I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by vonMos »

majpooper wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 pm I have been running LMDE3 in a VM just to play and did put it on an old Lenovo that I run as a PiHole server - really like it - very snappy and boots fast. I may switch to it at some point. I did run into some install issues when I tried to install it on a PC - it just would not boot after the install for some reason so ended up putting LM19 on that PC . . . . oh well.
You have to configure the GRUB on the main sda ... easy stuff
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

too easy - somehow I picked the the right partition on the laptop but not on the PC - I think I will give it another shot. THX much.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

ud6 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:00 am What's the software you need in Windows you can't use in Linux?
I know you weren't asking me but the one piece of software I need windows for is tax software. I run a windows vm and start it up every once in a while to let it update and that's when I truly realize what a headache it is to use windows. I don't want to know how bad it would be if I only booted it up once a year to do taxes. lol

I have tried to install it with wine and it doesn't really work.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sgtor wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 pm
ud6 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:00 am What's the software you need in Windows you can't use in Linux?
I know you weren't asking me but the one piece of software I need windows for is tax software. I run a windows vm and start it up every once in a while to let it update and that's when I truly realize what a headache it is to use windows. I don't want to know how bad it would be if I only booted it up once a year to do taxes. lol

I have tried to install it with wine and it doesn't really work.
I'm quite the opposite. I run Linux to get a couple of freebies that are megabucks in the Windows world. But they aren't keeping up on the free stuff as much as the paid for versions, and getting them to run can be tricky. I blew up a few Arch installations because of the libraries I had to have installed, and then Arch "rolls" and doesn't know how to deal with the installed libraries. It is much easier in Mint...easier to run. It's a breeze to install in Arch because the maintainer keeps up on it...sometimes. Another one I have to massage the build file to make it work.

In Mint I can just install the libraries. Or, could. Mint 19 doesn't like them so much. LMDE choked quite a bit at first, but I was able to get it running. Another one...no way. And the other one I rely on...sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. Even the Debian archives have given up on it. All of them work just fine on 17.x...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am
sgtor wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 pm I know you weren't asking me but the one piece of software I need windows for is tax software. I run a windows vm and start it up every once in a while to let it update and that's when I truly realize what a headache it is to use windows...
I'm quite the opposite. I run Linux to get a couple of freebies that are megabucks in the Windows world...
Yeh, I guess there's an evolution of software on both systems that seems to follow different paths:
Linux:
No software available for task you want to do>software without gui>useable software with gui but not very good>acceptable software almost as good as windows>software as good as or better than windows>various pieces of good software>continuing improvement

Windows:
Software the gui which is a bit buggy>great software>increasingly expensive software with new features that are just there to sell the latest version

For video editing software, Linux is great for me as it is towards the later stages of evolution (but in the past I had to use windows). For tax software, I guess it's still in early stages so windows only option. Maybe we can pray to the linux god that someone will start development :lol:
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

This thread has renewed my interest in LMDE & I'm tempted to give the new one a spin. 8)
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am I run Linux to get a couple of freebies that are megabucks in the Windows world.
I'd be interested to know what those are! Is GIMP one of them? :)
ud6 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am Yeh, I guess there's an evolution of software on both systems that seems to follow different paths ...
I agree with your summary & as for video editing, I used to use Nero with Windows and its later editions became an obstacle course with all its licencing nonsense. A real pleasure to discover the excellent Kdenlive .. & I can run that on any of my machines, not just one per licence, as with Nero etc.. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BG405 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:00 pm This thread has renewed my interest in LMDE & I'm tempted to give the new one a spin. 8)
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am I run Linux to get a couple of freebies that are megabucks in the Windows world.
I'd be interested to know what those are! Is GIMP one of them? :)
ud6 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am Yeh, I guess there's an evolution of software on both systems that seems to follow different paths ...
I agree with your summary & as for video editing, I used to use Nero with Windows and its later editions became an obstacle course with all its licencing nonsense. A real pleasure to discover the excellent Kdenlive .. & I can run that on any of my machines, not just one per licence, as with Nero etc.. :mrgreen:
One is an old version of Photoshop I have archived and the other is a newsreader. Yup, still use the Newsgroups. You can get free ones for Windows but they don't work very well.

As far as Nero, I never cared for it very much at all anyway. Another reason to run Linux. I have LiVES and Avidemux, both compiled by hand to get the most bang for the 'buck'. Besides, the LiVES version on 17 is 2.2.0 and it crashes whenever it opens a video. They still haven't replaced it.

I actually stopped using the Photoshop because I was able to get AfterShot Pro from Corel for $29.95, and I have it running on both Linux and Windows...on the same license. Can't beat a deal like that!

But after years of running Linux for the freebies you could get, I'm stuck. And Windows 10 sure isn't worth $199!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am As far as Nero, I never cared for it very much at all anyway.
It was the best of a bad bunch as far as I was concerned but worked well for my needs .. up to Nero 6 anyway.

