Mint's own repositories?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ImpWarfare
Level 1
Level 1

Mint's own repositories?

Post by ImpWarfare »

Since we have the packages.linuxmint.com on our systems now what about the rest of Ubuntu's repositories? Will these ever be replaced with Mint's own repositories but still being Ubuntu-based? I'm curious about this because this is what Zorin OS developers are going to do with its system and using Ubuntu's own repositories on Zorin is only a temporary measure and will eventually be replaced with Zorin's own repositories could Linux Mint follow this example if possible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
gm10

Re: Mint's own repositories?

Post by gm10 »

Without speaking for the Mint team that I'm no part of, I'll confidently say that this will never happen. There's no good reason for it. Linux Mint isn't a full distribution, it's a re-spin of Ubuntu, most of its package base is Ubuntu's. I have a feeling you may also have misunderstood what Zorin OS devs are planning but I'm not following their news.
ImpWarfare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImpWarfare »

gm10 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:28 am Without speaking for the Mint team that I'm no part of, I'll confidently say that this will never happen. There's no good reason for it. Linux Mint isn't a full distribution, it's a re-spin of Ubuntu, most of its package base is Ubuntu's. I have a feeling you may also have misunderstood what Zorin OS devs are planning but I'm not following their news.
I'm not fuzzed about this it was just a thought and I don't mind Mint using Ubuntu's own repositories so long its settings don't override Mint's default settings etc.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
gm10

Post by gm10 »

DarkCerberus wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:36 am so long its settings don't override Mint's default settings etc.
It's more that Mint is overriding Ubuntu's settings with a bunch of scripts in their ubuntu-system-adjustments package. It's possible that this may need updating in the future if Ubuntu changes something, but that's what Mint's own repository is for.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint exist as a derivative of Ubuntu and Debian. The ISOs are built from the ground up and are not re-spins. Calling it a re-spin is misunderstanding of what Linux Mint is and the amount of original work that goes into it.

That said, from a user experience point there would be little to no value in packaging the same software specifically for Linux Mint that Debian and Ubuntu already package. The Linux Mint repository packages software that isn't available in those repositories, that the Linux Mint developers want or need specific changes to (configuration or patches) or that as part of the minor release upgrades (e.g., 19.1) Linux Mint provides its users with newer versions of than available in the Debian or Ubuntu LTS package bases. That's not saying it's set in stone but right now Linux Mint is happy with the package bases it uses.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”