HP Pavilion dv2 (2009) - how to boot Live LM 19 Cin USB

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michael louwe

HP Pavilion dv2 (2009) - how to boot Live LM 19 Cin USB

Post by michael louwe »

I just got my hands on a used 2009 HP Pavilion dv2 -1123ax Win Vista netbook that has no DVD-writer. The Live LM 19 Cinnamon USB would not boot = ends up with the busybox, no live system found messages and a blinking cursor = forced to do a hard shutdown. From a Google-Search answer for Ubuntu 9 from 2009, turns out the simple fix is to unplug and replug the USB when the LM splash screen with 5 dots appears. So, the Live USB booted OK and most everything works.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/366678
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 75269.html

HP computers seem to have a lot of issues with Linux or is the issue Linux's unpopularity.?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: HP Pavilion dv2 (2009) - how to boot Live LM 19 Cin USB

Post by kukamuumuka »

Add to the syslinux.cfg‘s append line live-media=/dev/sdb1 if you have one hard drive
live-media=/dev/sdc1 if you have two hard drives
live-media=/dev/sdd1 if you have three hard drives

https://puolanka.info/goto/if-live-usb- ... initramfs/
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:35 am Add to the syslinux.cfg‘s append line live-media=/dev/sdb1 if you have one hard drive
live-media=/dev/sdc1 if you have two hard drives
live-media=/dev/sdd1 if you have three hard drives

https://puolanka.info/goto/if-live-usb- ... initramfs/
Thanks, but the link you provided seems to be geo-restricted or region-restricted.

Not sure how to do the above command lines.

My issue is that when I plugged in the Live LM 19 Cin USB and select the USB-stick as the 1st boot device, the failed boot process is as follows;
1. A screen with "Automatic boot in 10 seconds" appears and counting down to zero,
2. The LM splash screen with the 5 progress dots appears. This last for a minute or two,
3. Then some lines of acpi error codes appear and the last message being "no live medium found", which then eventually ends with the initramfs cursor.
4. Had to do a forced hard shutdown.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 am
Thanks, but the link you provided seems to be geo-restricted or region-restricted.
Do you use proxy or satellite provider?
michael louwe wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 am Not sure how to do the above command lines.
Edit USB's syslinux.cfg file.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:14 am Do you use proxy or satellite provider?
No, just normal Internet from a local ISP.
administrollaattori wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:14 am Edit USB's syslinux.cfg file.
OK, thanks. That means I have to access the Live LM 19 USB-stick from a running Linux system, or another Live Linux system to do the file edit. I think I will stick with the unplug-replug fix = simpler.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Seems, on Win 7, by connecting the Ethernet cable, Wifi is disabled and remains disabled even after disconnecting the Ethernet cable = no more Wifi blue light but amber light at the side. The touchpad was also disabled. Wonder whether the same will happen on LM 19.

After some Googling, the simple fix was to unplug and replug the battery for a few seconds, to reenable Wifi and touchpad.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

michael louwe wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:22 am Seems, on Win 7, by connecting the Ethernet cable, Wifi is disabled and remains disabled even after disconnecting the Ethernet cable = no more Wifi blue light but amber light at the side. The touchpad was also disabled. Wonder whether the same will happen on LM 19.
I had HP Pavilion dv2, and it worked fine with Mint 17 Mate. I cannot remember any problems with networking, so obviously Mint 19 should work as well.

If wifi if unavailable, run

Code: Select all

rfkill list
sudo rfkill unblock all

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”