7 was a disaster. 8 fixed a lot of the issues but then you're in to authentication territory i.e. every time you want to transcode a video it wants online confirmation of the licence key or something like that. It's been a while.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BG405 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:28 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am As far as Nero, I never cared for it very much at all anyway.
It was the best of a bad bunch as far as I was concerned but worked well for my needs .. up to Nero 6 anyway.

7 was a disaster. 8 fixed a lot of the issues but then you're in to authentication territory i.e. every time you want to transcode a video it wants online confirmation of the licence key or something like that. It's been a while.
Indeed. I stopped at Nero 6 as well.

Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

Fred Barclay wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm Sadly, dual-boot. The day they release One Note for Linux is the day I go for total erase!
I'm running OneNote 2010 in Linux with Crossover and it runs fine.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Standard LinuxMint Haas always run very well on my 2011 MBP. Over the years, I've always found Debian-based distros to be the most solid and stable of anything I've ever tried. My next laptop will either be a Purism one, or it will be done standard thing which then will be running LinuxMint as well.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Portreve wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:42 pm Standard LinuxMint Haas always run very well on my 2011 MBP. Over the years, I've always found Debian-based distros to be the most solid and stable of anything I've ever tried. My next laptop will either be a Purism one, or it will be done standard thing which then will be running LinuxMint as well.
I started with Mint in 2006. Too Mickey Mouse. Ventured as far as Arch. Came back to Mint. Stoic is good!

I keep playing with other Distros, but Mint is home.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Can't wait for Tessa to get here!

(she's my daughter, out on the West Coast. Should be home for Christmas...;) )

sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am Yup, still use the Newsgroups.
I was looking at some newsgroups myself and I found most of them were either empty or full of spam and the moderated ones were so quiet they weren't worth checking. Are there actually good ones worth watching out there?

You know what I remember from the old days? Archie and Gopher servers. I guess Gopher is tedious these days if you compare it to WWW.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Fred Barclay wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm
Pierre wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:23 pm is that dual_ boot on the Pro ?
Sadly, dual-boot. The day they release One Note for Linux is the day I go for total erase!
I think this is too much extra crap just get the "OneNote" application to work.

https://medium.com/pcfixes-com-tech-sup ... 5ef2051138

I have used EverNote for nearly two decades now.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sgtor wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:30 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am Yup, still use the Newsgroups.
I was looking at some newsgroups myself and I found most of them were either empty or full of spam and the moderated ones were so quiet they weren't worth checking. Are there actually good ones worth watching out there?

You know what I remember from the old days? Archie and Gopher servers. I guess Gopher is tedious these days if you compare it to WWW.
LOLO! Yup, the good old days. With a 14,400 baud modem!

You have to search for content on Usenet now, but it's still there!

keithrbau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithrbau »

re: The day they release One Note for Linux is the day I go for total erase!

I gave one-note away when I noticed it kept only part of my copied notes. Used it mainly on Android tablet, but there is a web page to access your notes from anywhere.
Keith Bainbridge from Oz

Mint user for several years. Incourageable player (breaker?)
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

One Note? I had to look it up:
"Microsoft OneNote is a computer program for free-form information gathering and multi-user collaboration. It gathers users' notes, drawings, screen clippings and audio commentaries. Notes can be shared with other OneNote users over the Internet or a network. Wikipedia"

not so sure that I would want something like that on my computer, it sounds inherently insecure... but surely there must be a Linux equivalent

maybe one of these: https://alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-onenote/
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:08 am Yup, the good old days. With a 14,400 baud modem!
Think I started out with a 28K modem, then 33K & 56K as soon as they were affordable & supported. Interesting to read that Usenet is still there; I've never seen or used it (or any other early BBS-type service (I assume this is what it is)) as I wasn't online until late 1996 & started using Forums around Y2K. I'll have to look out of curiosity. :)
sdibaja wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:06 am not so sure that I would want something like that on my computer, it sounds inherently insecure...
I wouldn't be keen on that either, but maybe using sandboxing for any shared resources will be a mitigating factor. It does sound useful but we also have the likes of GitHub for collaborating on software projects & DropBox etc. for sharing notes & files. I'd guess there are more options for Linux users vs. MS users for this sort of thing.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

vonMos wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 am I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x on compatibility with my old ultra book... drum rolls ... Linux Mint Debian Editon 3 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yep, it's better, runs smoothly and faster than 18.x or 19.x, this is why i always loved Debian, from 2005 when i installed it for the first time :) and with Cinnamon is a good OS. :P
The kernel is the 4.9 long term, even better than stock LM19.x, never liked those PPA's to be frank..Loading time is quick and shutdown time is instant, i don't have the time to rise from the chair :)), so a little more work by the dev team on LMDE 3 would make it the perfect OS.
feellike looking at this thread? thanks

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=283384&p=1565181#p1565181

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”