Solved posts not edited to (Solved)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Solved posts not edited to (Solved)

Post by farkas »

Just a minor beef about posters not editing posts solved when they are solved.
I'm sure that not every poster reads guidelines and policies before posting. It would be great if everyone did.
I have been using LM since 17.3. Reinstalled and upgraded to 19. Very happy with them all. Received many answers to posts about hardware and software questions, thanks to all who responded.
However when looking through forum topics searching for an answer when I get to the last post, often I see that the problem was solved, with thanks and appreciations, but the subject post was not edited (Solved).
In "Forum Rules, Guidelines, and Policy" it suggests " Indicate Solved Topics". It would be nice if everybody would do so. It would make searching for answers a bit easier. I suggest that when post a new topic window opens after "POST A NEW TOPIC" , or somewhere prominent put a reminder to edit as solved when there was a resolution of the problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Solved posts not edited to (Solved)

Post by wallyUSA »

stevep3129 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:20 am I suggest that when post a new topic window opens after "POST A NEW TOPIC" , or somewhere prominent put a reminder to edit as solved when there was a resolution of the problem.
Great idea!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The undoubtedly even greater idea (for those that care) would be for this forum to devise a less clumsy way of marking a thread solved than manually editing the topic of the initial post...
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

rene wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 am The undoubtedly even greater idea (for those that care) would be for this forum to devise a less clumsy way of marking a thread solved than manually editing the topic of the initial post...
Perhaps a SOLVED button!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

It maybe that not everybody reads forum rules and guidelines
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.
Could this be added as the last line in the "Announcements" section of each forum. Or something similar but shorter. It might help to remind users.

How do I add that line to the bottom of my posts?
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
DJF113
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DJF113 »

Go to your username in the top right corner, then Profile/Edit Profile/Edit Signature. At least that's how mine is set up after I already made one! :D
Alienware 17R4, i7-7820HK, 16GB DDR4, 256SSD, 1TBHDD, Nvidia GeForce GTX1070, Win10/LM19 (Gaming Rig)
Dell Inspiron 17 5758, i5-4210U, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Linux Mint 19
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Thanks DJF113.
Even though you just joined Mint forums you've already made a contribution. I still consider myself as a newbie. I try to help other users with my previous solutions as much as experience allows. Keep being involved in Mint forums. I'm not sure of how many of your 250 characters you used up, if you could somehow squeeze in "Mark posts (Solved) when when they are solved" into your signature.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

wallyUSA wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am Perhaps a SOLVED button!
This is of course a great idea, and if it were possible to add this to the forum software without using non-native plugins, I suspect we'd have had it years ago. It's not like we mods prefer to mark member's posts as solved by hand because we have nothing better to do... :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Reply to Moem.
Thank you!
I made a new post on this issue, please look at my new post. Do you think it is reasonable?
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=291226
Thanks.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:07 am
wallyUSA wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am Perhaps a SOLVED button!
This is of course a great idea, and if it were possible to add this to the forum software without using non-native plugins, I suspect we'd have had it years ago. It's not like we mods prefer to mark member's posts as solved by hand because we have nothing better to do... :wink:
Breaking: Linux Mint forums discriminate against non-native plugins. ;)

But seriously, a couple of plugins like that one, @mentions, multi-quote, etc. that would increase the usability of these forums quite a bit.

edit to add: And while you're at it fix my biggest pet issue: Block notifications and PMs from people on my block list. If I block them it means I don't want to see them again, not allow them to spam me with PMs and notifications. ;)
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJF113
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DJF113 »

stevep3129 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:32 pm I'm not sure of how many of your 250 characters you used up, if you could somehow squeeze in "Mark posts (Solved) when when they are solved" into your signature.
Glad I was able to help! I'll see if I can get that in there. If nothing else, I'll shorten something else.
Alienware 17R4, i7-7820HK, 16GB DDR4, 256SSD, 1TBHDD, Nvidia GeForce GTX1070, Win10/LM19 (Gaming Rig)
Dell Inspiron 17 5758, i5-4210U, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Linux Mint 19
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

stevep3129 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:39 am I made a new post on this issue, please look at my new post. Do you think it is reasonable?
I do, but that has no bearing on whether or not it's going to happen. I'm not in charge, and like I said , if it were possible under the limitations we're dealing with, don't you think it would have happened a long time ago?

I'm also unsure why we need a new thread about this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Moem wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:17 am I'm also unsure why we need a new thread about this.
Maybe because this one was already marked (Solved)? :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”