Are there region restrictions for playing dvds

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msj305

Are there region restrictions for playing dvds

Post by msj305 »

Just wondering if there are region restrictions for playing dvds in Linux Mint.Or is it region free.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Are there region restrictions for playing dvds

Post by xenopeek »

No, the libdvdcss library used on Linux to decode DVDs ignores region codes.
msj305

Post by msj305 »

Great,that sounds like it is region free.Much better than windows,they allow a limited number of region changes until the count reaches 0.
Then it can't be changed no matter if windows is reinstalled.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

msj305 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:07 am Great,that sounds like it is region free.Much better than windows,they allow a limited number of region changes until the count reaches 0.
On Win 7, I used the VLC program to play VCDs and DVDs, and had no problems with Region-restriction. Were you using Windows Media Player.?
msj305

Post by msj305 »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:26 am
msj305 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:07 am Great,that sounds like it is region free.Much better than windows,they allow a limited number of region changes until the count reaches 0.
On Win 7, I used the VLC program to play VCDs and DVDs, and had no problems with Region-restriction. Were you using Windows Media Player.?
Yes I used windows media player but I never put disks from other regions in the dvd drive.Only disks for my region.You'll see If you go into Computer
and right click the dvd drive and click properties.Click Hardware tab,select dvd drive and click properties.Then click dvd region tab.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

It might be that the code has not been included in Linux distros but, I recall there being some discussion way back when, that there was code in Windows and Mac player software that actually modified some firmware in the Drive after so many changes. It may have been built into the drive itself that permitted so many changes. Just because you haven't experienced it in Linux I would not be so sure that Linux can reliably bypass region locking without modification to the drive firmware. Come to think of it, I'm pretty certain it was firmware related as stand alone DVD players had this problem too.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

msj305 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 am Yes I used windows media player but I never put disks from other regions in the dvd drive.Only disks for my region.You'll see If you go into Computer
and right click the dvd drive and click properties.Click Hardware tab,select dvd drive and click properties.Then click dvd region tab.
https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/t ... ually.html - How to Remove Region Code from DVD in Several Easy Ways? - 2016

https://www.popularmechanics.com/techno ... 0/4274927/ - How to Unlock DVD Regions on Your Mac and PC: Tech Clinic - 2008
ud6

Post by ud6 »

Yup - when I changed country it was a nightmare.. indeed it's what stopped me buying DVDs because I could no longer play DVDs that I had purchased. CD and DVD production was sooo controlling of the market - not surprising people got fed up with over-priced products and market manipulation and found other routes (some illegal) of obtaining music and films. Good riddance to that media :lol: :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”