 3-4 hours, I show over 7 hours of battery life!

ud6

Re: TLP power management

Post by ud6 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 am

dark wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 am
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku0491LfhR4

There's also GUI for TLP if you need it: https://github.com/d4nj1/TLPUI
Thanks for the TLP GUI! never realised it had one.

Being in an area subject to power outages I a big fan of TLP and also the 'indicator-cpufreq' applet from software sources.

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 pm

ud6 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 am
dark wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 am
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku0491LfhR4

There's also GUI for TLP if you need it: https://github.com/d4nj1/TLPUI
Thanks for the TLP GUI! never realised it had one.

Being in an area subject to power outages I a big fan of TLP and also the 'indicator-cpufreq' applet from software sources.
Do you have to have an account? I could not seem to get it to download.

dark
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by dark » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 am

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 pm
ud6 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 am
dark wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 am
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku0491LfhR4

There's also GUI for TLP if you need it: https://github.com/d4nj1/TLPUI
Thanks for the TLP GUI! never realised it had one.

Being in an area subject to power outages I a big fan of TLP and also the 'indicator-cpufreq' applet from software sources.
Do you have to have an account? I could not seem to get it to download.
https://github.com/d4nj1/TLPUI/archive/master.zip
Extract it after download.
Open the extracted folder.
Right click and open terminal.
sudo python3 -m tlpui

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:13 am

Thank you.

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: TLP power management

Post by Moem » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:19 am

dark wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 am
https://github.com/d4nj1/TLPUI/archive/master.zip
Extract it after download.
Open the extracted folder.
Right click and open terminal.
sudo python3 -m tlpui
That works... but after I close it, how do I start it again? Is there any non-terminal way? It seems rather clumsy to open a terminal in order to open a GUI program, so there is probably an easier way.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am

Moem wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:19 am
dark wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 am
https://github.com/d4nj1/TLPUI/archive/master.zip
Extract it after download.
Open the extracted folder.
Right click and open terminal.
sudo python3 -m tlpui
That works... but after I close it, how do I start it again? Is there any non-terminal way? It seems rather clumsy to open a terminal in order to open a GUI program, so there is probably an easier way.
Oh heck, I did not try that, good point.

dark
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by dark » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:21 am

Moem wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:19 am
dark wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 am
https://github.com/d4nj1/TLPUI/archive/master.zip
Extract it after download.
Open the extracted folder.
Right click and open terminal.
sudo python3 -m tlpui
That works... but after I close it, how do I start it again? Is there any non-terminal way? It seems rather clumsy to open a terminal in order to open a GUI program, so there is probably an easier way.
Found a way.

Open text editor of your choice.
Copy/paste this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cd ./TLPUI-master
python3 -m tlpui
Save file as tlpui.sh
Copy/paste tlpui.sh to TLPUI-master folder.
Make tlpui.sh executable from Properties > Permissions.
Double click tlpui.sh to run TLPUI GUI.

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: TLP power management

Post by Moem » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks. Not exactly the kind of thing I had in mind, but I'm sure some people will find it useful.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:10 am

Moem wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:26 am
Thanks. Not exactly the kind of thing I had in mind, but I'm sure some people will find it useful.
Agreed.

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:01 am

I reloaded Mint 19.2 on my wife's old one (I had to reinstall Windows to update the BIOS), and the power management seems better than it was before, and I have not re-installed TLP yet. Has there been a change in batter power management under 19.2 that I missed?

User avatar
kc1di
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5335
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: TLP power management

Post by kc1di » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:07 am

If you want a good gui and some control over your battery life, slimbook makes an ubuntu/mint battery saver that really works.
Just follow the instructions here.
https://mintguide.org/tools/914-slimboo ... power.html It works with xfce also.
Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: TLP power management

Post by MurphCID » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:51 am

kc1di wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:07 am
If you want a good gui and some control over your battery life, slimbook makes an ubuntu/mint battery saver that really works.
Just follow the instructions here.
https://mintguide.org/tools/914-slimboo ... power.html It works with xfce also.
Good Luck.
I am going to try this!

User avatar
kc1di
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5335
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: TLP power management

Post by kc1di » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am

Good Luck and enjoy.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”