Found a great GUI Image Converter - Converseen

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Found a great GUI Image Converter - Converseen

Post by JerryF »

I had 200 scanned images that I fixed in Gimp and save them in XCF format. I knew there should be a way to convert them to JPG easily, but hadn't found it until I came across the Converseen app. What a great app!

It's in the Software Manager/Synaptic Package Manager.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Found a great GUI Image Converter - Converseen

Post by kyphi »

In GIMP, File, Export as ... will convert XCF to a long list of optional file extensions including JPEG.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

kyphi wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 pm In GIMP, File, Export as ... will convert XCF to a long list of optional file extensions including JPEG.
Yes, I've done that in the past, but to process 200 images like that would take such a long time.

Converseen did it in seconds.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

No wonder you got excited.

I don't know that GIMP would take such a long time to do the conversion - I have never tried to do it. I tend to convert to jpeg or png immediately on completion of editing in GIMP.

I see that Converseen also resizes images but then I use the right click resize or rotate option in Nemo to do that.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

JerryF wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:58 pmI knew there should be a way to convert them to JPG easily, but hadn't found it until I came across the Converseen app. What a great app!
I agree, Converseen is a great app. I think of it as a GUI for Imagemagick tools like IM Convert, and it eliminates the need for command-fu. However...

...I find running IM Convert from the command line is faster than Converseen. Here is the command I use to convert every xcf in a directory to a jpg. Remember, Linux is case sensitive, so subsitute XCF for xcf if necessary.

Code: Select all

find . -name "*xcf" | xargs -l -i basename "{}" ".xcf" | xargs -l -i  convert  "{}.xcf" "{}.jpg"
Converseen is still a great app. :)
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Great to know!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”