Installation - Suggestion to Newbies

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Installation - Suggestion to Newbies

Post by JerryF »

Hello all,

This suggestion pertains to users who'll be resizing partitions with Gparted at a later date.

I've been noticing a few posts with regards to new members having installed Mint with either "Encrypt the new Linux Mint installation for security" or "Use LVM with the new Linux Mint installation" options.

If encryption is not absolutely needed, a strong suggestion is don't choose "Encrypt the new Linux Mint installation for security". Also, if LVM is not absolutely needed, don't choose "Use LVM with the new Linux Mint installation" either.

Either of those options creates an LVM partition.

From what I've found is that you can't shrink an LVM partition using Gparted. An LVM shows as being full, even though technically there's some empty space.
Shutter_031.jpg
Shutter_032.jpg
Shutter_033.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Installation - Suggestion to Newbies

Post by kukamuumuka »

+1
LVM is a headache, but its purpose fits better for multi hard drive systems.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you need disk encryption or LVM, use them. I mean, do things for the right reason.

At least to me it sounds strange to advice not to use something needed because one might, perhaps, one day, possibly, want to resize the partition. I don't think it's very common to want to resize partitions. I'd expect most installs are done once and partitions are untouched afterwards.

I think GParted has limited support for LVM shrinking. But indeed LVM shrinking through commandline has some footnotes so I see where you're coming from. But there are good guides out there for how to properly shrink LVM partitions through commandline. The forum is here for those needing more help.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

I think that LVM is not good for a beginner, because it makes too small /boot partition by default, and within time and kernel updates, /boot partition is full and problem is arised.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”