I'd like to learn to manage my linux system, starting from scratch !

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karen vst

I'd like to learn to manage my linux system, starting from scratch !

Post by karen vst »

Hi, I'm new here. Been using Linux for a couple of years now but to my regret I have not done much effort (so far) to get deeper into the management of my system. So reading the instructions of the many friendly and helpful contributors turns out to be rather confusing. Currently my PC runs Mint 18.2 "Sonya" and I have no particular problems apart from two facts :
1. I have to upgrade my Mozilla Firefox 54.0 to 63.0 and I have no idea to go about it
2. Do I need to upgrade Mint 18.2 to a newer version and would this necessitate a total new install or can I upgrade from the current version ?

Also I'd like to find a tutorial to learn the basic actions for managing my Linux system so that I can understand and execute the instructions shared by other Linux users.

I know, many questions but I hope someone can help me on the way !

Many thanks in advance for your advice !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I'd like to learn to manage my linux system, starting from scratch !

Post by xenopeek »

Firefox 63.0 is available through Update Manager. It's the shield icon in the lower right of your screen; or you can open it from your menu (it's in the administration category). You're generally recommended to install all security updates in Update Manager. If there is an update for Update Manager itself, you must first install that before you get to see other available updates.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hi karen vst,

All good questions!

There's really not much to managing the system. If fact, I find that most people who try to keep it "maintained" by over doing it, the more one can get into trouble.

I now have version 19, so I'm not exactly sure of the wording/settings for 18.2 but:

Keep the system updated through the Update Manager. You can set the preferences in Update Manager under Edit, Preferences. Most members recommend keeping the "Always show security updates" and "Always select security updates" so that the'll be included in any updates that come through. Also, I'd highly recommend that you leave the "Hide the update manager after applying updates" unchecked so that you'll see if there are updates to be applied.

For 18.2, you can select 5 levels of what types of updates that will show and/or get selected. That's up to you to decide. I believe the default for 18.2 is Levels 1-3 to be visible and selected, level 4 to be visible but not selected, and 5 not to show at all. Many members haven't had problems at all with letting all levels be visible and selected.

With the EXT4 filesystem as opposed to NTFS, there's no need for defragmenting the hard drive.
karen vst wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 am 1. I have to upgrade my Mozilla Firefox 54.0 to 63.0 and I have no idea to go about it
Xenopeek, as always, has given you instructions on how to do that.
karen vst wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 am 2. Do I need to upgrade Mint 18.2 to a newer version and would this necessitate a total new install or can I upgrade from the current version ?
No, you don't need to upgrade your 18.2 to a newer version. If you're happy with 18.2, I'd stay with it. All versions of 18.x are supported until 2021 so there's no rush. If you'd like, you can upgrade to 18.3 within the Update Manager. I don't remember how it shows up in 18.2 Update Manager, but I think is was an option that appears in one of Update Manager's menus or it shows as an update like all other updates. Updating within the major releases (such as 18.2 to 18.2 doesn't required a new install)

You can also update from 18.3 to 19, but that's more involved and I think not really recommended. You'd be better of doing a fresh install of 19, after making backups of important files as always.
karen vst

Post by karen vst »

Hi Jerry,

Thank you very much for your very kind and helpful reply.
I have copied it to a file and will start working on my system soon.

All the best to you !

Karen

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”