I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by vonMos »

I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x on compatibility with my old ultra book... drum rolls ... Linux Mint Debian Editon 3 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yep, it's better, runs smoothly and faster than 18.x or 19.x, this is why i always loved Debian, from 2005 when i installed it for the first time :) and with Cinnamon is a good OS. :P
The kernel is the 4.9 long term, even better than stock LM19.x, never liked those PPA's to be frank..Loading time is quick and shutdown time is instant, i don't have the time to rise from the chair :)), so a little more work by the dev team on LMDE 3 would make it the perfect OS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by Pierre »

we know - LMDE3 is sweet as
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If they released a version with something other than Cinnamon I might get interested.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you could just install mint-meta-mate from the Package Manager,
that should work, too.

particularly if you have a light-weight machine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

vonMos wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 amLinux Mint Debian Editon 3
I've been wanting to try it but it's named after my crazy ex-wife.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am If they released a version with something other than Cinnamon I might get interested.
ditto
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Running LMDE3 (VM) with XFCE/btrfs; loads faster and runs smoother than any of my other VMs.
snowflake

Post by snowflake »

vonMos wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 am I found a better OS than Linux Mint
well played lol, I took the bait & clicked expecting some flames :oops:
yeah LMDE3 is nice, & arguably faster, but I'm sticking to Mint 18.3 for the time being, because It earned my trust, after all we been through together, It deserves another year
cheers
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

snowflake wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:32 pm
vonMos wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 am I found a better OS than Linux Mint
well played lol, I took the bait & clicked expecting some flames :oops:
yeah LMDE3 is nice, & arguably faster, but I'm sticking to Mint 18.3 for the time being, because It earned my trust, after all we been through together, It deserves another year
cheers
Switched from 18.3 last night, 19.x does not work on my ultrabook, works slow as duck... LMDE3 works better/faster/stronger :)) than 18.3
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

vonMos wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 amdrum rolls ... Linux Mint Debian Editon 3
I would have LOL'd (and was kind of expecting) if you'd said something like "Windows 10" or "Mac OS X".

Awwwww... I want my laugh!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

vonMos wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:19 pm Switched from 18.3 last night, 19.x does not work on my ultrabook, works slow as duck... LMDE3 works better/faster/stronger :)) than 18.3
I'm going to try it on my Surface Pro instead of its current resident, Kubuntu 18.04. :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

is that dual_ boot on the Pro ?

or did you go for the Total Erase :mrgreen:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Pierre wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:23 pm is that dual_ boot on the Pro ?
Sadly, dual-boot. The day they release One Note for Linux is the day I go for total erase!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
webwrx

Post by webwrx »

vonMos wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:19 pm Switched from 18.3 last night, 19.x does not work on my ultrabook, works slow as duck... LMDE3 works better/faster/stronger :)) than 18.3
Similar experience with this 2007 Macbook. Tried 20 different distros... including the usual suspects promoted as being "good for low spec hardware"... which gave me nothing but trouble with failed installs, missing wifi drivers, or the system would freeze up for 30 sec when accessing the settings app, or just feels like an "experiment" to use some of these distros which didn't instill confidence. But I kept coming back to the Mint distros that worked great out of the box without stuffing around, and found on this hardware LMDE3 boots 4x quicker than Tara (2 mins compared with 8 mins). Super happy and confident with using it... and even though it does take 2 mins to cold boot (this thing *is* 11yo so I don't expect miracles), I know it's going to work reliably and always really zippy once it's up which is miraculous.... and to get around the 2min boot I just suspend it instead to get my almost-instant start up. AAA+++

Hats off to everyone involved in the project. :))

Some tiny weirdness with yesterday's update. "Firefox" turned into 2 duplicated entries on the menu "Firefox ESR" and "Iceweasel -> Firefox ESR"... I did a bit of research and found this has been going on for ages in Debian distros and they're exactly the same thing... not sure why I get them both coming up on the menu but I used the menu config to hide the Iceweasel menu item. Besides that -- perfect for me !!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Flemur wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am
Your crazy ex-wife is named Debian?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

catweazel wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:28 am
Flemur wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am
Your crazy ex-wife is named Debian?
CINDY but if the software is less crazy - let's have a look...
webwrx

Post by webwrx »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 am CINDY but if the software is less crazy - let's have a look...
Give Cindy a chance, because you'll be waiting many years for Jan and Marsha !! :lol:
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

Portreve wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:17 pm
vonMos wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 amdrum rolls ... Linux Mint Debian Editon 3
I would have LOL'd (and was kind of expecting) if you'd said something like "Windows 10" or "Mac OS X".

Awwwww... I want my laugh!
I have installed Windows 10 R5 today on a machine...TOTAL GARBAGE... dude what the duck... it's even worst than the first 2016/2017 version ... a lot of configurations, sign in's...waste of space 18gb only the operating system... i have Windows 10 R4 on workstation PC, i can't switch to Linux because i have some specific Windows only programs...but in some 1-2 years i will fully switch to Debian on the workstation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have been running LMDE3 in a VM just to play and did put it on an old Lenovo that I run as a PiHole server - really like it - very snappy and boots fast. I may switch to it at some point. I did run into some install issues when I tried to install it on a PC - it just would not boot after the install for some reason so ended up putting LM19 on that PC . . . . oh well.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

Fred Barclay wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm Sadly, dual-boot. The day they release One Note for Linux is the day I go for total erase!
Can't you use one-note online? I don't use one-note but I am compelled to use one-drive and outlook for my work and I just use office 365 online versions. Indeed, for some reasons windows never seemed to sync one-drive properly and I gave up trying.

Saying that; there is some comfort retaining windows in dual boot even if I never ever use it (I guess for compatibility testing, without having to ask someone else).
vonMos wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 pm I have installed Windows 10 R5 today on a machine...TOTAL GARBAGE... dude what the duck... it's even worst than the first 2016/2017 version ... a lot of configurations, sign in's...waste of space 18gb only the operating system... i have Windows 10 R4 on workstation PC, i can't switch to Linux because i have some specific Windows only programs...but in some 1-2 years i will fully switch to Debian on the workstation.
What's the software you need in Windows you can't use in Linux? I guess I used to use video editing and stats software, but with improvements to kdenlive and the prevalence of stats analysis in R now, I really can't think of anything in windows I need - though I miss VBA in excel. I guess games is main think, though never did PC games :shock: :lol:
I really think these last 2 years are the first time that linux can truly fully replace windows for me.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”